Pinctada mazatlanica?

Further update. Just received email from the company's Commercial director:

'I’d like to issue a correction to our audience. Airtime is expensive, but a loss of the trust and reputation we have built is to my mind much more costly. In this I’d credit your role in bringing this to my attention, and thank the efforts of Douglas and others in what is not only a fantastic gem story but a conservation success also (conservation is something extremely close to my heart). I’ll film this correction tomorrow, and look to play it out either this Thursday or the following at 8pm to achieve maximum reach amongst those who would have watched the first show.
'The information was derived from a number of sources that are normally quite reliable, but will never be a substitute for speaking face-to-face with farmers and dealers at gem shows. I can only offer an apology for getting the species so wrong. I expect you miss the gem shows as much as I do!'
I don't think anyone could wish for more as a correction, with the rider that obviously not yet seen the correction

Good job!

Still makes me curious what species is then the fantastic new producer of Tahiti-like pearls. Or maybe that will be withdrawn too. Makes you wonder what they had. Back at dyed FW?

- Karin

- Karin

I always have increased respect for anyone who can say plainly that they got something wrong

Absolutely! To err is Human :)
Happy they will have this issue cleared...the least "Fake News" we have in the world, the better.
Have a great day to all...and Wendy: well done!

Good job!

Still makes me curious what species is then the fantastic new producer of Tahiti-like pearls. Or maybe that will be withdrawn too. Makes you wonder what they had. Back at dyed FW?

- Karin

- Karin

I believe they were over-blowing Cortez Pearls capacity. The pearls are beautiful, but they do not compete -in my eyes- to Tahitians. It's a niche pearl!

Great work Wendy, I actually snorted when I read this.

My rule of thumb is, if its being raised on Etsy, Ebay, or any tele-marketing channels, and it hasn't been previously written about in the Pearl Industry or Technology news - then it ain't worth reading or watching as in the TV channel here.

I always have increased respect for anyone who can say plainly that they got something wrong
And so true, to get an apology these days when some folks get things plainly wrong is like trying to find the proverbial Unicorn. :)

Well I'm just catching up to this ... Well done Wendy ! And good on them for correcting their mistake. Their reputation is obviously very precious to them and I'm sure they were very pleased to have had their mistake corrected.

I had told a story here a long time ago about shopping in NYC at Bergdorfs - looking at the jewellery dept. They had a YOKO strand of stunning WSS Tahitian and Edisons 13-14mm pearls.... Listed for sale as South Sea and Tahitian. I commented that the pink pearls were Freshwater. .. the salesman said.. no they are South Sea. Then called the manager. He also said they were south sea and checked the information on their computer. I said , well they are Edison Freshwater pearls from China and you might want to verify that given the 50k price tag.
30 min later I was in the shoe dept and the Jewellery manager scurried up to me and said ' thank goodness I found you ! I called Yoko and they confirmed the pink pearls are Freshwater Edisons. Thank you so much !" Reputations are hard earned and should be protected.

I agree Katbran!
It takes time to build a good reputation and you can lose it in the blink of an Eye!

That was nice they were going to correct it on the next showing, but what about the people who already bought them thinking they were rare and something else?

Reviving this thread just a bit!
Our friend and forum member Wendy Graham of pearlescence fame ended up collaborating with Gemporia, the company that made the mistake, and have made some really nice gold settings with cultured pearls. I just wanted to share some photos of this collaboration.
Wendy was also very happy (and I believe all will agree) with the workmanship of the jewelry smiths of India.
Enjoy!
Web capture_17-1-2022_909_www.linkedin.com.jpeg
Gemporia-Jewelry-Wendy-Jan-2022.jpg - Gemporia Jewelry with Cultured Pearls

Back