GIA Alumni Pearl Tour - Paspaley Pearls

G

GemGeek

Here is the last of my three-part trip diary from the GIA Pearl Tour - Paspaley Pearls.:) I have to post it in sections, so read on...

Having left Christchurch in the cold rain, we were ready to get back to warm weather. Darwin, Australia is definitely a warm place. As part of group 1, we got up early the first day to take the Grumman Mallard seaplane to Paspaley?s sea-based operations. As you can see in the photo from the bus, we had to get going before dawn.
dawn in darwin.JPG

I love seaplanes. The Grumman Mallard was first built in 1946 and ended production in 1951. Paspaley?s Mallards are refitted with modern turboprop engines and are lovingly maintained.
cockpit.JPG

We covered a lot of land on our way to the Paspaley III. The view from the cabin was awesome. Earplugs were a requirement, one of the only drawbacks of the Mallard experience.
seaplane.JPG

The turboprop engines are extremely powerful and unlike jets, it?s reassuring to be able to see them in motion.
engine.JPG

For many of the group, this was their first water landing. There?s nothing like the moment when the water rises in waves over the windows.
water landing.JPG

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is the beautiful Paspaley III in full harvest operation. Waterproof shoes were a requirement and indeed, we got our feet and ankles wet repeatedly while observing the harvesting operation.

Grafters were removing the first growth pearls and if they were good pearls, and the oyster was in good condition, a second bead was inserted and the oyster was returned for another two years.

Otherwise, the pearl meat was harvested immediately and the shells went on for commercial processing.

Jeremy was in the group where they were harvesting second-growth pearls. He should have some big pearl photos to come.:)
paspaley III.JPG

Richard, our host, opened two oysters and let a couple of us squeeze out the pearl. I felt like a midwife giving birth. It?s amazing how beautiful they are right from the shell. Here is the result.
pearl birth.JPG

Roger trimmed the pearl meat and gave us all a bite ? fresh oyster sashimi, which was very sweet.

Then we went upstairs to see the morning's harvest of pearls. Talk about heaven - we could literally play with pearls! This is how they look with zero cleaning or processing. Amazing!
fresh pearls.JPG

Given a chance to play, one side of the table became impromptu pearl graders. Notice the neat groups of different colors.
amature grading.jpg

More...

The other side of the table experimented, measured, improvised fashion photos and even created art. Richard scrubbed these pearls with salt so we could get a better idea of what the finished product would look like.
unpolished pearls.JPG

That's a big first-growth pearl!
big pearls.JPG

Mona and Betty Sue improvised a glamour photo op.
high fashion.JPG

And Russell made a fish with a golden eye. Notice the air bubbles trickling upward.
pearl fish.JPG

More...

The search for the perfect pearl had several contenders, but this was a favorite.
top pearl.JPG

Next, we take a long boat ride to Kuri Bay, the site of the first land-based pearling operations in the area.

kuri bay.JPG

They have rules.
rules.JPG

And they have pets, too. This one is a python named Monty.
monty.JPG

We are treated to a fabulous lunch. Carl has some major competition as the chef pulled out all the stops for our visit. Here is the table we sat at. Nice view!
lunch deck.JPG

More...

Kuri Bay looks like it's a great place to live and work.

shells.JPG

They even have a phone booth.
phone.JPG

And you can't beat the view.
view.JPG

When it was time to go, they fed their pet sharks with kitchen scraps on the way to the seaplane, which came to meet us in Kuri Bay.
going away party.JPG

More...

The next day we were taken by bus to see Paspaley?s engineering operations back in Darwin.
engineering.JPG

This place is big.
big room.JPG

Here is one of their special working boats being built. Look at those welds! They carry the washing and x-ray equipment.
washer.JPG

We are shown the automatic oyster washing machine. You can see the orange basket being drawn across the top. The cover is closed and jets of pressurized water clean the oysters as they pass through the machine.
new boat.JPG

They use a specially made x-ray setup to check the pearl nacre growth, again, by drawing the baskets across the table.

big x-ray.JPG

More...

Blaire: I am so HAPPY YOU GOT TO GO!!!!! What a wonderful experience! Once in a lifetime for us mortals. Pearl people are very lucky to have such exotic places to live and interesting work to do. I'm just so happy for you! And I love the sharing. (Look at the earth's reflection in the prop's cap in the 3rd photo down.)

Last edited:
We check out the tool room. That's the biggest Crescent Wrench I've ever seen!
tool room.JPG

This machine tightens knots as part of the process of attaching buoys to the long lines that suspend the oysters in the bay.
knotters.JPG

The buoys then get replacement ropes and are ready to go.
buoys on ropes.JPG

Enough of this technical stuff ? show us the pearls!;) But wait, even after we trek to the Paspaley Pearl offices, we have to get step-by-step instruction.

After getting the lowdown on the polishing process, we can hardly be restrained. First they are tumbled.
tumbling.JPG

Then they are graded and sent for polishing.
polishing.JPG

More...

If necessary, they are drilled here. For a drill-through, they drill halfway, then turn the pearl to drill to the center from the other side. That prevents damage at the drill hole.
drill.JPG

Next stop, the knotting station. They have a special process that makes the knots virtually invisible. See what I mean on these "tringles" triangular pearls.
tringle necklace.JPG

Even in the close-up they are almost non-existent. Excuse me while I mop my brow - the luster is getting to me!
tringle close up.JPG

I'll be honest, at this point, I had to cut out a lot of photos of people, because I didn't have time to ask for permission. So you are going to get some bonus pearl photos at the end.

Let the pearls speak for themselves! :)

These are Keshi pearls.
keshi.JPG

Silver Baroques
silver baroques.JPG

More...

Close-up of silver baroques...
silver close up.jpg

Here's a tub of pearls.
mass o pearls.JPG

And mixed colors.
mixed pearls.JPG

You are getting sleepy, very sleepy. You are getting out your wallet?
vat of pearls.JPG

Once you hold them, it's hard to put them down.
pearls in hand.JPG

More...

Go ahead, join us!
pearl hands.JPG

And here is the prize pearl, the biggest and best ? not to be sold.

biggest.JPG

and best.JPG

Okay, here comes the unplanned gallery...

Baroque Pair
baroque pair.jpg

Enormous Baroque
big baroque.jpg

More...

The Dream Button.

dream button.jpg

A fine pair. I wouldn't mind storing them for Paspaley!

fine pair.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, this shape is terrific.
A large gold south sea pearl at Paspaley

They don't get many goldens.
Paspaley even produces some golden South Sea pearls

Here are grading samples.
grading specimens.jpg

More...

This is one killer baroque.
killer baroque.jpg

Betty Flintstone would love earrings like this.
lumpy baroque pair.jpg

My kind of necklace.:)
my kind of necklace.jpg

Here are some trays of specials.
pearl tray 1.jpg

pearl tray 2.jpg

More...

And the last pearls...

Sort of a top-drop.
top drop-ish.jpg

They tell me these are snowmen!;)
snowmen.jpg

This is a really big baroque - yes, it's a different one.:)
really big baroque.jpg

Tringle earring set.
tringle pair.jpg

And last, but not least, an almost transparent baroque drop.
transparent teardrop.jpg

Paspaley's operations were intelligently executed and they ran as smooth as silk. And they let us play with their pearls. What more could we want?

On that note, I will end my photographic story of our wonderful pearl journey. We had an incredible end-of-tour dinner and swapped business cards 'til we dropped. It was a terrific group of people and I will miss having fun with them.

Endless thanks to Gemological Institute of America, Robert Wan - Tahiti, Eyris Blue Pearl Company and Paspaley Pearls. You are all AAA in my book! ;)

Until next year?

knotty panda said:
Blaire: I am so HAPPY YOU GOT TO GO!!!!! What a wonderful experience! Once in a lifetime for us mortals. Pearl people are very lucky to have such exotic places to live and interesting work to do. I'm just so happy for you! And I love the sharing. (Look at the earth's reflection in the prop's cap in the 3rd photo down.)

I noticed the reflection on the propeller cap when I was sizing the photo and it reminded me of the surface of a pearl. See? Even their airplanes are beautiful.;)

I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Just wait until Jeremy posts his photos. And he should have some very interesting commentary.:D

Well, I applauded in the middle of the show, but I'm going to do it again! You take wonderful photos. Tub of pearls! LOL. I could do a bubble bath in that. You showed us some rare treats. I love that palm-sized pearl. Excellent shot showing it's size. Very cool, very playful, your excitement shows all around. I'm just tickled for you. Thank you.

Oh Blaire,
Thank you so much for these diaries - a fantastic read, and beautiful photos.
I'm so grateful to you for sharing.
Fascinating info. that I will re-read many, many times.
And those baroques, oh, wow ! I swear I can see that elusive "water" I keep reading about....

You could as well call this thread 'orient and water debunked', as it cntans such wonderful examples... :cool:

Thank you!

Thanks everyone! Those last pictures are from their specials. A lot of them are the kind of pearls the average person wouldn't see in a lifetime. At first I thought the pictures were boring, but after cropping, they got much better.;)

The pictures with the towel in the background are from the unpolished pearls on the boat. We thought the snowmen were cute!:)

Back