Cook Islands Keshi Bracelet

An absolutely stunning acquisition - congratulations! I am green with envy. I would wear it myself!
John

Thanks for the comments, all very helpful. Patty's idea of removable chains between the pearls is fascinating, if it can prove practical. Clasp: Nothing too far out, 14kwg magnetic.

smetzler said:
Patty's idea of removable chains between the pearls is fascinating, if it can prove practical.

I think it is .... think of a double 'S' hook clasp for the bracelet so that the pearl section can be removed with free attaching rings on each end. And an extension strand (how about a small torsade of 3-4 strands of garden variety small gray keshi?) with smaller similar clasps on each end... so that they remain as decorative connections visible on the sides of the large keshi section, not in the back of the neck as normal clasps do.

Updated versions of the good old doule S clasp can look like something else entirely. Like this one does:

en-00007829.jpg

PPS. Wrapped pearls, you said? :)

en-00006773.jpg
2008entry148.jpg

PS. The idea that those pearls could be trailed on tables and bumped on things still scares me out of the bracelet idea entirely. Combining them with some larger elements likely to get in contact first with the various surfaces the bracelet might get bumped into seems ... safer, but not terribly appealing. The elements of basket-woven gold in that piece posted above act that way. I've seen black pearl bracelets combined with elements carved out of black lip MOP... nice, but not as formal as I would expect these pearls should enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, Steve,

Wow magnetic clasp, that is perfect! Some are clasps are very beautiful, all you need then is another clasp, a length of lovely chain, lets say each about 11-12 inches, the bracelet stays intact but is held in the middle by the magnets! So you have components, so to speak. The bracelet is the centerpiece. The magnets appear as beautiful stations between the pearls and the chain.

I will try to post a photo of something similar if possible, if my explanation isn't clear.
I like Valeria's ideas also!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I love that interactive thing again, Pattye! My only problem is "S" clasps aren't the most secure and a bracelet could easily be lost. What about a necklace and bracelet if we are talking stations? My other problem with wire-wrapping is it kinks. Makes me crazy, especially if it's done in that Preston "what's his name" fashion.

Slowly reading, late for church. Magnets! Gorgeous Bali designs are available with figure 8 safety catches. But I have to tell you, I love Valeria's pearl capture design, the one on the left, the dark pearls captured in the gold wire. It now becomes not only a gorgeous piece but a piece that can and should, be worn often.

As of yet I haven't seen pearls in person done in the wire, but it does look interesting. I would not want the wire to detract from the beauty of the pearls, though, that would be my fear. Might be a bit more difficult to do with the shape of the keishi being irregular. What a fun project!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I a not quite sure those two are really wire - the necklace seems to have used heavier gauge 'stock' and the shapes seem designed t have allowed annealing of the pearl 'cages' (=> springy metal & no more kinks). The bracelet appears to have metal segments bound by some round 'connectors'... which suggests that thin tube not wire was used. Allot more pain, but no kinks and no excessive weight.

Not saying I do no like the 'naked' pearls better - especially the interesting ones. Just thinking of the wear factor on a bracelet.

Now... there is bias involved: most likely, someone with larger hands could wear a larger, tightly fitted bracelet well. On e all of them hang loose, uncomfortably loose. Large pearls are not compatible with writing... although they do work very well for a night out, of course ;)

The both look like wire to me. The gold one is diagonally crossed, front and back, and attached to a gold tube? which is prong-tipped. The wire, I think, is wrapped once loosely around the tube and the ends of the wire, soldered together. The same principle is used for the silver one, but an oval jump ring is used as the flexible connector.

john675 said:
An absolutely stunning acquisition - congratulations! I am green with envy. I would wear it myself!
John
John, I've seen your thread, congratulations on your classy piece.

Last edited:
Valeria101 said:
Have you ever tried Ganoskin and it 'Orchid' forum for a source?
The avalanche of wonderful ideas here is among the most informative sequences I've viewed on Pearl-Guide?a tremendous tribute to these pearls! Re Ganoskin, etc. this is a slippery slope to which I am not yet willing to commit.

I have recommended that the seller/designer of Poe Teanaana read through the comments. He has always been aware that we would prefer to find a multiple use for these wonderful pearls.

Steve
Seattle

smetzler said:
... we would prefer to find a multiple use for these wonderful pearls.

Awesome!

Among the many options mentioned, a convertible piece that could become bracelet, collar necklace, (shorter) rope and lariat is already there! :D

Valeria101 said:
Awesome!

Among the many options mentioned, a convertible piece that could become bracelet, collar necklace, (shorter) rope and lariat is already there! :D

I love the idea that the bracelet might morph into various configurations down the road. The world is your oyster!;)

Wow. Amazing. What a bracelet!

And, lucky you, going to Spain. I'm in the Seattle area too and we've had almost nothing but rain, rain, rain for the past few days. Cold, gray and dreary. I could use a little Spain right now.

I just received my copy of "Pearl World"....... congratulations, your bracelet is on the cover page, however, the picture of your pearls on page 5 is incredible.

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
They are truly gorgeous keshi (keishi), and I as many here would love to own anything like them. Yum. I have some loose keishi and am going right now to work on a design for them. Unfortunatley they don't have the amazing colours yours do.

Your wife is very lucky to have a husband like you. I do hope she loved them and wears them. Please do let us know.

Thanks! Yes, Pearl World was a bonus, actually our second cover (after the 'Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani' natural pearl necklace last year). It also drew us into the world of black pearls?not a bad result.

As my wife is the family accountant I'm the lucky one, as I also get to enjoy the pearls. She is definitely proud of the bracelet, although still needing to order a safety chain for the magnetic clasp to wear with confidence. Also, it's a distinctly Spring/Summer piece (at least here in Seattle).

Latest news, in line with the discussion above concerning multiple use, is that the designer of 'Poe Teanaana' is now working on a second keshi bracelet to wear separately, together with 'P.T.' or as the back side of a collar. Will post here on receipt!

Steve

As the source well knew my lack of predisposition for pearls with nuclei (from a number of offer rejections in the past) wouldn't be strange if he had withheld something at the time. Will try to find out! As mentioned above, this bracelet has at least served to 'bridge the gap' for us.

I also know that this source does not undervalue such items (remember his quote on those perfectly matched 16mm SS gold buttons?)

I must have missed this the first time around. Wow, gorgeous keshi and huge!

Would be interesting to see the beaded giants, if any . . . .

Perle

Back