Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Today, a necklace of silver tahitians on a black oxidized chain. It is from Etsy shop Simply 4U. The artist is Canadian and does some very fun pearl jewelry. IMG_1407.jpgIMG_1409.jpgIMG_1408.jpg

Does this ever happen to you? I have been working on this Tahitian round and Keshi design for some time and restrung it several times. I have been wanting something more "edgy". It is done now and I can't decide if I like it anymore. Honest opinions welcome here.IMG_1412.jpgIMG_1415.jpgIMG_1411.jpg

So many lovely pearls today!

Imanit, the Dragon's Claw ... Amazing!!!

MSC, who could resist the V. Akoyas in blues? And Ombre ... fabulous :)

Pearly-White, I like your design ... but it has the word "keshi" in it, so it's autopilot for me lol ...

One of my favorites, JerseyPearl, and so perfect for an art exhibit!

For what it's worth, I like your design... but you're the one who has to wear it. What is it missing, can you figure it out?

I've reworked designs many times, and usually manage to eventually create something I want to wear. The design I'm finally satisfied with is sometimes much different from my first attempt. So if this doesn't please you, don't be afraid to try something really different.

Pearly-Whites, let's see if right side up makes a difference. I still like it a lot as is; I wonder if a tiny bit of gemstone sparkle would bring it to life? Thinking something fairly neutral and monotone, to not detract from the pearls ... labradorite beads maybe? Not too many, just a few to add "life" to the neutrals?

IMG_1412RSUP.jpgIMG_1415RSUP.jpgIMG_1411RSUP.jpg

I really like it. But I agree with Cathy, maybe a hint of sparkle with some tiny gemstones between some of the larger pearls.

Today I wore my first blue baroque akoyas from PP. I restrung them on aqua Beader's Secret and added a large white gold orbit clasp (behind my neck at the moment. The clasp was probably overkill, but the pearls are 10 mm and I though the bigger clasp might look better. I also removed two pearls that bugged me, so the necklace is now 17 inches, and I like the way it lays on my neck better than when it was 18 inches.

The earrings are the topaz huggies with blue grey drops from Kojima. They really sparkle in sunlight, like diamonds. Maybe better than diamonds. These earrings gave me a good appreciation of white topaz as a legit diamond substitute.

My lanyard looks stupid with the necklace, but I didn't feel like taking it off for the selfie.

IMG_2851.jpg

Bailey ~ Your goldens are fab on you; layered like that makes them so personal.

MSC ~ Rocking the teenies, such intense color; great ombre, too!

JP ~ Pearls, gems and chain show up so well against your beautiful sweater!

P-W ~ The keshi mix necklace looks "finished" to me, and shows beautifully on your neck compared to just laying flat, imo, the high luster shows much more clearly.

Ivona ~ Wow, wanted to grab that amazing huge pearl right off the computer screen and run off! So glad you popped in Did you take a break from pearl stuff for awhile? I like the claw; I'd so wear that, too! The custom chain will be awesome with it!

BWeaves, What huge, gorgeous akoya! Just the size I like. Good length, good work on the restring! Earrings are a great style, too. I have a few items with white topaz and much prefer them to diamonds, especially cost-wise. (Always like colored gems best.)

Bweaves I'm really curious about your white topaz. If it's shiny like diamond it would make a great substitute. I have a topaz jade ring but I must admit it's not as shiny as my diamond ring. Perhaps there are different (grades?) of topaz? Does anyone know?

Pearly-Whites, I love that! What about putting some kind of silver or pave spacer beads on either side of the round pearls? To set them apart a little bit more from the keshis. I think that would make the two shapes more distinct.

Kalmen,

Yes, White topaz, like other gemstones, comes in various grades. Rio Grande carries them in AAA grade. Although their refraction would be less than diamonds, top quality would likely compare favorably against a lesser quality diamond. Of course, the quality and number of facets will make a difference in the sparkle.

BWeaves...I do love those pearls ! And the earring pearls are marvellous . I think , as Pattye says above, that the quality of the topaz makes all the difference. Most of the time with the small stones we see pretty low grade stuff that probably cost $1 per stone and they are pretty flat looking.. the really good stuff has a nice sparkle.

Loving all the designs and pearls! I need to start taking photos of what I'm wearing. Selfies aren't my forte, but since I got a new phone, it is supposed to have a good camera, so maybe my selfies will be better.

Thanks Pattye and Katbran. I've minimal knowledge of white topaz. Curious does the lose it shine after long period?
Does anyone have topaz from Rio grande to show?
So sorry I'm asking a non pearl related questions. Should I move this question elsewhere?

Ivona ~ Wow, wanted to grab that amazing huge pearl right off the computer screen and run off! So glad you popped in Did you take a break from pearl stuff for awhile? I like the claw; I'd so wear that, too! The custom chain will be awesome with it!

Hi Pattye,
I never disappeared. I'm visiting the forum every week. I just do not post, but I like reading what other people have to say and see what other people are making/wearing/buying.
And no, no break from pearls... NEVER !!!!! LoL.....

Kalmen, I just did up a necklace using white topaz and iolite beads...it's super sparkly! I'm also using them to make a tassel for a necklace. I tried to take a photo to capture their sparkle...believe me it's much more sparkly in person.IMG_2750.jpg

And here is the tassel project, in progress, using white topaz beads. These are 2-2.25mm. They are strung on Beader's Secret in blue to coax out a tad more blue from the stones. They appear clear individually, but when you lump them all in a pile, you can see the blue emanating from the stones. I have to admit, they are a new favoriteIMG_2705.jpg

I find, especially in earrings and clasps that the quality of the diamonds can be very crappy and not sparkly unless it's a very expensive setting.

When I bought the blue grey drop earrings from Kojima, I wasn't expecting much out of the huggie part, as they were inexpensive. I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of sparkle they had. No, it's not as much sparkle as good diamonds, but it's way more sparkle than some of the dead lumps of coal I have in some settings. The dead diamonds I have in some clasps are the reason I asked PP to get me a gold ball clasp with CZs instead of diamonds. I'm also very pleased with that clasp.

Last edited:
JP: Regarding that very interesting article about the lab grown stones mixed in with the natural diamond melee. Are they talking about lab grown diamonds, or true synthetics like CZs?

Back