Did you get your exotics yet?

Oh, I love what you did with them! The blues and yellows are just right, not too much-- very very nice indeed. No wonder you received compliments. :)

Are the silver blues Akoyas?

They look like Spring personified :) (or pearlified, or something...) Quite beautiful. KP!

Wow! you went from zero to 100 in those photos! I hope that is your camera- or that you can use it often!

The pearls look perfect for Easter. Lovely idea.

Freakin' perfect! How long is the strand? And what size the pearls?

Oh my! Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I'm sure I'm blushing. But I'm not the magician, Jeremy and Mia are. I just put knots in silk.

Pearl Dreams, yes, they are the silver blue akoyas.
Ana: It's two strands. One 5MM round exotics 21" and one 6MM round exotics 22". Fishhook clasps so they could be hooked together if I want.

Knotty Panda,

Beautiful design!:) Just curious: I notice both Boo's and your pearls have a lot of lavender and pink. Did you special request a strand with more of those colors or the smaller pearls just have more pink/lavender?

Thanks,
Pernula

Last edited:
Thanks, Pernula. I can't speak for Boo. I didn't request anything special. The colors don't photograph true to life. There is actually quite a bit more green than lavendar or purple. The pinks varying from golden to pink. There are just so many colors and the pearls are only 5/6MM, it's hard to see the different colors unless you're seeing it in person. A camera can't pick up all the colors. I wish it could. I brightened this up a bit. We have green, blue akoya, and two more greens. In both strands I can only see one pearl I would truly call pink. The rest are goldens, coppers, peaches, and varying shades of each of them.

Attachments

• blue green.JPG
    blue green.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Congratulations La Pandita! Freakin perfect is right!!! Who knew, when you finally posted photos, that they would turn out to be the hit of Sunday night? :D

Thanks Knotty Panda!

Some questions for Jeremy:

Do you think smaller exotic freshwater pearls are more likely to have green color than larger pearls? Also, do smaller pearls have more metallic luster than larger pearls? I have one 7 mm round and one 9 mm round. Both are beautiful but the smaller one has more metallic luster. I only have two strands to compare so am curious whether this is generally true.

Third question is related to culturing Abalone. In the caption for September of your beautiful calendar :), there is a line "While the company [Eyris Blue] now produces only blister pearls, it's likely we'll see whole cultured abalone pearls in the future." Can you elaborate on their effort to culture abalone pearls? Would cultured abalone pearl be indistinguishable from natural abalone pearl?

Thanks,:)
Pernula

I received the strand of 8.5-9.5 exotic drops of Firday. The colors are magnificent, not to mention the surface, the luster, the sheen (I could go on). I couldn't resist trying the paper towel photography trick (you can see all the quilting of my quicker picker upper).

Thanks so much, Jeremy, for making such lovely pearls available to us.

John

Attachments

• Coil.jpg
    Coil.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Detail1.jpg
    Detail1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 34
  • detail2.jpg
    detail2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 34
  • detail3.jpg
    detail3.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 35
Knotty, John!

What can I say more then that your pearls are beautiful. The first thought that came to mind was "Candy" when I saw Yours, Knotty and John You?ve got some magnificent drops, I hope I will have some too as I want to make a pendant like the one Jeremy posted....:)

Wow! All the pearls are so beautiful. I hope to participate if Jeremy ever does something like this again. If not to buy anything, but to at least see all the pretty pearls available.

I'm more of a reader than a poster, just because I don't really know a lot about pearls, other than which ones I like, but I wanted to post about these pearls. My pearls arrived this morning, the tiniest rounds, and two bracelets made out of the oval pearls, as well as a few loose pearls left over after the bracelets were made. The rounds are so shiny it's difficult to tell what colour individual pearls are, and are really impressive. The bracelets are much chunkier than I expected- I hadn't realised that the size given was the shortest side of the pearl. They aren't as intense as the tiny rounds, but they are lovely, very shiny, gorgeous colours. But the best of the whole set I think is one of the loose pearls- it's a perfect tear drop shape, very shiny and seems to be basically a dark purple, with lots of gold and blue/green.

I tried taking pictures with the camera on my phone but of course they didn't come out well. I will have to try and borrow a digital camera so I can post pictures.

My only complaint is that I had asked for the bracelets to have the fishhook clasp because my friend who is getting one of the bracelets preferred it to the round one, but instead the necklace has the fishhook clasp and the bracelets have the round ones. They look just fine with the clasps they came with though so I'm not really that bothered.

All I have to do now is decide what to do with the spare pearls...

Dear Pernula: Obviously I can?t answer for Jeremy but I think the difference is in quality rather than size. My 5MMs are gem quality, display a wide range of color variations, and are true mirror finishes. My 6MMs are of a lesser quality and you can readily see the difference when compared side by side, however, they are still beautiful. I think it may be easier to scare up gem quality exotics in the smaller sizes to make strands. And that would be the difference.

I got mine!!! Wow, is all I can say. It is funny, because I looked at the pictures on a few different monitors, and they looked different on each one, and even more different in real life. I got 2 strands of the smallest ovals and had one made into a double bracelet, which I love the most because I get to look at it all I want! I also got a strand of rounds. I will try to post pics later. In the pictures online the small ovals looked much less colorful than the others, but I liked the neutral tones. Now that I am looking at them, they are shiny peachy goldish :D I am pretty sure that should be a color on the GIA scale, lol. They are very different than the peach I had on a AAA multicolor strand from PP. Much fuller color, if that makes any sense. The rounds look very lavender to me, though I havent been able to inspect much as I am at work. Anyway, the point of this rambling post is THANKS JEREMY AND MIA!!!!! They are truly stunning and I am giddy looking at them!

Some questions for Jeremy:

Do you think smaller exotic freshwater pearls are more likely to have green color than larger pearls? Also, do smaller pearls have more metallic luster than larger pearls? I have one 7 mm round and one 9 mm round. Both are beautiful but the smaller one has more metallic luster. I only have two strands to compare so am curious whether this is generally true.

Third question is related to culturing Abalone. In the caption for September of your beautiful calendar :), there is a line "While the company [Eyris Blue] now produces only blister pearls, it's likely we'll see whole cultured abalone pearls in the future." Can you elaborate on their effort to culture abalone pearls? Would cultured abalone pearl be indistinguishable from natural abalone pearl?

Thanks,:)
Pernula

Yes, I think the smaller pearls have a shaper, more metallic luster overall. Some of the large ones have it too, but no strands compare with those small ones. The metallic shine is similar to the look you see under those "enhancing" lights at the jewelry shows. The difference is that they have the metallic ones have the same shine under normal lighting conditions.

I do not have much information regarding the progress of whole abalone culturing. I know that they have been trying for a long time. A lot of people have been trying. It will happen eventually, I am sure of it. Roger Beattie and I talked about it quite a bit in New Zealand.

I notice both Boo's and your pearls have a lot of lavender and pink. Did you special request a strand with more of those colors or the smaller pearls just have more pink/lavender?

Pernula - my pearls, while having many colors, do tend toward pinks and lavenders. I did not request them that way, but I wonder if perhaps I got these particular strands because they look similar and I was planning to use them both in the same necklace.

I received the strand of 8.5-9.5 exotic drops of Firday.

So you got the amazing drops! I was wondering where those babies went to. They really are something special. They are loverly.

Back