Hot Air Balloon

Purranha

Introducing my new Hot Air Balloon!

This pieces was inspired by the Paspaley Lavalier collection featured in NatGeo's Secret Life of Pearls, and this fabulous design has been loved and shared in various P-G threads as well.

The end result turned out better than I ever imagined, but it also took many trial & error to get there!

IMG_0945.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 31
Initially I was a bit hesitant to start this project because I knew it wasn’t going to be so straight forward. I started with some concept testings.

Drawing from my Foko/Faux Yoko necklace, I started with the weaving method. Testing it on a larger sized (22mm) Larimar ball. After a little while I scratched it since it would be a bit too hard to manage on a smaller sized pearl (if I only had a 20+mm pearl!).

IMG_0776.jpgIMG_0915.jpgIMG_0916.jpg

Then I moved onward to chains and wires. Tested out some chains and proportions ended up being all wrong. What worked in the end was a straight forward wiring. You can see some carnage of failed experiments in the background.

IMG_0937.jpg

After constructing the “basket”, I used an eye pin to create a loop at the bottom of the pearl which sticks out from the basket, create stabilization and provide a loop for attaching tassels.

The Lavalier’s tassels were a bit simpler, but I wanted to try JerseyPearl’s gemstone tassel. I made a smaller version and wanted a shorter chubbier tassel.

It is finally done – again my eyes and hands hate me right now, and I probably will not make another one. I’m going to bed with an ice pack on my eyes after I make this posting.

I will wear this both as a pendant/enhancer, and also as a tassel unit! Will post neck shots over the next few days.
And Happy Mother’s Day everyone!!!

IMG_0940.jpgIMG_0941.jpgIMG_0943.jpgIMG_0945.jpgIMG_0948.jpg

Purrannha you are so talented, this piece is absolutely incredible and gorgeous. I've loved the Paspaley Lavalier collection forever, would love to have one of my own one day.

So lovely, Purranha, excellent work!!! We can count on you to continue to awe and inspire us with your innovative creations!

Wow, that came out really well! I love how you created the basket for this piece. It really looks better, in my opinion, than the original inspiration...much more wearable. And your tassel looks great! Did you use sterling wire? and what gauge? Also are those rhodolite stones? So pretty with that big pearl. Your seed pearl weaving construction looks great with that stone...I hope you finish it. Maybe a chain tassel would look nice, or one with seed pearls. I am very impressed...and a little faint.

Unique design, thanks for sharing.

DK :)

Ladies thank you thank you thank you!!! Thank you for everyone's compliments! I've made a lot of pieces lately, but I actually did a happy dance when I completed this one. Haha not sure if Hot Air Balloon should be the final name for it, I just couldn't think of anything else at the moment.

JP - yes those are rhodolite garnets, and I used sterling silver wires, 26 gauge. I find 26 gauge to be the sweet spot for my wiring projects. 28 gauge is too soft and 24 gets too stiff. Hard to get clean wraps with those. I have a small batch of sterling findings from omg almost a decade ago? And I tend to stay away from karat gold or white gold findings because I get bored of my projects and chop them up & re-work them frequently. That's also what drove me to discover all those al cheapo but pretty awesome findings. :rolleyes:

But Balloon is definitely a keeper and I wish I had better findings as with sterling, I will have to be more careful with tarnish-proving. These days, there are more high-tech wires that are tarnish resistant artistic wires. I plan on getting some of those when I use up my sterling batch!

Purannha, I don't make jewelry... maybe some day (sigh). That looks so complicated to make - congratulations for creating such a lovely piece!

I find that the anti-tarnish strips do a pretty good job of keeping the sterling looking bright and clean...zip lock bags help a lot too. And of course, sunshine cloths are the best. Sometimes I cut a small square and use a cuticle stick with an orthodontic rubber band to get at really small areas. All 3 of my kids had braces, so I have a million of those tiny silicone rubber bands...they are perfect for that and tying up my dog's top knot. You are very talented, and have a wonderful eye for design, balance, and proportion.

Back