My pearls

I’m catching up on all your pearl deliciousness, Charlotta. Not only are your strands wonderful, but your photographs are so good. It’s cloudy and gray outside today but the light and color in your recent posts have made up for that! Thank you for sharing all the beauty.

P.S. I must finally order some of those fab clasps—I have the name of the seller.

Thank you multichrome. Those clasps are wonderful, lets me arrange the pearls in whatever way I want to. And they are also pretty. I think that they come in rose gold as well.

Two days ago my daughter, who is currently in a rokoko mood and sewing clothes like that by hand, texted me and asked if I could make this necklace...
IMG_20210304_172918.jpg
I don't know who took this photo. Suddenly she wants pearls. She has only ever liked a blue lavender freshwater strand that she pilfered... I can try I said. Don't really have the right pearls for it, I also don't know what's up with the loop thinghy, nor the high placement. The artist might have change some things. After lots of photos being sent she wants me to add a vintage cameo to my dyed akoya strand from Pearlescence , the one that are nearly identical my aubergine tahitian studs from Oceanscove. And she wants a vintage silver and marcasite clasp that I had on hand. She wanted i really short as well. This hideous lamp light photo shows the finished strand.
_20210304_193037.jpg
I will use that lenght of lace that I made years ago as bubble wrap. She likes handmade lace as well. This is what the strand really looks like.
_20200805_165849.jpg
She's not getting those earrings though. I gave her my peacock tahitian studs from Pearlescence instead.
_20201101_213136.jpg
I always wears my mixed strand with my deep golden south sea studs anyway.
Funny thing is she didn't want a vintage akoya rope, she wanted the dyed akoyas.

Love the cameo! Never thought of wearing a cameo with black pearls. I've always paired them with white pearls.

I also don't know how aristocratic ladies kept their chokers that high on their neck. Mine always fell down to the base of my neck. But I love the looks of pearls with cameos.

Thank you Bweaves, at first I paired that cameo with a vintage golden akoya waverope that I made. I wouldn't have paired it with those dark pearls either, but it looked great when I did hold it against my neck. I hope that she is pleased with it.
Remember that ombre tahitian and south sea rope that I made mostly out of Pearlescence pearls? I really like that rope and finally have some better photos. It's not a small rope at all, the pearls are mostly between 11-12mm. I prefer the blue part....
_20210227_153810.jpg
_20210227_153737.jpg
_20210227_153636.jpg
_20210227_153607.jpg
_20210227_152417.jpg
_20210227_152450.jpg
_20210227_153120.jpg
It goes with any pair of earrings.

That cameo look is really interesting. But wondering, like BWeaves, how it can be worn so high without (literally) choking you. Also wondering if it is possible to use a cameo that is a broche with no loop to use a pendant.

Could the extra loop on the white strand in the painting be a kind of extender, just not in use?

- Karin

I’m speculating that the high choker is suspended (by braids, braided ribbon, and other decorative elements) from perhaps a wig, or an elaborate hair arrangement including little poufs or ‘mice’. I think anyone who could afford pearls like that would also have a maid to dress her hair or wigs.

My great-granny had little poufs of her own collected hair. She had them on her vanity. They were used to supplement thinner hair, or as a foundation to wind her own hair over, or with.

For your daughter, I’d say a headband and the necklace suspended from the bottom of the headband under her hair. Perhaps picture a French brain, then at the top of the neck/base of the skull where you’d put a hair bow over elastic, you can clasp the necklace through the elastic. I think that requires the usual length necklace.

I wonder, given the smaller size of the ‘loop’ pearls, if the loop of pearls at the bottom is a play at wearing a necklace clasp to front, with the pearls knotted near the clasp, as usual, with that leaving room to juuuust cross one side over the other. Flirtatious implications of the finger twisting the necklace into a loop, without the obvious vulgarity of a finger actually poking through the loop. Flirtatious but Still Virtuous.
D7754F08-D320-4F91-9648-BB9E5C3EBB01.jpg
Picture one of your graduated white strands and marvelous jeweled clasps...
(instead of my unknotted strand, attached temporarily in an ungainly fashion to a fashion clasp)

The necklace and cameo look beautiful!

Last edited:
Those poofs of hair were called "rats." As in the song from Grease "Look at me I'm Sandra Dee." I don't smoke, or swear. I don't rat my hair.

I got my Kojima Tahitian studs today. They are freaking gorgeous. So colorful and shiny and lustrous.

Pistachio green on the left. They look unreal. Silver blue on the right with a lavender halo.

IMG_9428.jpg

I love the pistachio ones on me. It's so funny. I used to hate green. And now it's my favorite color.

IMG_9430.jpg

The silver blue ones lose their color on me. I'm so bummed, because I love blue pearls. I even tried looking at them in different lighting, but they just didn't work on me.

IMG_9431.jpg

They're beautiful, but they also don't look that different from my Kamoka black and white studs. The "white" one being a silver blue color. Here's the Kamoka one below, as a comparison.

IMG_9420.jpg

So, I'm sending the silver blue pair back to Kojima. And now I'm lusting after a necklace instead. Doh!

Last edited:
Thank you KarinK and lisa c. I am going to ask my daughter how she is planning to wear the necklace and pass along your great ideas. I hadn't even thought about the possiblity to leave a gap so that a strand can be looped.
Bweaves, love your new green studs, amazing color. A pistaccio necklace perhaps?

Ooops. posted this studs in the wrong thread. I didn't mean to hijack your thread Charlotta. But you guessed right! I already have a pistachio akoya necklace from PP, so I have pearls that go with these studs. Plus, my ombre' Tahitian tin-cup with the drop also has pistachio coloring.

Very clever, Lisa - that all makes sense.
Bweaves, those green Tahitians are unreal!

The cameo necklace and conversation is very interesting! I was also wondering how the necklaces were worn in those period pictures. Your daughter is so lucky to have a crafty pearly Mom like you Charlotta!

BWeaves I was very very curious about those pistacchios and they are simply STUNNING!!!! Very very special and so so lustruous! I love the other pair as well but pistacchios are something from a fairytale...Lucky lucky you!!!

Thank you eolian pearls. I hope that she will love it. Hopefully she will get it in the mail tomorrow.
Hijack away Bweaves, especially with such pretty pearls. You do need a pistachio tahitian strand though, just saying...I haven't seen any lately but it would be amazing. As would an aqua tahitian strand, sigh. Haven't seen one of those ever.

Thank you, SydK. I don’t feel so clever, so thank you! The portrait subject has such a demure but flirtatious expression it spurred a whole bunch of memories. I’ve been a voracious escapist reader since I first learned how, and Jane Eyre, and The Little Women were my Mother’s childhood books on her shelves, With illustrations, too! I think that all of what one reads and sees is in a brain cell or cluster, and pops up once in a while, useful. Imagine, all the etiquette related to virtue and flirtations a girl had to know in society. Fans, Flowers, Fashion and Flirtations.
DF8BA27B-7B19-477A-A425-89DC2FD70D8F.jpg

Bweaves, a ‘rat’? Lol. No wonder Grannie called it a mouse! She wouldn’t want to scare a little kid with rat. Where I grew up, ratting your hair meant backcombing or teasing. The green studs are amazing, and you’re so right, that Kamoka stud has always amazed me. So gorgeous!

(not that the Bronte’ sisters or Alcott were salacious in any way)

Last edited:
Thank you eolian pearls. I hope that she will love it. Hopefully she will get it in the mail tomorrow.
Hijack away Bweaves, especially with such pretty pearls. You do need a pistachio tahitian strand though, just saying...I haven't seen any lately but it would be amazing. As would an aqua tahitian strand, sigh. Haven't seen one of those ever.

Kojima had a Pistachio Tahitian strand recently, based off comments in some of the other necklaces on the Kojima site, but apparently I was too late to see it.

I think it might have been this magnificent strand that was posted as a New Year’s greeting...it would be amazing to see the neckshots with this beauty...Your earrings are equally stunning BWeaves.B597D3EB-E4CB-42CA-BE96-18BAC6197443.jpg

I don't think that did post any good photos of those tincups that I made. The ones with gemstones and those blue green tahitians from cmw pearls, they sort of change color depending on the surroundings.
_20210227_151226.jpg
_20210227_151200.jpg
_20210227_150118.jpg
_20210227_150030.jpg
_20210227_145945.jpg
They are rather pretty even if I say it myself. I got most of the gemstones from Druzydesign.

Back