Vintage Blue Mikimoto Pearl Strand

L

Lyra

I've been following an ebay auction 5013495358 which the seller says is vintage Mikimoto dark blue pearl (7-7.5 mm) necklace with Mikimoto clasp showing S for silver and M for Mikimoto. I don't know what to think of this. On one hand, I do own a vintage 10-11mm bluish gray pearl (6-8 pearls) brooch with K Mikimoto trademark. I always assumed these pearls were Tahitians and not akoya as most vintage Mikimoto. But dark blue just doesn't sound right to me. Being under 8mm sounds like akoya - but did Mikimoto ever dye their pearls this color (1945-1960 vintage)? Any thoughts appreciated.

Looks to me like you are buying the mystique of the box with no proof the pearls originated in that box!

The seller did not include a closeup of the clasp. They said in their question that they sent more pix to askers. Did you ask for a pic of the clasp?

I distrust it because I can't imagine a genuine Mikimoto having a sterling silver clasp!

I sure there will be further comments.

Vintage Mikimoto pearls do have silver clasps - I have three, so I'm not questioning that (originally purchased by my father in the mid to late 50's in Japan). It's the blue pearls that surprised me for being Mikimoto vintage. I did not know that Mikimoto sold blue akoya pearls before 1962-64. I'm a Mikimoto collector (and pearl collector in general) and have many of their pieces, but never seen vintage blue akoya.

That's interesting info. I am surprised. I thought the actual Mikimoto brand was way more fancy than ss. I have read in this forum that Mikimote had other brand names for his less fancy pearls, so I assumed his name brand line would have white gold rather than silver.

Sorry I was of no help to you, but both of us may help the next reader with this exchange.

Thanks and good luck!

Mikimoto brand names

Mikimoto brand names

Lyra and Caitlin,

could you give me some of the Mikimoto brand names for pearls that were not as costly as Mikimoto pearls are usually?

Forgive me for askin a stupid question: Vad does Vintage mean in termes o Mikimoto pearls or jewellery?

I always believed it meant antique jewellery, old, inherited or something like this.....

Thanks for comments

Jerin

These are the lesser expensive (lower quality) Mikimoto lines:

Blue Lagoon
Gordon's Classic collection (this line is only available in 'Gordon's Jewelers'.
Sea Magic (available at a lot of chain-jewelry stores in malls).
Zales Signature Collection (available in Zales Jewelry stores).

Vintage mean antique.

the pearls sold for $1150. the seller also sells psychic readings; make of that what you will.

Back