Here's another, but this time I honestly have no idea. Tahitian or not?

Freshwaters.
Some of the pearls are eggy.
Cheap magnetic clasp.
The distribution of the colors is not the way round Tahitians with overtone colors look.
The colors themselves have a bit of an oil-slick appearance, and they are bluer than you would typically see in a Tahitian strand. (That is, there are not a lot of blue Tahitian strands.)
And the luster is lacking.

Thank you! I'll learn eventually, I promise! Thank you for tolerating my random questions :)

Look at lots of photos of for-sure Tahitians from reliable vendors and you will gradually come to recognize their appearance better. :D

Note that the starting price was ridiculously low for a Tahitian strand also (would you start that low without a reserve price if selling something valuable?).
I would also expect to see more flaws in a genuine Tahitian strand.

Look at lots of photos of for-sure Tahitians from reliable vendors and you will gradually come to recognize their appearance better. :D

Note that the starting price was ridiculously low for a Tahitian strand also (would you start that low without a reserve price if selling something valuable?).
I would also expect to see more flaws in a genuine Tahitian strand.

It's the optimist in me hoping that maybe they just didn't know what they had, LOL. I did snag the most beautiful carved angel skin coral necklace and removable pendant set in 14k gold for a ridiculous price at a local auction once (no one had any idea what they were but me, it appeared), so I keep hoping I'll find another deal like that!

Unfortunately for us bargain hunters, the information available on the internet has given most sellers the tools to know what they have - and also creative ways to mis-represent it :(

Unfortunately for us bargain hunters, the information available on the internet has given most sellers the tools to know what they have - and also creative ways to mis-represent it :(

I purchased a strand of natural pearls worth around $100,000 from an online antique dealer who apparently thought they were cultured. That is nearly as rare a unicorn.

The only way you would ever find genuine Tahitians in that price range would be if someone thought they were dyed freshwater pearls. It would never happen the other way around.

More than 99% of the Tahitians on eBay are dyed freshwater. Nearly all of the gold clasps are plated base metal that has been stamped (illegally) with 14 karat. Nearly all the akoya are Chinese freshwater. Blaire did a report at last year's ruckus showing us pearls from dozens of different dealers and all of them were the same thing.

Have you ever posted a photo of that natural strand here, Jeremy? I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

Awe, that's a one of a kind present! I'd love to see a picture too!

I'd love to see those naturals, too. I'm guessing they must be really round if the seller thought they were cultured.

Did you know (or guess) they were naturals before you bought them, or after you bought them?

I'd love to see a shot of that strand too...must be very very special!

I also agree with Jeremy's evaluation. If you take a careful look at the photos (enlarge them) you will see spots, uneven dye, and areas where the surface appears to be peeling or scraped away. This strand isn't even a good quality dyed freshwater one...I would think it not worth anything.

Apart from one or two sellers it is pretty safe to assume that all tahitian and south sea pearls on ebay are in fact freshwater and the clasps are plated.

Oh dear, I haven't been on the forum for ages! And right on popping in seeing this thread :)

Photos are really tricky on the internet, this is a vivid example. If compared with an actual tahitian blue strand (that was posted here), well, it IS similar in the photos :D (I'm so sorry to my tahitians for saying that) Even though to me it still lacks luster to be tahitians, but in general the photos can be compared.
Blue Tahitian necklace.jpg

But as Jeremy said, there is only a possibility of finding a bargain if it would be advertised as freshwater pearls, not vice versa.
But having it named as blue tahitians no way anyone would give it away for 40 dollars. Not even for 400. Probably for 4000.. Bu then where is the bargain there))

They could have been off round/ baroques too. Most people don;t think natural when sellign a strand. If the jewelry shows its pre 1915 then its very likely it is natrual pearls if they were not switched out. Natual pearls were always expensive. If I recall in early 1900s someone traded a mansion in NYC for a strand of naturals so most of them are just not lying around with no one knowing what they are. Onoly the very rich could afford pearls. A single natural could pop up in jewelry. There was the pair of earrings that was found that one of the pearls was a huge natural. That's what makes searching older pearl jewelry so alluring. ITs almost as fun as deep water diving to find a pearl in an oyster & probably less likely. but much more safe for the health..LOL

Thanks to the efforts of man to culture the pearl is why all of us can indulge in the passion of the pearl...

The seller says these 1/4 inch wide which is aprox 6.5 mm. Too small for Tahitians. This vintage necklace is made of individually knotted Tahitian cultured pearls. It measures 17" long and 1/4" wide, with a magnetic clasp, and is in very good condition.

Thanks for looking!

I'd love to see those naturals, too. I'm guessing they must be really round if the seller thought they were cultured.

Did you know (or guess) they were naturals before you bought them, or after you bought them?

I asked Hisano for a modeling shot ;) The strand is in the vault at the office though, so we will have to snap one when we are back.

Yes, I was confident the strand was natural when I saw photos. The pearls are very round and they do look like akoya, but the graduation was not typical of a 3.5 momme or 5 momme strand. The smallest pearls were too large and the largest pearls were too large. We sent them to GIA where they confirmed them to be saltwater naturals.

That's amazing, but not surprising Jeremy ... you have an eye for beauty. Perhaps you could convince Hisano to model those pearls for us at Ruckus!

Back