From the sublime to the ridiculous...

barbaradilek

If pearls were like people..The 2 strand grey ones would be aging rockers,grey ponytails,Harley Davidson’s,cruising down MainsStreet,been there,done that,got the tee shirt.The advert for these said they were baroque akoyas...honestly! The blue strand are definitely afternoon tea at the Ritz,1935. Maybe I should start wearing them together....

Attachments

• photo69808.jpg
    photo69808.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 44
  • photo69809.jpg
    photo69809.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 46
  • photo69810.jpg
    photo69810.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 42
Wow. Haven't seen those shapes in ages! But definitively not Akoya to me.
What about the blue strand? Dyed Akoyas?

Are those little purple clusters with the old rockers earrings, or a clasp?

I’m presuming the grey nuggety pearls are rough freshwater.The iridescence is amazing,a bit like the edge of a rainbow where the layers have worn away.The blue pearls hiding in the old rockers are earrings made like bunches of grapes,I couldn’t get them to stand up on their own!
The blues are akoyas I think,they are baroque and all slightly different shades,can’t see any obvious signs of dye around the drill holes,but I love them because they are really blue,not grey showing off.Any comments about the rockers ( apart from telling me they are rubbish) will be much appreciated!

Yes, the nuggety pearls are freshwaters. I would call them rustic.

I wonder what the aging rockers would look like strung together with some white, round akoyas as a contrast? It might be like rocking up to the Ritz on a Harley??

Now there’s an idea! Many years ago,I talked my way into Harry Winstons in NewYork,just because of being terribly English and carrying a Harvey Nichols carrier bag,The first thing the vendeuse( could never call her a sales assistant!) asked me was whether I knew Princess Diana..Not wanting to let the side down I said” Not very well”.The only problem I have with this great idea is whether the akoyas I have would think they were going slumming if I teamed them up with the rockers,it would be like sending Audrey Hepburn and Sid Vicious out on a date.

Well... I just did a wire wrap necklace with my lustrous 9 mm Akoya on gold coloured base metal that will tarnish pretty fast. About the same principle :)

The only problem I have with this great idea is whether the akoyas I have would think they were going slumming if I teamed them up with the rockers,it would be like sending Audrey Hepburn and Sid Vicious out on a date.
:lmao::lol:
Now I will have this image in my head the entire week! :thanks:

Back