Tiny treasure

Very cool! Looks like early to mid 1800's to me. This could definitely be from Scotland - do you know if it could have possibly come from there? If it has been in your family - do you know if any of your ancestors have been to Scotland? The reason I say this is because I'm pretty certain it's a Scottish "Thistle" design. That's what immediately came to my mind - and I'd bet money on it that it is a pearl interpretation of one. I've never seen one this nice!

A lot of brooches were made during that time with this design. It normally consisted of one "bulb" then the whispy leaves! Here are a few examples so you can see what I'm talking about...

8504_006-_03.jpg
images.jpg
thistle1.jpg
il_340x270.497817713_7792.jpg

Annette...now you say, it does look a little thistly...the stalk portion is twisted like a spiky stem! It's a tempting idea too, that they could be scottish pearls...I'm forever on the look-out ;-)

Oh! I wasn't aware that Scottish (river?) Pearls were so desirable. I'm very new to pearls so I'm reading up on it now... and I already want some! :D

Right when I saw the brooch I knew it was a thistle. It looks very much like the design I'm so used to seeing. And the thought they could be a special type of pearl makes it even more exciting. Is there any way to find out for certain? In any case, I hope you have fun wearing it. :) It's so lovely and it being with the original box is very cool!

Oh yeah! I grabbed that off the internet from a jewelry collection site (I think). The blue really makes those pearls pop! They need to give it a clean, though... :rolleyes:

Have you checked over the metal for a hallmark? If it's a British piece, it's likely to be hallmarked, and that would tie down year, type of metal and city where it was hallmarked.

It's so charming -
And, any jewelry that comes in its own fitted box gains like x1000 in cach?.

Elizabeth

Back