My Design

S

susannahxu

Dear all: The following are my designs of pearl jewellery. The design of jewellery is my major hobby in my spare time. Any of your ideas about my pearl necklace are highly appreciated!

I myself took the photos of them. Which one do you like?

7533scd.jpg

22f2scd.jpg

a0aescd.jpg

8a9cscd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I show these pictures again in another way so you can easily browse them.

NPXX.jpg

NP5004ae.jpg

NP5010e.jpg

IMG_0085f.jpg

Hi Susannah
I read your other comments and see that you do work for a factory in China. :rolleyes:

In one way, I welcome you here, but I also think that you need to be very upfront. *
I am beginning to understand this may be a difficult concept for many folks trying to make a living in China.

But you have already reached so very far. Learning to speak and write English to where you almost can do it (expressions of "thieves market" aside)! Now, figuring out that we as a forum will keep your posts up if you are not blatantly advertising. You have crossed a number of obstacles to get this far. Congratulations.

Now I hope you will let us know who you are and who your factory is and what your job title is and why you are interested in this forum. I already know why. You want to sell to Americans. Now come out with it!

Believe me, a lot of us would like to really, honestly get to know people in Chiina with connections to factories. If we knew you and what your stake is, and we knew what your factory is actually selling- then undoubtably some of us would come and visit you in person.

If you are about rounding up a factory quota of customers this quarter, then it will not work. If you are about long term relationships and letting people get to know you and checking your company out and passing word of our experiences with you around, I do think it is possible.

*upfront. English expression for "telling it like it is".;) Being upfront is revealing an honest picture of oneself and one's motives. This post was brutally upfront.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your friendly suggestions. I am a newcomer here. Three month ago I just bumped into this forum and was much moved by your sincere offering of pearl knowledge. So I boldly posted some of ideas about Chinese pearl market. Yes, I am working for a Chinese pearl factory at the moment. To be frank I don't mean to put some advertisement here but just for some personal exchanges of thoughts of pearl. So I didn't open up the title of my company. Unfortunately I don't have much knowedge of some rules of this forum and also I don't have much time on it beacause of my busy work(I haven't been here for long).

The pearl necklaces on the picture are really my designs. I am just an amateur designer of pearls (I would like to be a professional but it is little hard).So don't laugh at me. Maybe they are made with the typical style of Chinese understanding of pearl jewellery. Thanks to My husband, a famous artist( oil painter and photographer) in Jiangsu. He gives me lots of useful advises about photo -taking with Canon G5 and picture- polishing on computer. Photography is my another hobby. I just want to share these pictures with you and get some useful ideas of pearl design from you. I think it is an interesting topic for jewellers.

Sorry for my poor English. Sometimes I just don't know how to word my ideas with correct English. Now I am working for Suzhou Hualin Jewellery Company, which is located in Pearl & Gem City. It is one of the largest pearl companies in Suzhou. We own our own farms in Jiang Xing and also collect mussels for the farmers in other cities, for example, Liuhe in Nanjing. We also have our own processing workshop (bleaching, dying, sorting and so on)in Suzhou. Our main pearl products (Loose pearls)are collected by Man Sang Company in Hong Kong. We are specialized in round pearls. We usually have 6-7 grades in each size (from6-10). By the way, I never sell my designs to the clients of my company(My company is dealing with the loose pearl and strands, not the finished jewellery).

I am very glad to know you here and share the experience of pearls with you. Please let me know if you have some suggestions for posting the thread.

One more thing, because of the fame and wealth of my husband (one of his exhibitions was once reported by Times), I don't have to go out for making a living. As a gentleman, he prefers my staying at home to going out working. But I love to do something with pearls. I just can't stop it.

Dear Pearltime:

Thanks a lot for your kindly encouraging. :)

And any criticism is also welcomed.

Hi Susannah,

I live in Suzhou and buy at the Pearl and Gem City quite often. I am there about once a week...as a matter of fact, I will be there this morning.

What is your store #? Maybe I will stop in to say hello.

Best regards,

Meech

Hi,

If I may chime in, I think a design with white and black rectangular coin pearls drilled sideways and strung to resemble a piano keyboard would be pretty nice.

Zeide

Hi Susannah
Well, I am impressed. Allow me to eat my words. I hope you will make lots of pearl friends here and have a really nice exchange of opinions.

That is what we are here for. and I for one, really do want to get to know people from China who love pearls too!

Both your work and your photos are very professional looking. I am sure you will do well. Good luck!

Hi Susannah!

The designs are typically seen in bead shops/gem shows, like commercially finished jewelry from China. You can set your designs apart from what the rest is doing like putting a gemstone here and there, or making nice bead patterns.

Although I think your designs are nice (the photography is great by the way), it's somewhat common.

If the design is simple, better use high quality pearls or make a good matching to make the pieces elegant.

I also design jewelry. I usually have my clasps and rondelles made. When I see an unusual material, I usually purchase it and let the creativity flow (or sometimes just follow the client's specs :D )

However, for commercial booths, my lowly beadworks have sold quite well :cool: .

About you not being so "upfront" on your earlier post, I know where you are coming from. This is one of the cultural/language barriers between Westerners and Asians. I myself almost always gets into trouble by being upfront and "telling it as it is" in Asia (considering I'm also Asian!).

So good luck and I as well would like to know someone in China who is a fellow pearl lover and designer.

Designs

Designs

Hello, Susannah
and welcome to the forum.

Basically I like all the designs but number 1, 3 and 4 I like the best. My favourite is the third necklace.

Jerin:)

Meech

What is your store #? Maybe I will stop in to say hello.

Dear Meech:
You are welcome to our store. The number of it is 27#, Hualin Jewellery. However, most of my time I have to go back and forth between Suzhou and Nanjing, as we have some business in Nanjing. You may not often find me in the store all the time. But next week, from 24th to 29th I will surely be there. You may call me 13675123033 for confirmation before you drop by.

Zeide Erskine
Pearling Expert
Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

If I may chime in, I think a design with white and black rectangular coin pearls drilled sideways and strung to resemble a piano keyboard would be pretty nice.

Sounds not bad. Maybe I can realize the picture in your mind and post the picuture of the real one on this forum some day. And if you like, I will send you it as a gift.

[Caitlin Williams
Super Moderator
Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

COLOR="seagreen"]Both your work and your photos are very professional looking. I am sure you will do well. Good luck! [/COLOR]

Dear Caitlin:
You’ve let me learn a lot about this forum, Pearl Expert. Your supporting does make sense to me. Thank you!

perlas
Hi Susannah!
The designs are typically seen in bead shops/gem shows, like commercially finished jewelry from China. You can set your designs apart from what the rest is doing like putting a gemstone here and there, or making nice bead patterns.
When I see an unusual material, I usually purchase it and let the creativity flow (or sometimes just follow the client's specs )
However, for commercial booths, my lowly beadworks have sold quite well.

Dear Perlas:
How exciting to meet another pearl lover and designer here. Very grateful for your helpful advice. Maybe my designs really seem a little common (Chinese style). Nice bead patterns are truly significant for pearl design. Personally I don’t like something cluttered with semi-gemstone like some Chinese junky designs, and I don’t even know who, when and how to wear them. I think one with a good taste for jewellery will appreciate the beautifully-arranged bead patterns, which is my favorite. Creatively combining pearls with other materials while keeping the elegance and decent of pearls is not an easy job. I have a long way to go.
By the way, do the lowly beadworks you mentioned refer to lampwork beads, or cloisonné, or something made of wood, semi-gemstone or crystal?

[jerin
Senior Pearl Advisor
Pearl Advisor

COLOR="seagreen"]Basically I like all the designs but number 1, 3 and 4 I like the best. My favourite is the third necklace.[/COLOR]

Hi jerin:
Thanks for your honest words. The third one is also my favorite. But now i am thinking of restranding it with the round pearls of 5-6mm in size- the pearls in this necklace are 7-8mm. I believe it would be more exquisite than this one? DO you think so?

Designing pearls

Designing pearls

Hi jerin:
Thanks for your honest words. The third one is also my favorite. But now i am thinking of restranding it with the round pearls of 5-6mm in size- the pearls in this necklace are 7-8mm. I believe it would be more exquisite than this one? DO you think so?

Susannah,

I think you should not restring the necklace no 3. For women that are not so very young any more I think the size of 7-8 mm is quite perfect.

If, on the other hand you are aiming for young girls, I think 5 -6 mm would be allright. But then again I don?t think this quite classical style may appeal to such a group, at least not over here in Europe. But this is my private opinion.

I take it that the freshwaterpearls are dyed, aren?t they?
Very nice design also on number one, let me know if you ever want to sell something of these two designs. In that case please let me know to my private mail.

I think you should not restring this one. For women that are not so very young any more I think the size of 7-8 mm is quite perfect.

If, on the other hand you are aiming for young girls, I think 5 -6 mm would be allright.

Oh, you reminded me of different sizes of people from different countries. What a helpful reminding!

It's made of the selected dyed freshwater pearls. Personally I prefer the freshwater pearl to the seawater pearl because of the durable nacre of the former. And I think the freshwater pearls with the perfect roundness and sharp luster are even more valuble than seawater pearls. That's why I like the FW pearl.

I'm sorry I don't sell my designs unless I have my own studio some day. At present I just do them for fun and often send them to my friends as gifts. I am also glad to send you this one if you like it very much. :)

Hi Susannah
Personally I prefer the freshwater pearl to the seawater pearl because of the durable nacre of the former. And I think the freshwater pearls with the perfect roundness and sharp luster are even more valuble than seawater pearls. That's why I like the FW pearl.

You are a person of great discernment and good taste in your preference for CFWP.:D Your description of your work and life are so interesting. Thank you. Actually we are lucky to have you here.
As a pearl-person in China, in the industry, where do you buy the pearls you work with? Can you get them from the factory where you work? Man Sang is one of the biggest companies. Do they buy all your companies pearls or are there some for sale to the public?? Are you able to access any round/off round 12mm and up? Have you seen the faceted pearls locally? Do you like to use the undyed colors?

All the round pearls I’m using are all from my factory except for a small part of pearls of other shapes, big potato, baroque and etc., But in my design the pearls of these kinds are not often utilized. For long time I’m so fascinated with the subtle overtone and orient of the undyed pearls, which are the magic of nature. For round pearls, what look more natural will be more valuable and more sophisticated in appearance. They are always favored by people with a good taste for jewellery. That’s why I use them most when stringing my necklaces. However, the dyed pearls also have their own unique charm. The dyed pearls usually are those of low-end, i.e., those blemished or strangely shaped (excluding those of big size for their rareness). But with a colorful cover, they present totally different characters from undyed pearls. I think the dyed pearls, especially those with bright colors, more cater to the young people. They can go well with semi-precious stone and look more casually. If smartly designed, they will also have rich artistic look.

Man Sang buy more than half of our products each year. But we also have quite a lot of products in strands for our overseas clients other than Man Sang. Round pearls of 12mm in size (grade AAA) are rare in our pearl market in Suzhou. For its small-scale consumption and high price, we don’t have many in stock. At present we only have some in loose pearls, not in strands. Of course we do have the strands with round pearls of 12mm of A to AA grade,i.e., slightly blemished. Usually we prepare them according to our specific orders.

I never see the faceted pearls in China, whether in Suzhou or in Zhuji. I don’t think it is produced in China. A jewellery Magazine I once read introduced it and also mentioned a wholesaler dealing with it in Hong Kong. Unfortunately I forgot its name.

Hi Susannah
Thank you for your answers and for sharing your preferences in pearls. I agree with you about orient on pearls. What magic. Thank you for discussing your Company's 12mm and overs. Do they have a webpage? Can someone from America do business with them?

I really like your artistic sensibility as you write it in words- and would love to see more pictures of your creations, especially using non-round pearls in the designs. I would be interested in seeing your less traditional designs, especially pieces that are unique.

Since you were so candid, I though I would respond in kind: I also like to make necklaces using CFWP. I also give a lot of them away, but I also sell some in stores around Arizona and at an occasional trunk show. I have to find ways to pass them on to others, in order to clear them out, so I can buy even more pearls.:D I also want to buy my favorite pearls by the kilo, so I have to be kind of commercial with the extras.

But I am nothing like the sellers here, who all sell the top grades of pearls only and stick to the most traditional designs, for the most part. (unless they are innovating a new, "old standard";) )

I am retired and doing this for fun. I've only run through about 25 kilos of pearls in the last year- 18 months. That is too small time for most wholesalers. Though my adult daughters push me to go professional with this, I am not quite ready- unless they take more active parts in the selling and website! I like stringing the beads, but too much of the other stuff is not fun.
Another thing that differentiates me from the major sellers here is that I like certain odd pearls and bad pearls. I like the peacock dyed cultured freshwater pearls (cfwp) and collect them in every size from 1mm to 17mm (of which I have just one) I use button pearls from 4mm-9mm a lot for pieces I sell. They sell very quickly when alternated with a semi-precious gem stone roundells of the same size, faceted or not, like garnet, amethyst, aquamarine, peridot, labradorite, quartz in various shades, and more. Turquoise, coral, you name it, alternate it with pearls and you have a pretty piece people want to buy.;)

So far, I have only been able to get CFWP 12mm and up, that don't quite make A grade. They have cracks and peeled portions on almost every one. Still, they have nice luster and look good to me, and some others, anyway. (Not to any of the Big Kahunas here!) People who have seen my flawed klonks, love them for the "natural look" of the almost round shapes, the dark color (I always disclose the dye), as well as the huge size, and I know I could sell a lot of pearls 12mm and over, even if not the best grades, if I could get a source willing to start small with me.

If I had a really good source for klonks (12mm and over- thx ZESPA), I would have the motivaation to kick my website into the next gear and establish a shopping cart. I think I would have a product people would buy. Especially since you can hardly get anything in America over 12mm in a AA or better- just a few brief times a year. They come, they are gone, poof! Only the quick with cash can get them before they are gone! And they are out of my price range. So, I would rather have a flawed klonk than a high priced one...

I'm just not a fan of the faceted pearl. What's the point? I can undercstand faceting other gems but it ruins the pearl in my opinion.

We call the faceted pearl as scale pearl in China. Maybe it is a bead-nucleated pearl culturing in saltwalter. Pearls of various shapes have been created these years in China. The majority of them don't look like the normal pearl.Maybe someday the concept of pearl will be widened by Chinese. :) But I'm still admire the classic charm of the normal round pearl.

Faceted Pearls
In my usual tasteless way- I love glitter and glue it on many things- I glitter up cards and shrines and tiny glass bottles, just to name a few things....I have a thing for sequins too and do the same with them-

I also like the horrendous faceted oblong pearls now coming out of somewhere- maybe HK, as Susannah suggested. They glitter. Something about the poor faceting job still roughs up the surface of the pearls enough to give them iridescence and glitter.

I would never look twice at those fat, giant, rice-shaped CFW pearls before they were faceted, but I am thinking of ordering a strand from coolbeads ,now, just so I can see it in person. I got my "fabulized" shell beads from them yesterday and they are beyond mouthwatering, they are positively slurp-y! They have a niobium molecular coating that makes them intensely iridescent, so I think their faceted beads will also look like the photos of them.

No excuse for indulging in the vulgar taste for cheap glittered objects - my mother is probably rolling in her grave.. ...

No excuse for indulging in the vulgar taste for cheap glittered objects - my mother is probably rolling in her grave..

Dear Caitlin:
You let me think of Vivienne Westwood, a creative English Fashion designer, a rebel against tradition in her crazy design.:D , You are an aritst! An modern artist has the courage and power to break any rules and to turn a common object to a piece of great works(Like Duchamp). I can't even waiting for seeing your design with those beloved glitters. I don't think it is tasteless to adopt those lovely glittered objects into your works. Personally I think it features a tyle of streetculture. I'm also surprised at your active engagement in pearl design and the continuous inner passion for your work. It does not very often happen in Chinese retired people. Besides, Chinese pearl dealers also like to use semi-precious stone, aquamarine, quartz,agate...in their pearl products. But the mix of complex colors and textures of different materials is a challenging job for a designer. Most of Chinese designs lack a professional aesthetic sense for beauty and uniqueness.

I'am a bit busy these two days. I will post them here after I take photos of my other necklaces in near future. My company has its website in Alibaba.com. in Chinese. Our English website/webpage is on the way. I can email you some pictures of our huge pearls(round pearl with rings and pits, potato, oval, rice...) and can also mail you some samples if you like. Don't worry, we treasure each order from clients, whether small or big, and I also treasure each of my friends on this forum.

That greatly depends on the pearls used and the competence of the faceter. It really only improves already excellent solid-nacre pearls and only if the faceting has been done expertly. Then the result can be stunning. I do not much care for faceted Tahitians because the resulting windowing allows you to see all the way to the nucleus and I think that faceted akoyas are a gargantuan waste of money because it makes the already thin and brittle surface even more susceptible to chipping and abrasion.

I learned so much from your ideas about faceted pearl. Now I can show off to my office-mates. :)

Back