Some nice finds from E-Bay

Just to round this out, the seller claimed the pearls were not mis-described and were as 85% advertised. The 20% refund is a joke for this poor quality and the Post Office quoted me over $40 to ship everything back to the seller to get a refund (which is 1/4 of the price I paid).

I called ebay about the situation and they agreed to refund me. I was really impressed with their handling.

Not impressed with the seller at all. I left negative feedback. They responded calling me difficult and I should buy shell pearls if I want perfect. They then emailed me asking me to withdraw the negatives if they agreed to pay for return shipping.

Ebay stepped up and took care of it so I am not responding. I would not wear either strand so they went in the trash. Even practice beading, I don't want to waste my time on something I would never wear.

On a positive note, I just received seven perfectly described strands from rainbowislandpearls on ebay. Inger is a delight to deal with.

Yes, a good seller.

At least now we know how the other one keeps their 100% feedback rating!

Also nice to know that ebay looked after you. It is good this story has a happy ending, despite a bit of an unpleasant ride for Lionlaw! Thanks, too , for keeping us informed...

No worry Lionlaw, this is not a dispute, but a discussion and a civil one at that. Every post has added to this thread and broadened it.

Caitlin, I think you are being a little unfair dismissing all Chinese ebay sellers as prone to hyperbole - I can think of one 'approved' ebay seller (not Chinese) whose descriptions are even more over exaggerated, and yet who is never criticised or condemned.
And I don't think that a single one of us sellers has a unique photo for each and every item - that is unrealistic.

I don't entirely dismiss all those eBay sellers from China; I take the hyperbole into account. And I look carefully at the photos. What I described above in this thread, has been accurate.

Jeremy started the ebay q & a forum, precisely because this was the kind of description pearls were getting, and there were many disappointed buyers. Jeremy and others' opinion is not to buy pearls from eBay at all. Many of us do it anyway, thus he has shut up, but not changed his opinion. Care and Inger, are both highly regarded eBay sellers. Safe to buy from. Pearllunar (There are 2 of these with very similar names. One is ok, the other really bad, but I get them confused.) and Icomepaks have both sold some good pearls. I personally have not seen anything I liked from either of these guys in some time.

Also, our favorite hyperbolistic eBay seller does describe size, weight, shape and color accurately. Her wild, extreme, breathless, iridescent, description of colors is accurate, too; she has an eye for the most subtle of play of colors. She always does individual photographs -up to a dozen of them for each item. She also has 100% feedback on over 10,000 sales. That is what you want to see when you buy from ebay.

A couple of further comments:

The Chinese gov't has set a standard to pearl sizing. It has been discussed on the P-G before. It works like this, though I may not have the exact break-off points. A strand of 7-8mm will start at 6.8mm for the smallest and go to 7.8mm for the largest. This is institutionalized, but most Americans have no clue this is how pearls are sized. they just see they are smaller than expected.

People like Jeremy always resize them to 7mm and 8mm etc. with much narrower range of variation.

Also, for the purposes of this conversation about Chinese ebay pearl-mongers, please don't compare pearls from Amrita, Wendy, Nerida etc. to many/most Chinese ebay sellers! These Forum members have found merchants in China they trust. They've done the picking and culling for you. They may cost more than ebay, but they are a better deal than any B&M store.

Hey Nerida, here's a little push for you: Your repeated recommendations of Apex encouraged Lionlaw to use Apex. Have you written to them to express your disappointment they did not treat other buyers to the same quality you got? Maybe mention this forum, this thread and talk about how high it will rank when someone googles their name?

I think maybe we should change the title of this thread to something like "Mixed Response to ebay's Apex Jewelry Pearls"...That title would put it in the rankings.

Last edited:
Hey Nerida, here's a little push for you: Your repeated recommendations of Apex encouraged Lionlaw to use Apex. Have you written to them to express your disappointment they did not treat other buyers to the same quality you got? Maybe mention this forum, this thread and talk about how high it will rank when someone googles their name?

Good suggestion Caitlin - consider it done!

OK Sergeant Pearl!
Big thanks! You seemed to be the best one to turn the screw a little. Of course anyone who has a strong feeling about it, could pearl police this one too!

Caitlin, I think you are being a little unfair dismissing all Chinese ebay sellers as prone to hyperbole - I can think of one 'approved' ebay seller (not Chinese) whose descriptions are even more over exaggerated, and yet who is never criticised or condemned.

[FONT=&quot]Care doesn't post here much, 27 posts since 2005. She never sells through the P-G, she does not need us, doesn't use us. Doesn't even post pix. Since she never asserts herself over at the P-G, how can I complain or hold her to a standard? No one has ever come over here and complained about their buys from her. Quite the opposite, they seem to have caught her enthusiasm[/FONT]

I really think it is unfair to lump Care in with the vendors I have been dealing with. I have purchased 5 items from Care within the last month ranging in price from $200 to $1,000 (yes I ebay way too much:)) and every single one of them was as photographed and accurately described.

There is a difference in my opinion between using flowery language and way too many adjectives to describe how gorgeous something is and just flat out misdescribing the goods ("cultural gaps" are not a legal defense to fraud). In my experience, Care is accurate in what she posts re the item specifics. If someone has a different experience, then by all means post about it. I think the only way we help each other out is by posting the good and bad with ebay vendors in this topic area.

I have purchased from 8 different vendors mentioned on this subforum on ebay within the last month. Every single Chinese vendor sold me items not as described in varying degrees (mm wrong, shape wrong, lustre wrong, color wrong). Not saying that all Chinese ebay sellers are bad, but just my experience. Care and Inger have been 100% accurate in their listings.

Here are my experiences, not quite like others. I had 2 purchases from Care. The first was about $200, 11 B-/C grade pearls at best, when I first started wire-wrapping and knotting. I knew what kind of pearls I bought and they were what the photos had shown. Besides, less than $20 retail/pearl couldn't be excellent pearls.

My 2nd purchase was a pear shape peacock Cortez pendant w/ simple 22K findings for over $1,000, about 9mm. She had plenty of photos, but I wasn't sure how the colors would look IRL. Colors look different in her photos, which I thought were attributed to different lightings. Luster seemed sharp. I emailed back and forth about the color, etc. and asked about return option if it wasn't what I was looking for. She assured me that it was a fine pearl, I have to see it in person to appreciate the color; and I had the option to return if it was not what I expected. So I clicked the button.

I was really disappointed when I saw it. For that price, I would expect it to knock my socks off. Its luster was good, not razor sharp. Color was better than average but I wouldn't say it was wild and had irridescence of the rainbow with teal, fuchsia, etc. (I've seen better looking Tahitian pearl color). The TPM pearl I bought with traveling orient knocked my socks off when I saw it (it was love at first sight) https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/show-us-your-pearls/2524-tahitian-drop.html. It was much, much less than this Cortez pearl, approximately same size. Knowing I am very critical and picky, I asked "normal" people's opinion, my family. I put the TPM and Cortez pearls next to each other and asked my son, Eric, to give me his opinion of their luster and color. Eric was 15 and knew nothing about pearls. He took one quick look, couldn't comment on color but told me the Tahitian was a lot "shinier". My husband and daughter said color and luster were better on the Tahitian. I paid shipping out of my own and returned it to Care and received full refund.

Color maybe subjective but I don't think luster in this case was hard to prove, even to a 15-year old. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant ebay transaction with her. I am not saying that Tahitian pearls in general are better than Cortez pearls, or vice versa. Just sharing my experience of comparing the two. Cortez production is small, still considered more rare than Tahitian, thus its higher price. But in my case, for a lot more money, I'd think I'd get higher quality, prettier pearl, or comparable. See Cortez photos below.

From that point on, my husband said there is a better safety net if I purchase from PG vendors with 90 day warranty rather than ebay. I didn't listen. :D Since then, I had 3 more pearl purchases on ebay (besides vintagesuzanne for tools). A pair of lavender earrings from pearllunar which was the described size but color was not quite as shown. It was only $50, so no big deal. The big, perfect teardrop Tahitian from pearl_society was a steal and a beauty (post #63 https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/pearls-ebay-q/3623-recent-ebay-buys-2.html), attached photos below. The white SS strand for about $400 from augustus_collection was a disaster (post # 44) https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/pearls-ebay-q/3623-recent-ebay-buys-2.html. So my limit for ebay pearls is now $100. There were times I almost clicked the BIN button for pearllunar, lileifamily but braced myself to stop. If I don't like it enough, I wouldn't even knot, wear it, or give it away as gift. The shipping cost and return shipping to China weren't worth it. I'd be out about $40-$50 per transaction. A few purchases with that kind of shipping cost would be better spent if I save them for charity.

Prior to knowing how to knot, I wanted to bid on a temporary strand of FW from Care. I asked for the cost to pay her to knot. The price quoted was ridiculous, over $100 :eek:. I didn't buy.

Pearl_society teardrop pearl below (their photos), Care's Cortez photos, and last, my TPM pearl wrapped in Venus setting by Jennifer Cross at Pearl Paradise:

Attachments

• sm_044_063.jpg
    sm_044_063.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 43
  • sm_044_071.jpg
    sm_044_071.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 245a_1.JPG
    245a_1.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 260e_1.JPG
    260e_1.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Over the past 5-6 years I have had many purchases from Carolyn, I could not even say how many. Although she does describe with much enthusiasm, then supports that enthusiasm with many clear photos and accurate measurements of each item, I have never been unpleasantly surprised, or disappointed. I never consider an AAAAA+++ as her giving an item an actual "grade". I was fortunate to meet her at Tucson 2008; she is a true pearl and gem lover! Over the years we have had many email exchanges as I have learned about pearls; I do consider her a personal friend.

I have a number of Cortez Pearls from Carolyn, including full strands of baroques and mabes, which I adore. Other major purchases from her include my treasured platinum baroques, a white south sea baroque strand, golden SS strand, strands of Kasumi, plus a number of Josh's fab pearls, too and more.

Comparing Cortez and Tahitian is rather like comparing two different varieties of apples, IMHO.

I am surprised, Cathy, at the cost you mention for the pendant you show. If the color was very dark, or the pearl large for Cortez, I could understand. Currently Care has 5 Cortez pendants listed for between $275-499, and 6 pairs of earrings for between $299-595. (For those unfamiliar with Cortez, the harvest of round and baroque is only about 3,000 pearls each year, and the pearl is much smaller than Tahitians.)

I agree with lionlaw, Care and Inger shouldn't be lumped with the Chinese direct sellers; I have had numerous satisfactory purchases from Inger also.

I am sorry this thread has turned into a carehret thread, instead of staying with ebay pearl sellers in China.

While there are some OK Chinese sellers in this category, 98% of the complaints we have gotten are from buyers who paid for bad pearls from China and the difficulty of returning items, getting refunds, etc. Thus my blanket remarks and mini-tutorial about reading Chinese ads. This thread has shown that even known Chinese sellers can be problematic.

Personally, I would not ever buy from Apex, after this thread. And since pearllunar and icomepacks do not seem to be abl to get the produsct they once had. They both used to sell dark lavenders. Those are out of reach for either seller right now. The keshi have also gone way up. I think this is due to buyers and demand becoming more sophisticated. In any case, never think you are getting top line pearls from these outfits.

Last edited:
As a lowly beader, I used to get teased for buying "the dregs" after all the roundest and lustrous and most unblemished pearls were gone.

I loved potato pearls (Notice how that name is out of favor now?)and when I could pick my own strands at the gem show, I got incredible luster, great color and not so many blemishes. I got everything but round. These happy facts never kept the big boys from pointing out I was buying from the bottom of the heap. That my pearls were junk, etc. My answer was that I was just a "lowly beader" and these were my kind of pearls.

I have "crossed over" from being 100% lowly beader to include round pearls in my wardrobe and now I have some very nice strands of round, but those are not my beading pearls! And I do not use the same standards for both.

One of Pearl Guide's motives in having the ebay q&A, is to educate people to this huge difference. Not to expect beading pearls to be as good as the top lines. Another reason is to demand the inaccurate descriptions get challenged.

Love this thread.

Last edited:
I don't want to digress to far from the original thread, which was about Apex. I am sure there are many others who are happy with their purchases from druzy. Honestly, I do not believe any ebay vendors or PG vendors here can have 100% positive feedbacks. People make mistakes and there are misunderstandings and different expectations. Comparing the Tahitian to the Cortez is like comparing apples and oranges, I understand. I was justifying my purchase by comparing the prices for similar sizing and shape (non-round). The Cortez was listed at twice the price I paid for the Tahitian, but I did get the price to go down a little using best offer. I just checked my Paypal history and I did not make a mistake about how much I paid. It was a nice pearl, just not good enough to keep for what I paid. IMO, I could not justify that price because of its color (yes, it was dark) and the reflection was not the best mirror.

Last edited:
The price on that Cortez pearl is higher than I would have imagined. It does look unusually dark for that line.

The top of the line Tahitians are about a million times more common than the entire harvest of Sea of Cortez pearls including the most baroque.

I have a grade A mabe from SoC pearls. (Not a AA or AAA It has more colors than the Tahitian pictured above. It almost looks like an abalone mabe. I also have 2 baroque pearls from them, via Sherry. they are blue-silver similar to unndyed akoya but the iridescent play on them is unlike any Tahitian, ever.

By taking the "unwanted pearls" after the Round Pearl Buyers have cherry picked the best, Care has made some of the finest pearls in the world available to lowly beaders! And fashion pearl buyers who can't travel the entire Pacific to source pearls can get these unusual pearls outside of the CFWP market at affordable prices.

Right now, she has an entire strand of Cortez pearls, very baroque, for 3.5k. It may not be SoC's top quality, but it would be the most elegant piece in the room wherever it was worn, (unless someone was wearing their 30k or 300k Cortez strand at the same venue!)

I would buy it in a hot flash, but 3.5k is way out of the realm of possibility for me.
(of course, I would become the slavish lobbyist of anyone who would buy it for me! No takers? Darn! Double darn. I want that necklace. I guess I'll have to enlist Octavia!) Instead I was birthday-gifted with enough Tahitian Keshi for a bracelet. The colors are in the same range as my Tahitian necklace, And enough SS keshi to make at least a bracelet, both from Care.

Last edited:
Pattye,
I too have purchased many pearls from Carolyn and am highly delighted with each and every one.
There were two occasions when I wasn't happy with the pearls, but that was not down to her misdescribing or misleading; it was purely that I didn't like the colours. Having contacted her first, I returned the pearls and Carolyn refunded immediately upon receipt.

However, with regard to "I never consider an AAAAA+++ as her giving an item an actual "grade".

No, you and I wouldn't consider that AAAAA+++ is an actual grade of pearl, but we read p.g.
A great many uninformed buyers would do just that - assume that the AAAAA+++ is, indeed, a very, very high grade of pearl.

And if we are to criticise a seller for describing low grade pearls as AAA then we must, surely, apply the same rules to everyone.

This forum is always pleased to receive enquiries from newcomers.
How would you explain to one of them that AAA can be bad but AAAAAAA+++++++ as a grading description is acceptable
We had a deputy prime minister who once punched someone (not entirely without reason) and that was excused by 'oh but that is just John'

I agree the AAA, AAAAA+, etc. is confusing if you rely on it for purchasing, but speaking only for myself, I do not ever use those ratings as a guide since they are so subjective and vary from vendor to vendor. There should be clear standards, but if they exist, I haven't seen them applied anywhere consistently.

Instead, I look at what the merchant says on luster, shape, mm size, etc. So in that regard, I am not confused by what certain vendors say, but am mislead by false claims of shape, mm size and surface blemishes. Again, speaking only for myself, my complaint was not Apex's grading (since I didn't use it as a factor influencing my purchase) but what they specifically said on the shape, surface and luster.

I want to see if I can tie up some odds and ends on this thread and put these subtopics into a framework that includes them both.

At ebay, NOTHING that is marked with AAAAA+++++ is the top grade of whatever gem or pearl it is. It is always the bottom grades. That AAAA stuff is ebay language. Ok, so don't call designer pearls AA,AAA or AAAA+++! Any of those grading adjectives misses the point anyway. We have always poo-poohed this low class approach to selling. But It has nothing to do with the proper pearl world.

Ebay is not the world of the upscale dealers in the convention hall- it’s the crowded noisy bazaars out there in the back 40 world of-pearl tents. Commercial pearls are technically graded into B's, C's, D's, etc, but no one who deals in them, uses a grading standard to sell them. You pick what you want from what you see. These pearls are the dregs, the bottom of the barrel, they are junk, according to serious quality round pearl dealers, and dismissed as having no value. As a lowly beader, I know better! I can find every quality except round ,out back.

People often come over here after they got burned re: pearls on ebay. Some also come over here before they make a bad buy on ebay!. That is what this thread was about, right? When people alert us to misrepresented ads, or bad pearls, we can pearl police them, if we're stirred to do so. Or immortalize them in print, here.

We do seem to demand integrity and professionalism when sellers come onto this forum and put links to their sites into their signatures. They really do need to disclose properly, not use stolen pictures etc. Their sites get looked at by members, who are always trolling for pearls. Members may make comments, whether good or bad about the sites. The people who use links range from the largest pearl sellers tothe smallest, like some of our member/ designers from China, the south seas from Tahiti to New Zealand. And England, France and more and Canada. I would be horrified to see a misinformed dishonest description of the pearls! Or ebay talk in their webpages!

I made this point earlier, but Care has done no such thing on our forum. She is an ebay seller. If you want to buy from her, you go to ebay. You seek her out. You shop by ebay rules. She talks ebay sales talk and has risen to be a top seller. There are no links from here, unless a member gives one. P-G links are not part of her sales strategy. We don’t get complaints about her -except the multi-A thing. No complaints about her Business Practices. It does seem to be the one hard point you can call Care out on, when all complaints are made, It comes down to her hyperbole on the AAAA+++ thing on ebay, because she does include accurate descriptions of her product. So it actually comes down to why does she use that improper grading that offends the quality pearl world people when they deign to visit ebay? You answer that.

I would support a plan to minimize all the fish-tales on ebay, get rid of all the dishonesty, forbid the use of politically incorrect adjectives such as AAA+++. I can’t support making one person an example instead of addressing the root cause, esp. when the person is honest and serves a niche to designers/beaders in the know about her.

I don’t think it is her CFWP that spin my salad dryer, though they serve a purpose in her ebay line up. it is her Sea of Cortez (I found her when googling Sea of Cortez pearls.) Her SS keshi, her Cook Island stuff. Her 22k designs, her choices in gemstone beads. She has a great eye and great taste. If one has similar taste, no need to look further. Here is a person I can let pick stuff out I will like. If I want round freshwater, I’ll go to people on this forum.
Unlike Apex, I know Care will always be an honest ebay seller with a groovy little niche of product.

Back