Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

My coin pearls got jealous of my rounds, so I let them play with my Kojima teardrops and a handwoven coat.

(Not my weaving. I bought it off several people who collaborated on its making.)

coin pearls got jealous of my rounds, so I let them play with my Kojima teardrops and a handwoven coat

Yes, it got cold enough to wear a coat in Florida today. It's 70F. OK, you can quit laughing now.

Get out of Town!!!! You guys have gotten way too blood-thin, but my Mom in St Pete turns blue and chilled when it falls below 85*...
OK, OK "It's the humidity!"
youre looking good, though, very good!

It really is the humidity. I can fly up north and walk around in the snow and not be cold. I just dress for the cold weather in the morning and leave everything on for the rest of the day. And it's dry, even if it's snowing or raining. But in Florida, it can be 40 or 50F in the morning and 80F by the afternoon. You can't dress for it. You either freeze or sweat. And it's humid, so you get sweaty and then the wool feels itchy, and then you go into the air conditioning and get a chill, and then you go outside and it's steamy. I always feel colder in Florida than I do when I'm up north in proper winter.

As a consequence, I have my summer pearls and my winter pearls. It all comes down to if the necklace makes me sweat (because pearls really warm up). Or if I think I'm going to sweat because it's hot out, because I don't want to sweat on my pearls. It's not so much the sweat I worry about, but the sunscreen starts to get slippery and rub off. And some pearls go better over sweaters, and some look better on t-shirts. My mother first introduced me to the concept of summer jewelry vs. winter jewelry. Anyone else do this?

Last edited:
Beautiful combo, BWeaves.

I hear you, I much prefer the harsh Ontario cold than the humid England cold I suffered during the five years I lived in London. (Many people -- Canadian or not -- think I am crazy for saying that, though. Perhaps it's because I don't shovel snow!).

I also have summer and winter jewelry (kind of), but it's more based on colours. If it's very hot/humid I don't usually wear strands.

Yes, but only because I can't stand the way jewelry holds the heat next to my skin in the summer, and not everything looks appropriate with turtlenecks.

Going in and out of air conditioning in FL is extra tough, too, because of the looooong humid summer season.

Most companies have casual Friday. My company is so casual that we decided to have "Wear a Suit Friday" just so we could dress up for a change. (I think this is to be followed with Pajama Tuesday, but I haven't checked my e-mail.)

So I wore my only suit and my Grandmother's necklace (actually PP Freshadamas and Nana's pearl clasp) and my Kojima teardrops worn as an earring jacket with diamond pave studs.

Grandmother's necklace (actually PP Freshadamas and Nana's pearl clasp) and my Kojima teardrops worn as an earring jacket with diamond pave studs

Man, I need to work on my makeup skills. I thought I had my jawline filled in properly this morning, but it looks like I missed whole quadrants of my face.

I'm tempted to add a third strand to that necklace. The clasp can handle 3 strands. Right now, the middle loops are empty. If I did add another strand, I think I would move the shorter strand to the middle and add an even shorter strand. Should I leave well enough alone? Or is more, more? Currently, the strands are 18" and 19". Nah, I should leave it alone. It's pretty heavy, even though the pearls are only 8 mm.

Last edited:
BWeaves, just my opinion of course, but I like your necklace just the way it is. Things in 3's are often best, but in this case, I think the clasp makes the third element and still remains important. I'd be afraid it would be a bit lost in the midst of 3 strands ... and that would be a pity :) VERY lovely combination, especially with that earring styling!

Those coin pearls are a great size and really beautiful. And I like the two strand necklace. Remember, if you want three, you can wear your three necklaces nested together. I love the Kojima drops on the huggies - I have a thing for huggies with dangles and drop shapes are my favorites. Lastly, I love the "wear a suit" Fridays! :)

I went to my parent's house for Chanukah tonight. I did not wear pearls, as I was cooking the potato latkes.
My 80 year old mother was in full pearl mode.

IMG_0387.jpg

She's wearing her baroque South Sea pearl rope, akoya and diamond earrings and a 4 strand small akoya and diamond bracelet. I'm pretty sure they are akoyas, because all her freshwater pearls are rice krispies. Although, it's possible the bracelet pearls are freshies. She's not sure.

She's wearing her baroque South Sea pearl rope, akoya and diamond earrings and a 4 strand small akoya and diamond bracelet

My apple didn't fall far from the tree.

IMG_0386.jpg

Isn't she the cutest thing?

Last edited:
I LOVE not only the pictures of your Mom and her wonderful pearls -- but also that she was willing to be photographed in her pearl glory! Thank her for allowing you to share her pearl splendor with us. Terrific photos!!! Happy Chanukah.

I love the necklace length on your mother--elegant. I notice she's wearing the clasp in the same position as you habitually wear yours.

Back