Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

I have been on a major crab kick recently. So I wore this quirky little pendant/lariat style necklace today. Not the most sophisticated necklace I own, but it is fun.

IMG_2715.JPG

Ckrickett, that little crab necklace is adorable!
B'Weaves, you do look lovely in that stunning blue sari; how great it still looks after all these years. Hope your Diwali luncheon was lots of fun!

I'm impressed how vibrant the color still looks after all these years BWeaves - how do you store the sari? Would love to have some tips!

The pearls and gold earrings go perfectly with the outfit! You look amazing!

I don't really have any good tips on storing the sari. It's in the same brown wrapping paper it was bought in (it still has all the Hindi writing all over it) and put in an old Belk Linsey box (remember the strawberries?). The wrapping paper is not nice acid free paper, like I should get, but was kept for the writing and pictures of little boys and girls that are printed all over it.

I honestly thought the silk might shatter or rip when I took it out of the box, but it appear that there was no lead salts put on the silk back when it was made, so it has not disintegrated. Back in the the 1800's and early 1900's, they would add lead salts to the silk to make it weigh more. Silk was sold by weight, not length. The light floaty silks we see today would have been considered frauds and too light to be real silk. Funny, huh? The downside was the lead salts caused the silk to disintegrate.

As far as the color is concerned, it's pristine. It has been kept in the dark all these years. It was just neatly folded and put in the box. I've ironed the sari and there are a few creases that won't come out, but for the most part, it's like new. Even the silver and gold threads have not tarnished. I suspect the gold thread is actually Muga tussah silk, which is naturally a gold color. I'm not sure what the silver threads are (the cross ways stripes at the ends of the sari). The flowers are white silk.

The sari just floats, because the blue is light and airy, but the heavily woven trim helps weight the selvage down at the hem. Although the fabric is lightweight, and I'm wearing a thin T-shirt with my belly exposed, this is very HOT to wear. I was surprised how warm I got just after a few minutes wearing.

Of course. But I just cannot capture the incredible color and sparkle of the pendant in a photo.

SSP baroques
Saturna ssp baroque

Interesting info about the sari and silk, thank you for sharing! I love the pendant and the gold cable is so chic.

Lovely pearls, ladies!

I wore my 6-10mm metallic lavender strand from PP. It has strong green overtones which I really like. I paired it with 7-8mm lavender studs, bought a year or two earlier from PP.

6-10mm metallic lavender strand from Pearl Paradise
6-10mm metallic lavender strand from PP
6-10mm metallic lavender strand from Pearl Paradise paired 7-8mm lavender studs

Today I'm wearing the Kamoka drop from Passports With Purpose 2010.
I like to wear it on this choker given to my mother by my grandmother when Mom was 18. I angled the camera upward a bit so you could see the pearl's bright green bottom. :)

With this pendant I wear the Tahitian drop earrings I made to match the pendant.

Kamoka drop from Passports With Purpose 2010
Kamoka drop from Passports With Purpose 2010

Oh, Pearl Dreams ... what a DELIGHT to see that pendant again! The choker is such a beautiful pattern, and the pendant setting has been saved to my "inspiration" photos for a long time ... my very favorite pearl pendant setting EVER :) What a lovely set of earrings you made to go with it!

Thank you, Cathy! I really like the setting, too. Here is the other photo of it (for anyone who hasn't seen it.)

Kamoka drop from Passports With Purpose 2010 set in 22k

Last edited:
Back