Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Cathy, thank you <3

I love the idea of embellishing things with CFWP! I think the issue is always the size of the pearl vs the size of the hole vs the size of your needle. I always prefer little pearls on fabric to big pearls (no issues with weight and fabric sagging etc), but smaller pearls mean smaller holes that sewing needles can't get through. It's tricky to make it work. I can't think of what it's called, but it sounds like you have to do the kind of lace where you lay our your design and stitch over the string of pearls to hold it in place. I've tatted lace using beads before, but I haven't done it with pearls. That could be a fun project to make some edging! I've never tatted with silk though, just cotton thread, so I'm not sure if the knots would be too loose...

GOT IT! Battenburg lace, or tape lace. That's what I was thinking of. I've seen it done with cord, too, to kind of look like soutache.

Battah, if the beads or pearls are tight together on a thread, and you lay it on top of your fabric and stitch over the string to hold it in place, that's called "couching" ... that's how I did my sweater embellishment. Battenburg might well work too; in that case, you'd need to stitch the string of pearls onto your tape to form the lace medallions. I once made a 3" simple Battenburg medallion ... once LOL. Never again.

I was really surprised I couldn't get any needle through any of my pearls ... and I have some very fine ones for silk ribbon embroidery ... nope.

Size 11 beading needles will go through most pearls and have a nice sharp point. They are very thin and bend easily so you need to hold them close the point when entering a heavier fabric like denim.

Cathy, thanks for the info! I love lace and go through phases of wanting to make my own, but tatting is the only form of lacemaking ive liked enough to do often

My favorite thing about designing jewelry is getting to test out new designs ❤️

IMG_1577.jpg

battah, I did a bit of tatting ... very time consuming! My efforts were less than stellar lol.

Marianne, it seems I need some #11 Sharp Beading Needles ... Thanks!

Thank you so much, BW, CL, and JP!

Cathy it really is time consuming. I enjoy it in fits and spurts and stick to small projects for the most part. I'm working on a big doily (final piece will be about 12-14 inches across) and it's taking me years!

Yesterday I wore the bubble rope from the PP clearance sale. It's 54" and I like the length more than I thought I would. I wore it tripled this past weekend, and it's just long enough to comfortably triple. I think I'll be wearing this necklace a often. Yesterday, with my wedding stud earrings, probably akoyas. Oh, and while wearing the triple bubble, I saw a woman wearing a shirt with pearls on it, similar to the jeans. It was a long sleeved, chambray (I think) shirt, and they were on the front chest/shoulder area, a little higher than where a logo would normally be, were it a logoed shirt. About a dozen pearls, and ya'll probably know I'm not really good at picking out fakes, but some sure looked like Tahitians. They were probably dyed FW, but wow they looked real. It was at a little sing-song thing for infants at the public library, so I would think everyone would wear casual, but it IS a pretty nice area so maybe. I meant to go talk to her, but we were on opposite sides, and she was gone before I could get over there. Anyway, it was a really nice shirt with those pearls. IMG_0149.jpg

battah, that's such a lovely piece! I started following you on Instagram. I just follow people and not post. Started an I account so I could see pictures my daughter posted and ended up with a lot of pearl vendors and jewelers. lol. So many wonderful designs and pictures.

BritM, those are nice! I can see why you're going to get a lot of use from them. I don't have anything 54" and will have to look into that length now.

I thought I post here my new creation made of FW pearls from Wen. It is shorter than my other FW station necklace, but I wanted it that way, because it is much more comfortable to wear. I really enjoyed making it, and now I even enjoy more wearing it:
IMG_5171.jpg

Love the bubble necklace. It does look very versatile. I see one in my future someday.

The new tin cup is lovely.

Brit that bubble necklace is beautiful. I just love that style.

amti, thank you! Instagram has so much awesome jewelry eye candy, I love it.

Katalin that's lovely. Great luster on those pearls, and I love how you mixed up the colors.

battah, that's such a lovely piece! I started following you on Instagram. I just follow people and not post. Started an I account so I could see pictures my daughter posted and ended up with a lot of pearl vendors and jewelers. lol. So many wonderful designs and pictures.

BritM, those are nice! I can see why you're going to get a lot of use from them. I don't have anything 54" and will have to look into that length now.
I have been known to waste an entire day ogling jewelry photos on Instagram. I absolutely love all of the creative and really beautiful pieces out there.

JP isn't it great? Especially with the video option. I've seen the coolest mechanical jewelry on there too. I love it.

I've got to follow you too, JP. I see you comment on a few photos and keep meaning to do that. I try not to get onto Instagram more than twice a week bc I end up looking at so many new and wonderful things. There are some amazing photos!

Back