What are your favourite clasps?

I got some cheap card-maker half pearls (fakes) with a sticky base and arranged them over my masks- you could follow me around by the trail as they fell off!

I love a good clasp ! And they are so hard to find ! The Orbit is a go to clasp. Initially I found them a bit slippery and hard to open but I might have had a very stiff one. I''m loving that little Rio Clasp. And of course Paraltje - The Daisys.... sigh
So many beautiful old bejeweled clasps ... you guys have a sharp eye on eBay and auction sites!!

I wish we could convince some Orbit Clasp maker to branch out a bit ... different texture of gold, ROSE gold, some tiny gem or engraving accents. Sigh, I'm sure that's too much to hope for ...

From 1989... I suppose they'd be considered vintage now :rolleyes:

IMG_0221.jpg

Very nice Happy Huku! Love the gray pearls too, and those 2 inter-pearl gold pieces that match the clasp!
How do you call those two pieces?

That’s a beautiful clasp Happy Huka, and lovely pearls as well of course.

So many beautiful clasps!

- Charlotta, what a nice collection and how gorgeous necklaces you made! Your rainbow strand is breathtaking - are they all natural color Tahitians or a mix of Tahitian and Edison? Thank you very much for sharing the Etsy shop :). I ordered some the other day following your post, and I'm waiting for them to come.

- jeg, your orchid clasp is so one-of-a-kind, it gives soul to the necklace. And an abalone pearl? I am out of words. Just so beautiful!

- Pareltje, your two tone double clover clasp is so unique and pretty. The designer must have put a lot thinking in it. I love it!

Thank you StarryPearl, my rainbow strand is a mix of natural color tahitians, golden south seas and edisons. It's accually my favorite strand ever. Wendy at Pearlescence made me some lovely colorchanging edison huggies to go with it a short while after making the strand for me. I hope that your clasps will arrive soon.

image.jpg I love old clasps,they match my old pearls.Here are 4 of my favourites.If anyone can shed any light on the square clasp with the pearl in the middle,I would be greatful,I havnt seen anything similar,and would love to know what era it is.

Lovely clasps Barbaradilek :)
I specially like the one on the far left, that looks like a coin, but each one is quite unique and offers an entirely different look. Thank you for sharing!

Lovely clasps, Barbaradilek, they really do enhance the old pearls, don't they? And I think beautiful pearls 'deserve' beautiful clasps!

Can't help on that square clasp, I'm afraid. Do you know what the metal is? I want to say 1940's but it is probably much older than that.

WhenI got the necklace,the background to the “ flower” was black,it was t till I tried to clean the flower did I realise the background was a textured gold colour.I wondered if it was a variation on silver gilt,I saw a pendant that had the same simplified flower motif,that was dated as Art Deco,but the clasp is designed to sit 2/3rds around your neck,the biggest pearls being just 2” from the clasp.Ift must have been a nightmare to string!

Attachments

• photo69145.jpg
    photo69145.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 47
WhenI got the necklace,the background to the “ flower” was black,it was t till I tried to clean the flower did I realise the background was a textured gold colour.I wondered if it was a variation on silver gilt,I saw a pendant that had the same simplified flower motif,that was dated as Art Deco,but the clasp is designed to sit 2/3rds around your neck,the biggest pearls being just 2” from the clasp.Ift must have been a nightmare to string!

Lovely to see the clasp and pearls like that, I suppose you could 'narrow down' the date to first half of the 20th Century! :)

Masik I love the squared double ring gold clasp! Do you know where someone can buy one that is not a wholesaler? Would you mind sharing how much they are?

Back