Interesting Mabe Pearl Plat Ring

Camelotshadow

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-0-...Cd9Yf0qfF5NfZtkfkgLs0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Was watching this one but it ended early this AM. I don't do early decisions too well & I was asleep.

Gosh $390 price was not so bad as at over 11 grams the plat value is least $300

Things I did not like...

cracks on pearl surface esp in upper left top
diamonds around it look really dark & dirty. Not sure if it needed cleaning a the metal even looked dirty but likely poor quality.
Band is a 4 1/2 ish so small ring
Ring shank was made with a multiple wires so might be uncomfortable & harder to size.''

Still I loved it was platinum & color of mabe & the way the diamonds & plat swept onto the pearl...

So was it abalone or tahitian?
Ring was 25mm x 19mm so it was a big pearl or maybe its just mother of pearl?
Still price was for platinum with pearl & diamonds along for the ride...

Any comments? Did I miss something special???

Attachments

• plat mabe 25 x 14.. ,4 ct 5 grams.jpg
    plat mabe 25 x 14.. ,4 ct 5 grams.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Platinum is usually bright white. That looks like oxidized silver to me. Either that or it's really, really dirty. I would imagine it would be very difficult to clean with the metal and prongs in such close proximity to the pearl. But it's a neat looking setting.

I hate when they don't show you the back side. Such a shame the mabe is ruined. I don't think there is a way to repair that. The setting is really unique and I like it too. Don't forget that the pearl has a good weight to it too, so the weight listed isn't all platinum.

I hate when they don't show you the back side. Such a shame the mabe is ruined. I don't think there is a way to repair that. The setting is really unique and I like it too. Don't forget that the pearl has a good weight to it too, so the weight listed isn't all platinum.

I asked them what it was like on the back & for a picture & they never got back to me but in all fairness I asked over the weekend & the listing ended early Monday morning. Anyway I could not stay up for the auction & had gone to bed only a few hours before it ended so I missed it. Not sure how much a pearl like that would weight as not sure what was inside it. Could be heavy at that size as it was about 20mm X 15mm////

There were partial side views as you can see from listing but no rear view. I don;t know if it was a closed back or the pearl was exposed.
I did not like the cracks in the surface & the odd darkness of the diamonds & the metal surrounding it.

I already am playing with "platinum" earrings & a shank like from what I saw would be hard to mark. Don;t know if the ring was marked.

Still if it was platinum there was enough of it even if the pearl weighed 5 grams which it could. Then maybe not 7 g of plat is worth about $250 so if the pearl was really damaged or shell it would not be worth $140? I don;t know enough about pearls to risk it.

It was pretty bt small like I said & hard to size.There are so many things I see I like but can't have them all. I'll pop though if its a extremely good value & I have a chance of flipping it & at least getting my money back if I want to sell it.

I was curious as to what kind of pearl it was>>>?????

Maybe it was even dyed???

Caitlin had a sea of cortez mabe in her avi which reminds meof it bit seems there are some made from shell & they could be dyed but for some reason it looked natural to me...

If it was a sea of cortez...:( ANyway it was not really overpriced but too much speculation for me...
Looks more like a black pearl than a abalone. One cracks goes almost to the center...
I speculated with my platinum gold south sea chipped earrings...:(

I'd like to know as its a learning experience. I've looked at abalone pearls & it does not look the same or was not the nicest one.

Last edited:
Back