Some favourites from my collection

Icyjade

Hi! It's taken a bit of thinking on my part and reading of old discussions re: posting pearl pics on PG vs PS or on both, but what finally pushed me to create a new thread here is because I think I should stop hijacking other threads on PG and also as some of my pearl friends seem to have migrated here permanently. :p

So that it's not a replica of what I'm posting on my PS thread, I'll keep this thread to absolute favourites from my collection. I.e. the ones that still take my breath away when I take them out from storage.

Ok, enough of my rambling. On with some pics!

I'll start with my latest favourites that I recently purchased at the 2015 Singapore Jewellery and Gem Fair. I've been looking for a WSSP strand for the longest time and finally took the plunge this year, and then I got another GSSP strand that I couldn't resist as well.

I think the WSSP looks better on my neck and the GSSP looks better on my dresser/table/neck bust. So a bit more photos of my GSSP since it really photographs better with its rich colour and overtone. But I think I'll be wearing the WSSP a lot more.

Details:
- GSSP strand from Eiko Pearl - 11.1-14.8 mm deep golden off-round with strong pink n green overtones. 35 pearls/28.1mom
- WSSP strand from Eiko Pearl - 10.2-14.4 mm oval with slight pink n green tones (?) - 35 pearls/24.3mom

Shaded daylight
image.jpg

image.jpg

Office, fluorescent light
image.jpg

image.jpg

In the convention centre (during the fair)
image.jpg

The two strands I got are the ones in the middle, second and third from the top
image.jpg

And then the goldens.

Shaded daylight
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fluorescent light (office toilet haha)
image.jpg

This is a continuation of postings on this thread https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9258&page=5

Yeah, that's what I mean about thread-jacking... :p

Totally gorgeous GSS and WSS pearls, Icy Jade, I always am thrilled to see more beautiful pearl photos! The overtones on the goldens are most interesting!

The stringing method on the GSS, is it on designer wire, with little white "bumpers" between? Are the WSS done the same way? The pinch clasps are easy to work; I personally love them!

Thank you. I love the overtones too. Yes it is strung on wires with a silicon bumper between each pearl. Both strands strung the same way and with the bean type pinch clasps.

I thought of using more 'glam' clasps but Eiko Pearl didn't bring other types of clasps along...

Thanks, IcyJade, I'm over there once in a while, but def here most often, so I'm grateful for your pics here. That's a brilliant photo, the overtones come right through on my cell phone!

And here are more! I find that the photos posted are much better on PG (vs PS). Richer colours on my screen.

Icy, your pearls make my heart sing...and my head swoon! They are gorgeous.

Thank you. They make my heart sing too. :D

Icy your new pearls are of course TDF I just love them. The new avatar is jaw dropping too. Congratulations and enjoy your new beauties :)

Thank you. I only just figured out how to change my avatar. :rolleyes:

IcyJade, the remarkable overtones on the GSS necklace are mesmerizing ... fantastic!

Thank you.

Holy Moly ! Those are the prettiest Golden pearls I've seen in ages! They are the same colour as a single oval pearl I saw the other day at a show ... I can now imagine what these beauties look like in real life !! That combo of pink and green ... well I was stunned by the pearl I looked at...if it had been a whole strand I might have fainted LOL ! Truly Jealous!!!

Hehe. If we ever meet up I will bring this along.

Wow IcyJade your strand is a crazy rich colour. I would say 24k or deeper comparing it to my 22k PP strand.

Thanks! I hope it's 24k too. I was told it's a rare deep colour but the vendor doesn't use a colour scale I think.

Quick question, are these strung on wire with little separate spacers between the pearls? If so, that looks like a brilliant way to "string" such lovely pearls!

Yes. I think it means that I won't have to restring them often since wires won't stretch? I forgot to ask the vendor but I'll do so at the next fair if I remember.

I think those are the knots?

Those are silicon bumper/spacers. ;)

Cool! I've never seen silicone spacers! I wonder who sells them? I see some for Pandora type beads but these look smaller.

I've never heard of the silicone spacers before either. How does it affect the "drape" of the pearl strand?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links!

The beading wire is stronger than silk, so the lack of knots probably isn't putting the pearls at risk of loss, as long as the crimps hold.

The silicone spacer keeps the wire centered and away from the edges of the drill hole, so they shouldn't be worn down by the wire.
For a short necklace the drape should be just fine, but I also wonder about how a long necklace would hang at the bottom.

Ladies - I remember Sheri has posted her strand which was strung on wire of some sort with Beadalon bumper beads (easier for ladies on the States side to order) so she can wear her strand while scuba diving (how awesome is that!). Attaching the link here, and her posting is somewhere middle of the page.
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7943&page=29&p=130830&highlight=bumper#post130830

Quite frankly, I string everything on softflex with bumper beads of some sort (seed pearls, silicone beads, 2mm labradorite beads, etc) for everything since I haven't figured out how to knot with Beader's Secret or Powerflex, yet. =P

Like Pearl Dreams mentioned, I find the drape for shorter necklaces totally fine. I used wire for my Gellner "big bang" style layers too and find that while it is indeed a tiny bit stiffer, it is still quite wearable (and a lot less work)!

Purranha, thanks so much for the link to the bead bumpers! It's great they come in different colors. Looks like a great item to have on hand, and they don't cost a lot, either.

Those bead bumpers are pretty cool. And I absolutely agree about the two stage crimp...unless using the twisted crimps (which I believe Pearl Dreams turned me on to!)

eta: and now that I've been thinking...I would like to use some bead bumpers on my large ripple pearls...those seem to cut into the knots and fray them...this would be a perfect solution!

I'm looking forward to more photos! Couldn't make it to Singapore this year but one day.

I've never heard of the silicone spacers before either. How does it affect the "drape" of the pearl strand?

Drapes well for the two SSP strands. If anything I feel that the wires give a nicer curve to the strands since they are relatively heavier and could 'droop' if strung?

Thanks for the links!

The beading wire is stronger than silk, so the lack of knots probably isn't putting the pearls at risk of loss, as long as the crimps hold.

The silicone spacer keeps the wire centered and away from the edges of the drill hole, so they shouldn't be worn down by the wire.
For a short necklace the drape should be just fine, but I also wonder about how a long necklace would hang at the bottom.

I'm curious too. Plus how easily will the wire bend/flex/break if we want to wear a long necklace as double/triple? Anyone has experiences/tried?

Also how often should wire strung necklaces be re-done?

BTW, I saw the Eiko's crimping method is just to flatten the crimping beads with a flat plier.
Personally, I feel the 2 stage U-shaped crimping method is more secure and looks cleaner.
I found a satisfactory guide online on how to do the 2-step crimping method.
http://www.artbeads.com/howtousecrto.html

Thanks! I'll refer to this if I'm ever brave enough to try re-stringing/wiring.

I'm looking forward to more photos! Couldn't make it to Singapore this year but one day.

Yes, so either in July or October then. ;)

... Plus how easily will the wire bend/flex/break if we want to wear a long necklace as double/triple? Anyone has experiences/tried?

Also how often should wire strung necklaces be re-done? ...

I've never had to redo any of my wire necklaces, and I've never had the wire break.

Icyjade ... wonderful thread, gorgeous pearl! The GSS leave me breathless :)

Icy your pearls are stunners and limiting your pictures to only the favorites is a shame. For me all your pearl choices are favorites :)

Back