GIA Pearl Tour - Eyris Blue Pearls - New Zealand

Thanks Drea:) I'm now in Eyris pearl withdrawal. I'll have to content myself with my photographs. When you consider the colors of the Paua shell, it's no wonder the Eyris Blue pearls are so beautiful.

paua shell.jpg
paua surface.jpg

Cheers,
Blaire

I was hoping to post some video here, too, but nothing I filmed had anything to do with pearls (that I'm allowed to share).

So, I'll post the weirdest thing we saw on the trip. Leslie and I were walking on the opposite side of the street, looking for a Japanese restaurant we had seen from the bus. I couldn't help but notice the sign in the window that said "Picasso Bathroom Cafe". I made a note to walk back on the other side.

There were people inside eating (eww!), so I went around to the other window and here is what I saw:

And I took this picture from Kakapo's Christchurch page... http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...Things_To_Do-Christchurch-Different-BR-1.html
3661709-Different-Christchurch[1].jpg

What do you think of that?;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot going on here today, so I'm posting some extra photos. I was trying to find the photo of the fifteen thousand dollar "Luscious" pearl. For all I know, I could have "Google Earth" or just unnamed, but pretty pearls. It was raining in NZ, so the lighting wasn't the best.

This is just a cute heart-shaped Eyris mabe pearl...
Heart Shaped Eyris blue pearl

And this one might be Luscious, or not...? It looks like it has a bit more texture than I remember. With Luscious, every change in angle meant a shift in color...
is this lucious.jpg

And this one was as smooth as silk - you're seeing reflections, not bumps.
good mabe.jpg

As it happens, it is raining here today, so a few more pearls = a good thing. ;)

All of those pearls look "Luscious" to me. How is the value of each determined? Surface, color hue, size? Just curious.

Value goes up with better surface quality and color. They have a very good grading system, but I just had to pack the book away for the house restoration. You might enjoy looking at the gallery at their website -- lots of lovely examples to dream on! ;)
http://www.bluepearls.com/

I love Eyris Blue Pearls! Or, at least I love looking at pictures of them-- I've never actually seen any in person. It just occurred to me that I'm not sure how "Eyris" is pronounced. In my mind, I guess I've been pronouncing it like "iris," but I'm not sure that's right. In case I ever have to say it out loud in front of an actual human person, how is it actually pronounced?

Nicole

Thanks for all the great pictures and information. My husband and I are going on vacation to New Zealand in May. I just checked The Blue Pearl website and there is a retailer right near my hotel in Christchurch. I am putting it on my list to things to do. Thanks again for the post.

Lisamla, I'm betting that the store near your hotel is the one where I purchased my ring. It remains one of my very favorites and is my most-worn ring. It has held up very well -- I'm tough on rings, so that's saying a lot! ;)

Have a wonderful vacation and be sure to post some photos for us. :cool:

This is not a Haliotis Iris, but rather a natural pacific abalone pearl found in Monterey, California. It weighs 30.7 carats.

What do you think?

Front
abalone front.jpg

Back
abalone back.jpg

Hi Blaire,

it looks wonderful with these colours! Great photos.:)

Those colors are- (hmmm- reaching for a term--ah yes), Faboo! Though that tooth shape is not my favorite in general, that particular one is so smooth and fat, I think it would make a good piece of jewelry.

Is it yours?

Hi Blaire,

That is a very nice specimen! Beautiful coloring! Not much of the dark edging frequently seen in many. Would love it in a design with perhaps some colored gemstones around to soften the shape...........??? Or with another type pearl................

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

It's not mine, unfortunately. And I didn't take the photos, either, which are very good. The owner's father found it in Monterey in the 1940s.

It's in the process of being appraised and might be for sale. A friend is appraising it and she knows pearls are my specialty, so I get to weigh in. I'll see it in person on Friday night. I had asked to take photos to post here, but when I saw the owner's photos I knew there wasn't any point. ;)

What is it about that blue-green abalone color that makes me weak with desire? I think it would make a fabulous pendant to go with my Eyris pearls!!! And Pattye is right, I think gemstones would be cool. My vote would be to surround it with small Tsavorite Garnets and Paraiba Tourmalines.

Looks great to me - not much dull dark surface at all! Abalone are fantastic through and through :cool:

Speaking of setting, the shape of the pearl reminds me of a Pitcher Plant - if you also have some sympathy for those, perhaps the basic shape could be caught in a 'cap' setting not unlike it was done for the smaller pearl incorporated in This Necklace . On a gem set chain catching the colors of the pearl, it would look quite at home, I would think. And the recipe would strain a custom jeweler's abilities less then colored pave (depending on the jeweler, certainly).

Just a thought :rolleyes:

It was a different abalone pearl - Smetzer's 'Catalina', that first suggested the pitcher plant - abalone pearl association...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great to me - not much dull dark surface at all! Abalone are fantastic through and through :cool:

Speaking of setting, the shape of the pearl reminds me of a Pitcher Plant - if you also have some sympathy for those, perhaps the basic shape could be caught in a 'cap' setting not unlike it was done for the smaller pearl incorporated in This Necklace .

ohmygod that necklace makes me go weak at the knees....

Sheri

Tsk Tsk Tsk....Valeria, what am I going to do with you? Showing me dreamy pieces that I'll never be able to own! Today, in your honor, I'm buying a lottery ticket. Maybe you'll bring me luck! ;)

Fingers crossed!

... but... your pearl is larger and nicer then the one in the necklace - quite obviously so, methinks.

And I was merely reffering to the way the drop there was 'capped' too. Now that ImageShack consents to upload pictures for me again, THIS is what I had in mind.

Speaking of setting, the shape of the pearl reminds me of a Pitcher Plant - if you also have some sympathy for those, perhaps the basic shape could be caught in a 'cap' setting not unlike it was done for the smaller pearl incorporated in This Necklace . On a gem set chain catching the colors of the pearl, it would look quite at home, I would think. And the recipe would strain a custom jeweler's abilities less then colored pave (depending on the jeweler, certainly).

My gosh how do you find these things??? Sigh . . . .

Perle

*alert* *apologies for the non-pearl-related-comment* :eek:

Valeria101 - that site with the pearl necklace you mentioned is dangerous! I just found this there! It's so different and unique... of course this would blow the pearl budget for about 10 years, but OMG!!! (My husband says he'd like to have a word with you...)

mynextring1.jpg

Back