Conch pearls on Rubylane?

And just another reason not to trust appraisals. All three of those items have appraisals by someone named Donald Mackay. I don't know for sure, but the first one could be a necklace made with beads from a conch shell. The beads look large enough that most shells would be too small. The other two are clearly not even shells. They sort of remind me of dyed Chinese coral. None of the three are conch pearls.

And just another reason not to trust appraisals. All three of those items have appraisals by someone named Donald Mackay. I don't know for sure, but the first one could be a necklace made with beads from a conch shell. The beads look large enough that most shells would be too small. The other two are clearly not even shells. They sort of remind me of dyed Chinese coral. None of the three are conch pearls.

I realize this thread is pretty old, but I can't help notice the appraiser of these conch "pearls." I keep running across "appraisals" from this guy in all kinds of random places(online auctions, ebay, etsy, etc), on things I know are NOT what the "appraisal" claims, in either description or valuation. This David MacKay seems to be the goto appraiser for all kinds of cheap jewelry that shady dealers are trying to offlift. Next time I come across one I'll make sure to post it, but I've started to equate any "appraisal" of his with terrible quality fakes and exceedingly overestimated valuation. Ugh.

Awful!!!

I don't know if there are any regulations that govern or even license appraisers.

How many of us read the certificate on the wall or call to verify?

Macay is from Canada

Personally I have come across GIA grads that dont even know real pearls from fake...not defending him but maybe anyone can get appraisal stationary & sign it.

There is no lic #. I see a seal but can only make out Ontario. So who is to say he is a Gemologist/ Appraiser GIA?

D Macay issued a certificate on this..Not pearls but jade & thw appraisal does seem to be in depth.

http://bid.888auctions.com/lot/2983...deite-bangle-gia-certified/?q=169&ref=catalog

Great thread! Thanks for bringing this one up...The job of an appraiser is to appraise the value of an object. The job of a gemologist is to assess and verify the content. The gemologist might provide documentation of content however, that will not express value (think GIA report). An appraiser might rely on that information for valuation. And certainly a jewelry appraiser can (and should) also be a gemologist, and have experience in evaluating design, materials, etc. There are professional boards that maintain code of ethical standards. When seeking an appraisal, evaluate the credentials of the individual. And always remember that appraisal and assessment are two different things.

Ruby Lane is good to remove items that are not as they are stated. this particular item has this notation when you go to look at it.
"We're sorry but Item ID: LC 002889, Vintage CONCH 18kt GP Moonstone Cabochon & Graduated Necklace in category Jewelry:Vintage:Necklaces:Conch, has just been removed." I have a feeling this seller is pushing more fake than non fake and recent items too, but I am not an expert on pearls. So anytime you all see something like this, write to them and complain, they will remove the shop if it happens enough times. (I love Ruby Lane, they try to keep it real there.)

Hi all,

New member/poster here. This an older thread, but hopefully someone can help me out.

I know nothing about pearls, but am shopping for a necklace for my wife. I came across some listings on Ruby Lane, and e-mailed the seller with some questions. She sent me Certificate of Appraisals for these necklaces - appraised by Donald Mackay. I googled him and found this thread (as well as an article about his arrest, which someone else mentioned). Normally, I would walk away immediately after reading, but I'm looking for a double strand, graduated pearl necklace and they seem to be hard to find.

Any thoughts on these, and whether I can trust the descriptions/appraisals?

https://www.rubylane.com/item/640529-LCx20003389/Vintage-Plus-Akoya-Cultured-Pearl-Two?search=1

https://www.rubylane.com/item/640529-LCx20004021/Vintage-14k-Akoya-Cultured-Pearl-Graduated?search=1

https://www.rubylane.com/item/64052...oya-Cultured-Pearl-Double?search=1&t=3c617ab9

She told me she would sell any of them for $800. The "appraisal value" of each is over $3000.

I sure appreciate any help. If anyone can point me to a reputable seller who might have something similar, that would also be most welcome. Thanks!

Hi jjb1981,

I see three vintage necklaces of akoya pearls. Pearl grades are not standardized so I'm just going by what I see in the photos.

Of the three, the first necklace looks the best to me. The pearls are rounder (but not completely round) and the surface seems clean (not a lot of blemishes). The pearls do not seem to be yellowed with age, unlike the other two necklaces. The luster is not sharp but they are also not dull. It looks like it needs a bath, though-- I see something stuck to the 7th pearl left of center in the inner strand-- and despite the seller's comments about the knots, some of the front knots are dirty. I would clean and restring it. Factor the cost of that into the price you pay; it could cost you $100- to $150 to restring, depending on where you have it done. $800 is not outrageous for that necklace.

The second necklace has semi round pearls that are a bit yellowed, and the 3rd necklace is quite baroque, and quite yellowed, both of which reduce the value. Personally I don't think they are worth what is being quoted.

All that being said, do you have any reason for thinking that your wife would prefer an older, graduated longish, somewhat cream colored and not-fully-round pearl necklace rather then something new / white/ shorter/ non-graduated / round?

Pearls are soft gems and pre-worn strands can become dulled and the nacre become thinner from exposure to skin oils, sweat, cosmetics, pollution etc. If you really want to buy a pre-owned strand, I think the seller should agree to refund if you decide they do not meet your standards when you receive them and get a chance to examine them in person.

Moi, I'd rather receive a new strand of pearls from my husband-- but I buy my own! :D

You can buy new pearls online for much less than in brick and mortar stores.

Last edited:
Here are some lovely options in your price range for double-strand pearls. Personally, I think these are a better quality and value for your money than a used strand for $800.

A high appraisal may be used for insurance purposes as retail replacement cost, but don't represent what you could sell the necklace for.

Is there a special reason you are looking for a vintage strand?

Last edited:
Back