Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

That is one unique necklace! I'm crazy about pear-shaped pearls and those earrings look like they are. I just love them.

Bweaves, I never heard that term before. What determines if it's a gaspipe necklace?

If it's any help, this would have been given to my mother in 1946 in Italy and is 18K. It's round in cross section.
I've been reading about the term. It is flexible. It expands a smidge if stretched-- 1 inch for the entire necklace.

Hmm, editing again-- I think you must be right, BWeaves. The clasp and safety latch look like the ones on this necklace:
http://victoriasterlingantiques.com...pe-collar-necklace-in-18k-gold-17-inches-long

Last edited:
The intense green is beautiful, love the bail and necklace!
Babynurse your pearls are a beautiful soft romantic look.
Ckrickett the little crab is adorable!

Tubogas! (The vowels ware reversed.) A search using tubogas brings up a lot of images.

I love all these new terms I'm learning. :)

HG Ripples came out to play today (after the slight neglect suffered due to my Revenge Victoria Grayson strand)...
Large ripple pearl strand

Those HG Ripples are amazing.

Platinum was used during WWII for something related to defense, so yellow gold was popular for jewelry instead. The gas pipe necklaces were very modern looking (what we would call Retro now), and basically looked like pipes that were round on the upper side and flat on the backside. They were slightly stretchy.

http://cdn0.rubylane.com/shops/vsterling/NEA17899GA.4L.jpg?93

So if your necklace was from the 1940s, you have a beautiful retro gas pipe necklace.

Today we had our Diwali celebration at work. It was a huge success. I got my sari on upside down and backwards this morning. Took it off, and then got it twisted in a moebius loop, don't ask me how. I got it on right the third try and it stayed on all day. It was really comfortable.

So, a bit of a repeat. The previous sari pics were practice. Today was the real deal. Here's a photo of me in the sari at work with my double strand of PP 8mm Freshadamas:

double strand of PP 8mm Freshadamas

My aunt wearing the same sari in 1944. The black and white film back then was not sensitive to the color blue, which is why the sari looks white in this photo.

IMG_0280.jpg

And they henna-ed my hand, too. Such fun. I'm not sure I got much actual work done today.

IMG_0286.jpg

Last edited:
Purranha -- Your ripples are just gorgeous!

BWeaves -- your pictures make me smile. It sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Lovely to see the two sari photos, nice story.

A few years ago I wore a sari to a friend's wedding in India, but did not wear pearls. I know better now.

One of my Indian co-workers kept trying to yank my skirt down. I think I was showing too much ankle and not enough midriff.

One of the ladies had the most amazing pearl jewelry. Chokers and nose ring and earrings that hooked into her hair. The lady in the purple.

I was dying to know if the pearls were real, but I didn't know her well enough to ask.

Last edited:
Wonderful Diwali photos BWeaves ... how fortunate you have that photo of your aunt wearing your sari! Your co-worker's jewelry looks remarkable :)

Such a happy and colorful group! Thanks for sharing the celebration at work photos!

Back