Mississippi River Natural Pearls

pearl-man

few photos of the the variety of natural pearls surfacing from collections and owned by a current collector

Attachments

• photo70232.jpg
    photo70232.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 57
  • photo70233.jpg
    photo70233.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 56
  • photo70236.jpg
    photo70236.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 54
  • photo70237.jpg
    photo70237.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 58
These are lovely pearl man! Thank you for sharing the photos.

Do you know what makes for the different colors and extreme differences in shapes? Is the coloring the result of a bacteria, like the blue akoyas?

Beautiful pearl! The ones on the left look saltwater to me...and if not: they are simply MAGNIFICENT!
Thank you for sharing :D

There is no doubt these are natural color Mississippi River pearls. I have original letters written in the 1920's from a pearl dealer selling all sorts of colors. He sold all over the world mostly went to a major retailer in London and Paris. I am short on time to write more but he wa the major dealer selling to Mossarieff (sp) descendants still in business. If you would like to see a copy of some letters let me know.
Personally I have traveled the Rive since 1965 and have a fishing cottage there now. Once people travel 25 miles away they have no knowledge of the river system that drains 2/3 of the continental US. Bye for know God Bless

Do you know what makes for the different colors and extreme differences in shapes? Is the coloring the result of a bacteria, like the blue akoyas?

Not these...these pearls have very tight nacre structure and I can't see any "protein deposits" or "darks spots" anywhere...my guess the colors are 100% due to optical characteristics of their nacre: pure Orient :)

Back