Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

I suppose no one would propose that the quality is the same, albeit the difference would be largely "under the hood" with the four-year nacre growth. Unless the Chinese are doing that too...
I was so surprised when they said the pearls grew for 4 years! Makes them even more special than they already were to me.

I wonder if that's always been the procedure or if culturing time has changed over the years. I wasn't quick enough to think of asking that during the live event.

Steve: I doubt that most Chinese pearl farmers are letting their pearls grow for 4 years. However, the two necklaces that I bought from Kojima and Pacific Pearls have incredibly thick nacre and great color, so at least one Chinese pearl farmer is letting them grow for a long time. Sarah seems to pick the best of the best. These two particular necklaces could easily be mistaken for real Kasumi pearls. I have real Kasumi pearls to compare them with, and I've done a lot of staring at them.

HAHAHHA! I just got an e-mail from Jordyn at PP. I was backup for a few Kasumi pearls, and I was actually relieved that someone bought them out from under me. Well, the jokes on me. I just found out I got K-24, which was Hisano's favorite pearl. I had to go back and watch the recorded video to remember what it looked like. It was very colorful and smooth, with the hammered effect, but no lumpy bumps or dimples. 11.5 x 12.2 It had no bad side, so I want it set so I can see the whole pearl. I'm thinking it would look great in the Wishbone pendant like Hisano put her special pearl in. Either that, or the "I am a Pearl" ring at Kojima. What do you think?

Oh, thank you, pearlgirl12! I just love all the vintage pieces I have from Kojima/Pacific Pearls. You just never know what might surface from their archives. Here’s another coral piece that Sarah put together while in their Hong Kong office several years ago. Worn with a baroque blue Akoya necklace from Takahashi, and earrings I bought at a glass workshop in Japan and added blue Akoya to.
View attachment 468986View attachment 468985
I love an eclectic mix. In fact, it was a necklace from Kojima 2 years ago that helped to broaden my pearl horizons. It combined Tahitian pearls and keshi with tiny vintage tuquoise, lapis, coral and Nepali brass and silver beads. These are drop Tahitians from PP, and my tribal-looking medley from Kojima.

Attachments

• 1000001051.jpg
    1000001051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 1000001052.jpg
    1000001052.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
Steve: I doubt that most Chinese pearl farmers are letting their pearls grow for 4 years. However, the two necklaces that I bought from Kojima and Pacific Pearls have incredibly thick nacre and great color, so at least one Chinese pearl farmer is letting them grow for a long time. Sarah seems to pick the best of the best. These two particular necklaces could easily be mistaken for real Kasumi pearls. I have real Kasumi pearls to compare them with, and I've done a lot of staring at them.

HAHAHHA! I just got an e-mail from Jordyn at PP. I was backup for a few Kasumi pearls, and I was actually relieved that someone bought them out from under me. Well, the jokes on me. I just found out I got K-24, which was Hisano's favorite pearl. I had to go back and watch the recorded video to remember what it looked like. It was very colorful and smooth, with the hammered effect, but no lumpy bumps or dimples. 11.5 x 12.2 It had no bad side, so I want it set so I can see the whole pearl. I'm thinking it would look great in the Wishbone pendant like Hisano put her special pearl in. Either that, or the "I am a Pearl" ring at Kojima. What do you think?
Well, there's no wrong answer to that, but I did think the wishbone looked great.

Ha ha, it was meant to be! I saw your comments earlier about how you were feeling proud on showing restraint....I didn't! :) I would suggest you get the wishbone pendant. You already have a couple of amazing rings and I think the wishbone would be unlike any of your other pendants.

the two necklaces that I bought from Kojima and Pacific Pearls have incredibly thick nacre and great color, so at least one Chinese pearl farmer is letting them grow for a long time. Sarah seems to pick the best of the best.
They do look great, and the presence of ripples, swirls and hammering obviously requires a minimum nacre thickness. Yesterday no one asked about the future at Seiwa Pearl, whether children are involved, etc. but it seems Sarah is rightfully hedging her bets. If indeed there are ripple farmers in China dedicated to longer aging times then they will need to seek a higher price, and distinguish themselves in a post-Kasumi world with special branding. Ripple-dama?

I just found out I got K-24
Congratulations! I watched with the idea of getting something basic for our first Kasumis in advance of Pearls by the Bay (my interest in pearls originates with naturals) and was fortunate to get the K2 pair below, for dangle earrings. I looked at PP and would be happy with a simple stock finding such as their threadeds, without additional stones or colors as my wife is most comfortable with simplicity. Welcome comments.

Attachments

• K2.jpg
    K2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 2
They do look great, and the presence of ripples, swirls and hammering obviously requires a minimum nacre thickness. Yesterday no one asked about the future at Seiwa Pearl, whether children are involved, etc. but it seems Sarah is rightfully hedging her bets. If indeed there are ripple farmers in China dedicated to longer aging times then they will need to seek a higher price, and distinguish themselves in a post-Kasumi world with special branding. Ripple-dama?

Congratulations! I watched with the idea of getting something basic for our first Kasumis in advance of Pearls by the Bay (my interest in pearls originates with naturals) and was fortunate to get the K2 pair below, for dangle earrings. I looked at PP and would be happy with a simple stock finding such as their threadeds, without additional stones or colors as my wife is most comfortable with simplicity. Welcome comments.
Congrats! Those are lovely. I purchased a set of SOC baroque pearls and had them set in the harmony setting. It has a small diamond but it's a very simple, easy to wear setting....not at all blingy. They are a smidge over 10mm so yours will be a little larger for context. The Kasumi pearls remind me a bit of SOC with the baroque, colorful pearls.

I also have a pair of freshies with the eternal setting which is just plain gold. It's also beautiful and you won't go wrong with either.

IMG_5080.jpg

Those SOCs are intensely striking and the setting is appropriate. Eternal and Harmony will definitely be included among the final options!

Many thanks!

Back