Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

I love, love this thread...just looking I am learning so much! Some incredible design with all these pearls! 2 Questions: I am seeing physical rings in pearls, is that because of new ways of growing or the type of pearl or the largeness? (They do look fabulous in that necklace!). BWeaves in #19,489 You have colored rings on your pearls....can dyed pearls have that where the dye is uneven or does that only happen in undyed pearls? I am really drawn the the unusual shapes/colorings.

I love, love this thread...just looking I am learning so much! Some incredible design with all these pearls! 2 Questions: I am seeing physical rings in pearls, is that because of new ways of growing or the type of pearl or the largeness? (They do look fabulous in that necklace!). BWeaves in #19,489 You have colored rings on your pearls....can dyed pearls have that where the dye is uneven or does that only happen in undyed pearls? I am really drawn the the unusual shapes/colorings.
Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in, but pearls with rings are called circle (or circlé) pearls, and they are a naturally occurring phenomenon in many pearl types, such as Tahitian, South Sea, and Freshwater pearls. It is not known exactly why/how circle pearls occur, but it is thought that they are caused by the way nacre accumulates as the pearl spins within the pearl sac. In the case of Tahitian pearls, circles help reflect the iridescence of the pearl itself, and can often be intensely colored. The colors you see in BWeaves' pearls are natural.

If you search "circle pearls" on this forum you can find a lot of information. :)

Celonmaril Thank you so much...I tried searching "ring" and knew I wasn't getting the right word. "Circle" perfect...now I know what to search. I was very sure BWeaves were natural...but I still wonder if the color variations can occur during dyeing or what. I may just have to post the ones I have with variations and get feedback.​

Yes, circle pearls. Naturally occurring. A mollusk with a mind of its own… If they don’t have the deep grooves but have a colorful band, I call them color-banded. Not that it’s universally recognized…
IMG_2244.jpeg
IMG_2242.jpeg
IMG_2246.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, circle pearls. Naturally occurring. A mollusk with a mind of its own… If they don’t have the deep groves but have a colorful band, I call them color-banded. Not that it’s universally recognized…
View attachment 468327View attachment 468329View attachment 468328
Jaw-dropping examples as always, jeg. Those colors! I like your distinction between color-banded and circled. Makes perfect sense to me for two different aesthetics.

Today is a dreary day so I'm wearing my GSS drop on a PP tiny FW strand along with my tiger's eye, FW and puka shell necklace and GSS and baroque silver akoya bracelet.

1709581320109.jpeg

1709581379753.jpeg

Fantastic pearls and nails, 86C!

I’m feeling a golden drop of sunshine, CatMom, along with that fun puka shell Aloha vibe. Love it!!!

And thank you, 2thdktr, celonmaril, 86C and CatMom!

So, this was a fun find… I was looking through J. Hunter Fiji Pearls and I found a post from July 2017. A display at the Nadi Airport. This is my bracelet! I looked all over for a bracelet like this while I was in Fiji in August 2017. There were lots of displays, but no bracelets other than the macrame style. I had given up, but I noticed a J. Hunter display while on my way to the restroom before boarding. This was the exact display I saw. I told them to wrap it up and I’d run and get my wallet! My J. Hunter bracelet worn with a couple strands I put together with Fiji pearls from Cees.

IMG_2251.jpeg
IMG_2249.jpeg
IMG_2252.jpeg
IMG_2253.jpeg

Last edited:
In the pink today. All Kojima Pearls. Feather earrings with white topaz hooks. The topaz sparkles like diamonds. The earrings photograph like pondslime, but have an amazing purple luster that's hard to catch in photos. 40" long ombre' rope of freshwater keshi. Very lustrous. It's knotted in Pattye's rose color Serefil thread. Spring Petals pendant. It's a weird funky shape with ripples, but the color is incredibly lustrous in person. I find it odd that it's one of the pendants I wear the most, despite it's very un-drop, chunky nugget, shape. It goes well with a variety of my different pearl strands.
IMG_2423.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpeg
IMG_2425.jpeg
IMG_2426.jpeg

Last edited:
Fantastic pearls and nails, 86C!

I’m feeling a golden drop of sunshine, CatMom, along with that fun puka shell Aloha vibe. Love it!!!

And thank you, 2thdktr, celonmaril, 86C and CatMom!

So, this was a fun find… I was looking through J. Hunter Fiji Pearls and I found a post from July 2017. A display at the Nadi Airport. This is my bracelet! I looked all over for a bracelet like this while I was in Fiji in August 2017. There were lots of displays, but no bracelets other than the macrame style. I had given up, but I noticed a J. Hunter display while on my way to the restroom before boarding. This was the exact display I saw. I told them to wrap it up and I’d run and get my wallet! My J. Hunter bracelet worn with a couple strands I put together with Fiji pearls from Cees.

View attachment 468336View attachment 468337View attachment 468338View attachment 468339
Oh gorgeous jeg! I want a mixed color bracelet so badly.

Oh the colors!!! So gorgeous!!! CatMom Does that pendant bail on the tiny FW rub or is it specially made? I wanted to do that, but want to do it so it doesn't ruin the FW.
Thanks A Breaker! It's just a regular bail. I have put a lot of different drops on the tinies but haven't noticed any wear so far.

Wow CatMom. Those colors!!!!! Gorgeous.

A Breaker: I wear pendants with large bails on my smaller akoya pearl necklaces all the time. I've never had a problem. The bail usually ends up sitting between pearls as opposed to rubbing on them. Also, I'm not digging trenches or doing aerobics every day while wearing the same necklace. I'm wearing different ones every day, and sitting in air conditioning, so any rubbing of the bail on the pearls is very minimal.

Back