Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Your cat earrings are so adorable, Karman! And you have the perfect blouse too! Katbran, love your style!

Karman, love your Katbran pearls! Beautiful design. Your Keshi cat earrings are so adorable! Just love them.

Yep I think I'll make a bracelet! I may pull it apart though when my PP strand gets here and play around with the necklace layout.

Hanadama - those really are some nice looking Tahitians - the colours all look like they match up well too. And thank you for the nice compliment ! I will get some photos today !

Jersey Pearl - oh great ! I'm glad you are still enjoying them and they are getting lots of love ! You're in Santa Fe ... I've always wanted to go there.

PearlyWhite- They came from the Hong Kong in September - I was specifically looking for depth of colour without a huge price tag. That means lots of searching through strands. If you want to spend a lot...like several thousand at wholesale then the dark ones are pretty easy to find lol
I don't buy much at the actual show as I go a week early and buy from the stock before it hits the show.

Sunseeker - Thanks very much ! I do love the darker lavender/purple shades !!

Karman - Those earrings do look very cute on you !! I'm so glad you love them ! And the cat earrings and the shirt are adorable !!

cmd - Try out a 32in necklace and see how it falls. My client with the Gray Harvest strand owns high end furniture stores and is always leaning over to open drawers for people showing furniture etc and is catching it on handles. That is a big issue with the very long strands. I like the 32' length as it sits on top of 'the boobs' and stays quite stable no matter ones size. As we know..if you are at all busty then the long strands tend to swing around more.

Hanadama - you asked about photos - the first one is the one that I remade 3 times till the length worked out - that's now arrived in Venice Beach Fla to much acclaim ... thank goodness lol fullsizeoutput_c38.jpg now there are these are two that I'm still fiddling with at the moment fullsizeoutput_cb2.jpg Not sure the light is best for these... I did one with a few darker pearls as features and the other with some dark but some blue grey as features and of course the WSS and GSS ( in lighter shades for two reasons..1. cost 2 to keep a lighter look ) I'm thinking now that they need to be shorter so I'll probably pull out 5 inches of the smaller pearls. I have a few larger Jewelmer light gold baroques that I might switch in as well...but then that effects the cost. :)

It's hard to tell but the bottom one is a bit 'lighter' than the top one. Some pearls are looking darker than they are.. though looking at it now I think I need to find that fat 15mm bi colour white/g SS from Sven and put it in.. It needs a pop of white I think ..

Katbran, the ropes are wonderful! I love the design - lots of contrasting shapes and colours, the perfectly asymmetrical pattern. I'd love to see your Bi-colour SSP!

Bracelet complete! I was just short on pearls so added 1 small grey/brown drop shaped keshi and one silver pearl at the ends.

Photos taken in a variety of conditions, it's amazing how different pearls look depending on the light.

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8251.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

Quite a chameleon indeed.
Lovely in all your pictures though. The different lighting highlights the different overtones.

Hanadama - thank you for your kind remarks !! And your bracelet -that's lovely! Great colour and lustre ! So pretty ! Can't wait for the new PP strand to arrive ! The nice thing about being able to make your own pieces as that you can rework it whenever you want ! It's quite handy to have a few Gold Filled and Sterling beads on hand . When you just need a bit of length they can either work in throughout or at the clasp... like a GF 8mm at each side etc . Over the Rainbow Beads in Australia is a good online beading shop.

Pearly Whites - thanks for the lovely comments !

Thanks Bailey & Katbran! Can't wait to see the PP pearls. And Katbran, gold and silver beads are a great idea! Thank you!

I also revamped the silver rope I originally made a few weeks ago. I removed a handful of pearls - some were a bit too baroque for this oval strand (I'll repurpose these)and others I removed due to blemishing. It's now 31" and I absolutely love it!

IMG_8266.jpg

IMG_8273.jpg

IMG_8275.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

I wasn't totally ruthless with the culling. This little guy made the cut, bumps and all. My cute little alien!

IMG_8276.jpg

Last edited:
They look great - and like I said earlier - I'm liking this length now. I was absolutely convinced that very long and doubled was the way to go, and I do love that look. But one needs to remember that not everyone can wear that weight comfortably for any length of time.

The necklace looks great ! I love the soft colours !

I have masses of 14kt and 14/20 gold, small to mid size round and rondel beads.... plus lots of larger GF . Every size and shape of Sterling. Primarily used in Earrings but often in a necklace. Sometimes depending on the size of the pearls it can be difficult to hit an exact length and the addition of a gold bead on either side of the clasp can sometimes save the day by allowing a finer adjustment. Lots of bead sites sell them and they can be found cheaper I'm sure on CGM etc but for local shopping Over the Rainbow has USA made GF and I have had some for like 8 years and they shine up like new. Never buy plate.

Katbran, I completely agree. It's a great length -long enough to admire the pearls but short enough to not get in the way!

Hanadama, your T bracelet is adorable and your silver rope looks beautiful and perfect on you! I am going to follow your lead and rework a long circled T rope into a shorter 30-32" strand, and likely have enough leftover for a bracelet. And I love, love, love your alien! So cute!! Also, looks like a little Day of the Dead skull!

Katbran, thanks for your insight regarding length. I like a longer rope in smaller pearls, but with larger pearls, I'd rather stay under 32". But really depends on how I feel about the pearls and if I'm making a piece to work with specific clothing.

..speaking of skulls. I just made this little necklace as a present for my daughter. She is a big fan of all things Day of the Dead, sugar skull, etc. DayofTheDead.jpgDayofTheDead2.jpg

SunSeeker I think you're right. The first long opera/short rope I made was around 30" and featured tiny 3-5mm oval pearls. The length did not worth at all with the tiny pearls and looked weird. But now I know larger pearls (8-10mm is large for me anyway!) look great at this length.

What a fun necklace! Your daughter is going to love it. Do toggle clasps stay in place? I've never used one before.

Thanks hanadama. Yes, the toggle clasp does stay in place; I guess b/c the bar side is long enough.

Hanadama--You have been a busy girl! I too love the 31-32 inch length! The silver T's are perfect and so wearable! I love the bracelet too!

Sunseeker--I love the fun necklace which makes the pearls casual and young! Your daughter will love the necklace. I love it too!

La Perlagrina from Komoka on a 20 inch gold chain, and a Tahitian keshi tin cup from Kojima.

IMG_2769.jpg

I wore them with my Kojima and opal drop earrings and my Mom's opal ring.

IMG_2758.jpg

I just finished watching an hour of Newberry's sinfully delicious birthday party in the Pearl Paradise vault in the recorded Facebook video.
It reminded me of Ruckus. It looked like so much fun.

Back