My pearls

Waaaay back when PP had a mothers day special on multi color 12-15mm edisons (they only had a couple of strands) I grabbed one...fast forward to the modern era, I recently restrung them on rose Beader's Secret. That simple bit of color on the thread really elevated the strand. Still, I don't wear it that often, but I do take it out and stare at it. I chose the strand because of one gorgeous purple/magenta pearl.

Waaaay back when PP had a mothers day special on multi color 12-15mm edisons (they only had a couple of strands) I grabbed one...fast forward to the modern era, I recently restrung them on rose Beader's Secret. That simple bit of color on the thread really elevated the strand. Still, I don't wear it that often, but I do take it out and stare at it. I chose the strand because of one gorgeous purple/magenta pearl.

I think we'd like to see that strand! Maybe a picture?

Charlotta, your pearls are seriously amazing - your Rikitea strand is my absolute favourite, I think, but there are so many others that are stunning. I’m going to stop looking at this thread, because it always makes me think of something else I could shop for...

SydK, I know what you mean. I have been rereading the Show Us Your Pearls in Action tread, big mistake...Also Baby nurse 365 tread, then I find myself googling Golay and trying to find how to best get my hands on that beautiful tahitian colorgraduated rope (without going to asia).

I find myself googling Golay and trying to find how to best get my hands on that beautiful tahitian colorgraduated rope (without going to asia).

Oh, don't we all. Baby Nurse's color graduated rope is my favorite ombre' ever.

Tried to build a lightbox... Didn't quite work. But improved my tahitian rope photo.
_20181226_143419.jpg
At our summercabin we have a sort of built in outdoor room with a see-through roof. The whole room is like a lightbox. Amazing for pearl photos. We cannot stay there during the winter since the waterpipes are to close to the surface and therefore freezes. At home no lightbox room. Used a transparent plasticbox, a blouse, an old pillowcover and a small lamp.

The blouse works perfectly and adds a nice lace component to the photo. The colors and shine of the T's show up perfectly.

The lightbox works perfectly! And just look at the teal-blue pearl!!!

The tahitians are accually more colorful in real life. I have asked my not-husband to build me a real lightbox, my pillowcase around a lamp to diffuse the light might be a tad dangerous. But it is an improvement.

Rearranged pearls again. Some time ago I bought a very baroque south sea strand, somewhate offwhite in color. Made a necklace out of it. Didn't like the hugeness of the pearls, the pearls were up to 12mm or maybe I did find it a bit short. Anyway, I didn't love it.
_20181230_102334.jpg
I also bought an even bigger baroque south sea strand, somehow the colors matched. I deconstructed the strands and made a tincup, a lariat and a long rope of baroque south sea pearls and really small freshwater pearls.
_20181230_102420.jpg
Well, I didn't use that one either. I have my Perlescence south sea rope that I love and use all the time. Yesterday I reclaimed all the south sea pearls except for the ones in the tincup and lariat. I took the smaller ones (10-11:ish I think) and made a 21 inch strand out of those. I used the same clasp as Purranha used on her Emily Thorn rope (it looks the same). It's a beautiful clasp, dreadfully fiddly though. It's is not a clasp to attach behind ones neck...
_20181230_102049.jpg
A comparising photo of my new strand and my rope.
_20181230_102214.jpg
The offensiv huge pearls are in a box...

Last edited:
HI - What a wonderful collection. I noticed you mentioned you read 2 books to learn how to make a tin cup . could you share the book title and author I would love to read these as I have some projects in mind. Happy for you to PM me if you if it is against the rules to share the names on the thread.
thanks so much
PG2b

PG2b, I used "the Missing Link" by Cindy Wimmer and "Wire Jewelry Masterclass" by Abby Hook. I learnt really good things from both of them. I also watched some video tutorials on Wendys webpage Pearlescence, but that was after my first tincups. Helpt me to refine my technique. You have to show us your projects when you are done.

SydK, I know what you mean. I have been rereading the Show Us Your Pearls in Action tread, big mistake...Also Baby nurse 365 tread, then I find myself googling Golay and trying to find how to best get my hands on that beautiful tahitian colorgraduated rope (without going to asia).

You're just like me, Charlotta! The more threads I read, the more types of pearls I want! We all enable each other's pearl addictions, I think ;)

CBpearllover, that is so on point. We certainly do enable one another.

I love what you did with all the baroque SS pearls! I love the clasp-- it's too pretty to leave in the back. May I ask where you got that clasp? ( The two cat(?) heads)?

2thdktr, I got it from Beadsfeeder o etsy. Its plated and not expensive, but the quality seems nice. my birdcage enhancertasselhead also came from that shop. It still looks like new.

Today, fun with aceton and glue. I have this amazing green tahitian pearl, about 12mm, that I had on a bail I didn't like. So I put it in a tiny bail, and that one on a tiny enhancer. It was a bit fiddly. Got glue everwhere, normally I don't have this problem but today the glue wouldn't coopearate. Anyway now I have a new enhancer.
_20190102_151843.jpg
Also made a necklace out of the tiny freshwater pearls I had left from the deconstructed south sea rope. I put a 10mm grey tahitian with a small bail on it in the middle. This tahitian pearl did belong to my first pair of tahitian studs. I loved those studs. Had them on every day. One day I forgot to remove them while doing gardening with those earthings on that you use to protect your hearing and promptly lost one stud in the garden never to be found again. So even though not the most colorful tahitian, it has great luster and a special meaning for me. I used beading wire in very fine because of the tiny drillholes on the freshwaters.
_20190102_151726.jpg
I also made an extender with some of the freshwaters and a light grey tahitian (it might also be a silver south sea pearl, I don't remember. Some pearls I have deconstructed for years)
_20190102_154654.jpg

Back