Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Thank you all for the akoya earrings love! I admit I am smitten with these! Just a proof that one should really see as many pearls in person as possible... When I first started to appreciate pearls and took the Pearls as one course (which is such an amazing amazing learning tool, I am so grateful for it! ) and was reading about white akoyas especially the pink overtone ones I thought these were definitely not for me. Fastforward 5 years and here I am working on my pink akoya necklace project ( it will be a reward for my no-buy year I decided ;-))))))

Oh echo so sorry to hear about your package nightmare!!! Karma will take care of the dishonest person but I totally feel your disappointment!!! I have had an akoya package “lost” too recently ( what is there in the air about missing pearly packages????) it came out of customs and just disappeared...It was an etsy purchase and I was given etsy credit but like jeg and you, of course I really really wanted those pearls...

On the brighter side, thank you for educating me about the Australian pearls, I had no idea there were black-lipped farms too there! Your set is lovely, simple but with an impact.

Talking about Australian pearls, I only knew of Paspaley and one of my recent guilty pleasures is gazing at their Lavalier Collection... I have seen some amazing pictures on the PS pearl forum and I am dreaming about these quite intensely...Especially a pendant...

SurfnSci Such pretty blues! I join all the others wondering “why do I not have a blue akoya bracelet yet?” My wishlist is always expanding when I am looking at this forum...

jeg Love everything as always:heart: And I really need a coat like yours too!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your shipping woes
Definitely not fun when you have not only invested money, but the time in selecting the Pearls for a special project.

I also have a similar story to yours with Akoya eolian pearls

The first Akoya Pearls I ever saw belonged to my mom. These were dyed black and were just awful. Then I saw more, mostly creamy yellowish in color and of low quality. These are the Akoya that made it into Mexico.
But when I became involved in the pearling industry I started seeing more and more beautiful Akoya. The Pearls as One course also allowed me to open my mind to the Akoya experience. Now I am a fan
​​​​​​​

I certainly hope for a better ending and those people were being honest, echo! That is soooo disappointing.

Eolian and Douglas, I had the opposite experience with Akoya. They were always around me growing up. The older generations all had the classic strands and most of them wore brooches on their coats. I guess I really didn’t appreciate them as much because they were a staple for the elders and always around. I also got to go to Mikimoto Island as a kid, and later visited one of the Mikimoto stores in the Ginza. The highlight was watching the pearl divers more than the pearls. (I was in middle school:dunno:) My mom gave my sister her Mikimoto strand several years ago. I have always been disappointed about that, mostly because I am the one who loves pearls and would’ve appreciated it, so the disappointment is more that my mom didn’t give that any thought, not because of the brand. Eolian, I am also working on an Akoya strand! I was always a big Sex and the City fan, and the new reboot with Carrie wearing a small strand of Akoya has me wanting one.

I think there might have been some mention about those Lavalier pieces here quite a while back, eolian. I wouldn’t begin to remember the thread, but I think it was Purrahna who created something like that net look. Maybe a splurge for you to save for on your ban? I do not have the will power to be on a ban!

Wearing the bubbles Tahitian and sister strand from Kojima, with studs from CMW.
D875C6BA-F47C-453E-AC80-3EBB7A00B404.jpeg
282FD5F8-E79B-4897-9EC6-0C7F76F32486.jpeg

A very different story indeed jeg and quite interesting to hear about it! The first time I was exposed to pearls...I was probably 3-4 years old (1973 or 74?) and my Oma took me to Sea World in San Diego and we went to see the "Ama Diver Show", she purchased an Akoya and that was the first pearl I ever saw in my life. She then went to explain that she would find pearl oysters on the beach after storms came and she would find natural pearls in them (sometimes). That was my first exposure to pearls and like you Jeg: I was more interested in the Ama Divers!
I would have never believed then that I would one day become involved in pearl farming.

Those two are such special strands jeg and they have the most amazing colors.
Noone in my family ever had any pearls at all. My father once gave my mother a majolica strand, but she told me she didn't really like pearls, even though I don't count them as pearls. Maybe I am a changeling....I have always wanted a pearl strand. For the longest time a white one but they were to expensive when my childen were small. Then I got interested in vintage jewelry, mostly with colorful gems and marcasites and one day found some vintage akoyas. I hadn't even thought about buying vintage ones. I bought quite a lot of few, restored some. Gave some to the childen. I did have a good one but I gave it to my sons fiance, 7,5mm with a white gold and diamond clasp. The other once are since long tassels or wavestrands. I did discover all the other pearls and since I have my good white south sea strand from Cees I don't even miss those strands. I am going to have to have a little talk with my mother about me being a changeling...hm...in sweden almost everyone have such boring jewelry. They also don't consider jeans to be proper for christmas or such gatherings...changeling for sure.

I do hope for a smooth ending instead of a lengthy battle to get refund Eolian Pearls, jeg and Douglas. Quite a let down not just the incident, but also how the vendor reacted and handled his mistake. Lesson learned for me I guess.

eolian pearls you are very kind. It is my pleasure to share the little pearl passion I have with all you lovely people here. Lavalier is probably the most iconic creation from Paspaley. I have been eyeing on them but the price just kept me away. Here in Australia Paspaley is a very high end store like LV, Chanel, etc. To go into their store you have to pass the security guards at the door. Not my preferred style of shopping but some people love the exclusivity. I have a pair of Paspaley pearl drops that are absolutely wonders. So if you are thinking a pendant I think it will worth it because a good WSS has such thick nacre and beautiful orient that is far more superior than any other white pearl out there.

Thank you all so much for the kind compliments! I have a longstanding love for blue pearls. No one in my family growing up really wore pearls, except faux white strands on special occasions. My pearl love began when I went to Michael's craft store in my early teens and found a package of blue dyed 4-5mm potato pearls that I strung onto fishing line. I wore that necklace to high school almost daily and felt so sophisticated, haha. Fortunately I've been able to expand my blue collection over the years :D

echo What gorgeous and special pieces! Lovely luster, and I really like your pendant's pink overtones. I am lucky that I am mostly at the computer during the day, so rings are typically safe, but I do use spiral soft plastic ring guards (you can buy them on amazon and cut them to the size you want) so that the ring doesn't rotate on my finger. I feel like this helps me not to bang the pearls on things and damage it! Also, I am so very sorry about your mixed akoyas - what a horrible thing to do, signing for a stranger's package that is clearly not yours! And then the vendor's poor response. I do hope there ends up being some resolution on your end, but I agree with Eolian, karma happens!
jeg Love your lustrous JNB strand and earrings! And those lovely Kojima bracelets! And your bubbles T strand! I am totally drooling here.
eolian pearls Haha, I was also thinking why do I not have a pair of pretty, perfect akoya studs?! I've never really wanted any until I saw your new beauties!

I can't wait to see everyone's finished akoya necklaces! And perhaps blue akoya bracelets?!

Thank you Charlotta and SurfnSci! SurfnSci, you’ve come a long way from fishing wire and dyed potato pearls! And Douglas, you’ve come a long way from pearling with your Oma! I actually saw the ama divers even before the trip to Mikimoto Island. I was about six, and I still have the little Akoya pearl that they dove for for me. I knew exactly where it was-
431E59DB-3021-473C-944C-70495229F5F4.jpeg
00849249-6DCE-4904-81A7-15C4F876A4A3.jpeg

Wow jeg ! Talk about a walk down memory lane...it is fantastic you kept the shell and its pearl and even the box! Thank you for sharing this memory with us :D
And thank you for making me remember my Oma (I always do, but this memory is barely accessed these days and it is a fond one) explaining pearls to me. It is a very cherished memory.

I love everyones “pearl origin” stories!!! Such adorable memories jeg and CortezPearls!!!
jeg you really are a pearl princess! A pearl especially dived for you at 6 years old! Mikimoto island!!! Wow!
CortezPearls I love your Oma memory! It made me think about my Oma and those are lovely memories too.
SurfnSci I can just picture that blue potato pearl necklace!!! I am sure I would have been totally jealous of you had I been your classmate! Blue is my forever color!
Charlotta it’s so great to realize our childhood deams, isnt it? I bet your younger self would be fainting looking at your pearl collection now!

jeg I am so happy to see the Bubble and her other half ;-) again! Very very special necklaces, every bit as stunning as I remembered!
echo I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!
SurfnSci this akoya FWP bracelet is on you! I just couldnt get yours out of my head and remembered that I had these pearls waiting for another project (a necklace)... Not enough for an akoya only bracelet but I am quite happy with this first draft ;-) It will have an orbit clasp once it arrives but I just couldnt wait to make it today :) I finished it with the last light so the colors are a bit off, more pics to come tomorrow...

D57DEB02-8800-4C40-88E4-1070F37A305A.jpeg - Click image for larger version  Name:	D57DEB02-8800-4C40-88E4-1070F37A305A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	237.2 KB ID:	459356

Last edited:
Thank YOU, Douglas! This really was a walk down memory lane. I am surprised I still have this too, although the shell is part of the package picture. I only have the little Akoya. I guess this would be considered vintage now because I am old!:18: The idea of it all was probably the precursor to those pick a pearl kind of things, but at least way back then, it was an Akoya, and the ama in action.

Daylight here, when I’ve had a chance to take some pics, has been dismal. It’s been so so grey, and everything turns out dark and not so great. And darn, now I’m getting the uploading error box again!:frown: Not sure if I’ll be able to adjust the pics to upload. Will try again later-

Thank you, eolian! Your post must’ve snuck in while I was trying to upload the pictures this morning. Your first draft turned out terrific! Bracelets make such a great stopover on the way to becoming strands... or not.:33:

Blue Tahitian strand from Collins Pearls, blue Tahitian studs from Takahashi Pearl, and a bracelet I made.
94A882D7-604A-4F84-AAC0-6DA2CB17389E.jpeg
CE92F019-41D3-4015-A5B3-3DBA0A0A5100.jpeg

jeg That is so incredibly cool to have such a special first pearl, retrieved by a diver especially for you!!! And to still have it, wow...it is lovely. Your blue Collins strand is so amazing, it gives me #pearlgoals. I really love the bracelet you made, too; gorgeous colors... Haha, I'd like to think I have expanded my pearl horizons a bit. I still have that potato necklace buried in a box somewhere; with my sudden nostalgia I might have to find it for a wirewrap makeover.

eolian pearls Your akoya/fwp bracelet is divine! I'm really impressed you created such a beautiful piece with only a couple of days of planning. I really like the bead details, too. And goodness, what metallic luster! Can't wait to see your wrist shots!!!

Late night edit: I found it in the first placed I looked, lol - it is a lot smaller than I remember (definitely not choker length back in the day!) and not quite so blue anymore, much more grey. Gosh, I don't think I've worn this in over 20 years :p
Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_201819.jpg Views:	0 Size:	598.0 KB ID:	459368 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220119_205829.jpg Views:	0 Size:	597.2 KB ID:	459369

Last edited:
SurfnSci thank you for your lovely comment and the tips for wearing pearl rings. Having a pearl ring is definitely on my wishlist now. Maybe just to wear in front of computer as well :p. How interesting to look back at the old pearls you started at. I can’t remember my first ones. But I still have the FW ripples pretending to be Kasumis I bought years ago on eBay. Omg some of them have ugly holes showing the bead nucleus inside.

eolian pearls your bracelet is absolutely stunning as it is. I love how you put the tiny beads and pearls in between them. It has a wonderful balance.

jeg how special is that lovely akoya pearl and what a sentimental piece with the memory behind it. You collins strand and the takahashi pearl studs have the most beautiful blue and green colour. And that bracelet you made is really something unique. Such a great mix of pearls and gemstone beads. Very colourful and cheerful.

Thank you so much, SurfnSci and echo! Yes, the little Akoya is more of a sentimental pearl, and I remember the experience even though I was only about 6. And thank you for the nice compliments! I say this about so many of my pearls that it gets obnoxious, but the blue Tahitians are so special. The story behind Alexander Collins collecting all the pearls for the strand, and the recent studs from Takahashi, that are so perfectly matched and round.

SurfnSci, what another delightful story with your potato pearls. They actually look very fun in your photo, and I would be inclined to still wear it myself!:yup: Echo, I know it’s not the same, but I will sometimes wear my rings on a long chain, like necklace charms. Sometimes big pearl rings, and sometimes sentimental bands like my late husband’s wedding band.

Wearing pearls with another story... white SS strand. Worn with other pieces I made- a SS keshi tin cup, and a bracelet of white Tahitian keshi. The bracelet is from Hawaii, and originally was on an elastic band that was way too big. I finally got around to redoing it to fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BB95AC9B-B5B7-4E65-9A10-6FA748231782.jpeg Views:	213 Size:	898.2 KB ID:	459386
Click image for larger version  Name:	BB95AC9B-B5B7-4E65-9A10-6FA748231782.jpeg Views:	213 Size:	898.2 KB ID:	459386

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing blue tahitian strand jeg. It really is special. That blue strand and the white one would probably look great together.
eolian pearls, beautiful bracelet. It's very pretty
SurfnSci that potato strand isn't all that bad. You could use it as a pearl chain, perhaps with some additional pearls or gemstones. I don't have the best of luck combining gemstones with pearls myself. Even though I like my jadeit and pearls stretch bracelets. Not at all pretty like the beautiful bracelet jeg made, but one day I will get it right.

Thank you jeg, SurfnSci and echo! I am really happy with this improvised bracelet, I think it is a keeper, no more necklace plans for these pearls!

Here are some more pics for you.
4900D252-084D-42A5-AE99-1DA7DF377C61.jpeg

jeg those Collins blues are simply divine!!!!! And how lucky you are to have found the perfect studs to go with the necklace so fast!
I love love love how the pearls glow against your violet sweater, such a colorful contrast!
And of course your SS pearls are amazing too! I especially love your tincup, one of my many wishlist pieces :)

SurfnSci Your first pearls look much better than my first “south sea pearls necklace” aka low quality freshies...Yours have lost the blue color but are still cute, mine have nacre that is peeling off...

Attachments

• 4900D252-084D-42A5-AE99-1DA7DF377C61.jpeg
    4900D252-084D-42A5-AE99-1DA7DF377C61.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 44
The bracelet looks lovely on your arm eolian pearls. I did make myself a ice blue akoya bracelet with a bigger blue tahitian. I really like it,, might be a keeper as well. I probably like it more with the contrasting tahitian than without. Gives it am edge. When I first bought the akoyas I made them into two stretch bracelets, but I hardly ever used them.

jeg not obnoxious at all. You do have a collection of insanely beautiful and special pearls. Like SurfnSci said they are #pearlgoals. Thank you for sharing the idea of wearing the ring as a charm. Especially pearls are spherical and don’t need to stay faced up to look beautiful. This just increased my confidence even more to try a pearl ring:silly:. Great to see that lovely aussie WSS and it’s story behind. Absolutely love your white keshi tin cup and bracelet. That metallic shine! The way you wear them layered together is very smart and beautiful looking.

eolian pearls this bracelet looks stunning on your wrist. You did a wonderful job. I can’t stop looking at it :love:

Today my pearly nightmare has finally come to a happy ending. Courier retrieved the parcel and the necklace made it home. I was wearing it tonight with a pair of Australian akoyas farmed at the broken bay. These aussie akoyas have very similar colour to the Vietnamese ones. Except they have a bit pistachio green in them. Strand was worn with a little Fijian silvery white pearl pendant. This wave strand is so delicate and dainty like jeg said. I think it is perfect for layering or to wear on a day that you want to keep a low profile. Sorry photos were taken at night. Quality and lighting is not great.

Attachments

• BCCB206A-AC7C-4730-A758-04FFD55F5354.jpeg
    BCCB206A-AC7C-4730-A758-04FFD55F5354.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 470244AF-E459-450C-AD0A-59E5A9C33791.jpeg
    470244AF-E459-450C-AD0A-59E5A9C33791.jpeg
    575.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 444F777D-21F6-495D-9176-251FE8DDD709.jpeg
    444F777D-21F6-495D-9176-251FE8DDD709.jpeg
    979.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Your lost and now unlost (?) strand is amazing echo. And a great lenght for layering as well. Lucky you got them at last and that such a pretty strand wasn't lost forever.

Back