Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

I like the redesign Pearly-whites., looks like a harvest strand and that white/gold SSP looks so unique.

Wearing my silver peacock ovals today and a newly wire-wrapped necklace made with vietnamese blue akoyas and 7mm T's.
silverT.jpg

View attachment 47471View attachment 47472View attachment 47473View attachment 47474View attachment 47475

This is an example of how pearls that are not loved or worn can be reworked into something completely different. These started out as a 7.5 mm near round gray Tahitian pearl strand that was purchased in Hawaii nearly 20 years ago. They were "blah" and looked like something that a 12 year old would wear. I added Tahitian keishi pearls, large Tahitian baroques (up to 16mm), some white SS pearls and a few SS golden baroques. All excepting the SS goldens were sourced from Ehlert Designs which operates a store both on Ebay and Easy and the golden SS were purchased from e-store (reputable Chinese company) on Ebay. Moral of the story....if you don't like them or wear them, cut them apart!
Bravo Pearly-Whites! Great job turning an otherwise dull strand of Tahitians into something lovely. It does have the look of a harvest strand.

In response to the other question re photography, I personally don't use a tripod. I just try to stay as still as possible and sometimes brace an elbow against whatever's nearby, though usually there's nothing nearby to brace it against ; )

Bailey , I love the silver ovals with the wire-wrapped piece. So beautiful together! Are the silver ovals from the special PP had recently?

Beautiful harvest strand Pearly Whites. And a great reminder of how adaptable pearl jewellery can be if you learn a few simple skills and have the right tools.

Bailey! Your silver peacocks look perfect on you! Are these the 8-10mm ovals?

Wow, all kinds of beautiful going on here!!!

Kalmen, love your luminous SS keshis!
Moneymeister, lovely delicate fwp!
MSC, love how you mix it all up!
Bailey1856, luscious Tahitians!
Pearly-whites amazing harvest like Tahitian rope and pendant!

Jersey, That is such a gorgeous tin cup! Today I have on silvery white Keishi strand. I wanted two to make a rope but he said that Keishis of this quality were hard to come by. They have amazing luster.IMG_1180.jpgIMG_1181.jpgIMG_1183.jpgIMG_1184.jpg

Thank you, lmgarden!

OMG Jersey, LOVE that tin cup. Did you buy the pearls as a parcel and put it together yourself? The mix of colors is perfect!

Thanks!
MSC, this tin cup was put together by Celeste...I bought it a while back, before I fell into the deep end of Tahitian pearls.

I did make something similar for a friend, in sterling. (apologies for the poor photo...colors are much more vibrant in person)IMG_0658.jpg

Then I decided that I didn't like the two keshi on the end of the necklace, near the clasp, so I removed one (which I then proceeded to accidentally scratch) so I crushed it to get a good look at the insides. I also heated it a bit, as I wanted to see how long it would take to damage a pearl with and without heat protection
IMG_0733.jpg

I will take a photo of the revised design before I send it out to my friend...instead of two keshi, I used one stone and one keshi near the clasp.

Last edited:
Cool experiment, Jersey. How long did it take to damage the pearl with heat exposure? It's interesting to see the onion like layers.
Your friend is going to love that tin cup!

Really beautiful keshi, pearly :)

I used a heat protective gel while I decided to solder a jump ring, which saved the pearl from obvious damage. But I didn't really like the way the two keshi looked so when I cut the wire, I accidentally nicked a piece of the keshi. Since the pearl was not usable I figured I'd see how long it took for the pearl to damage if I heated the silver. It didn't take long at all (long enough for fire scale form on the silver)...maybe a few moments before the silver began to glow. I didn't actually put the flame on the pearl, although if I had kept the flame near it would have burned. I noticed that the keshi began to peel a bit so I decided to crush it which was super easy...maybe because the heat exposure? And this is what was left. There was also some other material inside the keshi, which you can see as the lumpy black stuff.

That's pretty interesting, Jersey. I've never tried the heat protective gel. Does that stuff damage the pearl at all or is it pretty inert material?

It did no damage to the pearl at all, although the label does say it's not for use on softer stones and pearls. I didn't glob it on the pearl, but did put it on the pigtail loop and a little bit got onto the keshi. It comes with a little syringe applicator so it's pretty easy to control where you put it. It didn't stay on the pearl for long, and I did use water to rinse it off.

Back