Freshwater Pearl Prices Drop 20-25% in 2nd Quarter

E

EdelKontor

In the second quarter of 2004 prices for some categories of freshwater pearls have dropped again. This is a price drop at the source as price per kilo on many of the lower-quality freshwater pearls have gone down to 20-25% lower than that recorded in the early 2004.

This does not necessarily mean that we need to prepare for another tremendous drop in freshwater pearl prices. Many people feel that this drop is not too far from normal as many suppliers drop prices in the middle of the year to clear stock.

This is something, however, that I think those of us who source from smaller freshwater pearl farms need to keep an eye on, however. It is impossible to say when, or even at times why, a domino effect will take place and freshwater pearl prices will again drop across the board.

Raik Werner
http://www.edelkontor.de

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually think prices are attempting to stabalize. There is now an organization that is buying all lower-quality freshwater pearls from farmers and stockpiling them to boost prices in the face of such a rapid decline as we have experienced in the last few years.

One thing I have found interesting, however, is that prices for high-quality Akoya pearls have risen more than 15% in the last year. The commercial-end goods have actually been going down, but I have seen more than $1100 per kilo on 6-7mm lots.

Back