Anyone up for a Trip to Sea of Cortez Pearls?

jshepherd

I just got this email from GIA. it you're an alum, this is a trip I recommend!

Years ago, Caitlin and Blaire joined Hisano and I for a few days at the farm in Guaymas. It was one of the best farm trips we've ever taken. Hisano and I will be in the Galapagos Islands this week so won't be able to go, but I'd highly recommend!

GIA Trip.JPG

GIA Alumni Los Angeles Chapter
“Perlas del Mar de Cortez” Pearl Harvest Tour
Thursday to Monday, June 13 – 17, 2019

This trip includes all land transportation, hotels and meals, starting from Tucson airport at 9 am on Friday, June 14 and returning approx. 7 pm Sunday evening, June 16. Airfare to Tucson and Thursday+Sunday night hotel rooms at Tucson airport are not included in the pricing below.

Trip Details:

• Arrive Tucson Thursday night, stay at airport hotel – two suggestions (not included in the land package – book them yourself) are:
4-star: https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/h...ilton-hotel-tucson-airport-TUSTADT/index.html
3-star: http://www.laquintatucsonairport.com/?cid=local_945

• Scenic 7-hour chartered coach trip due south from Tucson, AZ to Guaymas, Mexico leaving Friday morning with commentary by pearl farm co-founder Douglas McLaurin-Moreno.
  • Friday and Saturday night hotel stay at the luxury resort hotel Plaza San Carlos on Playa Algodones (http://www.sancarlosplaza.com.mx).
  • ‘Welcome’ Friday night dinner at the Sunset Cantina restaurant (“A Hippie Eco Chic ambiance on the beach serving healthy and tasty grilled meals. The sexiest beach bar in San Carlos”)
  • Breakfast and lunch for Saturday and Sunday are included.
  • Saturday VIP tour of the pearl farm during the pearl harvest, with many opportunities to buy.
  • Farewell Saturday night dinner at La Manga seafood restaurant.
  • Sunday 10:00 a.m. chartered coach departure (9-hour drive, delay due to US border crossing) back to Tucson airport.
  • Sunday night at Tucson airport hotel (not included in land package) and fly out Monday morning.

Cost for the trip
Land Package:

1. $1,150 pp dbl occ. partial ocean view room
  2. Or, $1,200 pp.dbl occ. for a balcony with full ocean view.
Single supplement $125.
Airfare: round-trip airfare to Tucson airport and 2 nights hotel at Tucson airport are NOT included in the land package.

See this story from the GIA Alumni Mexico City Chapter tour in 2016: https://cortezpearl.mx/blogs/the-cortez-pearl-blog/cortez-pearl-vip-harvest-2016
There is a limit of 20 persons for this trip, so IT WILL SELL OUT in the first few days.
The receipt of your FULL PAYMENT ONLY will hold your place on this trip. We will start a waiting list after we sell out and will refund cancellations only if there is someone to fill your place.
Send your full payment check made out to “GIA Alumni Association Los Angeles Chapter” and mail to:
GIAAA-LA, Attn: Charles Carmona, 550 S. Hill St., #1188, Los Angeles, CA 90013
You will be required to sign a release of liability form. You are also encouraged to buy an individual travel insurance policy for this trip.
A VALID PASSPORT or PASSPORT CARD is absolutely REQUIRED for travel on this trip. If you don’t have one, apply NOW for it. A driver’s license is not a proof of citizenship.
Make your flight and hotel reservations as soon as possible.

Oh wow! That would be amazing. I'm not an alum, tho. Plus, I'm teaching a weaving workshop those days.

Last edited:
I think any of us would qualify as a hobbyist. Visiting Guaymas is on my short list, unfortunately I already have a family vacation trip scheduled then.

I would love to make the trip if I can rearrange my schedule!

So excited for you, Linda. The seven hours of commentary by Douglas alone will make this an unforgettable trip.

Go Linda! It's super hot there in June, so bring your lovely lightweight sundresses.

Oh, I would love to do this some year. We already have a family trip planned that week when school lets out for summer.

I got a note that this got cancelled because of lack of participation. I am very sad.:(

Oh that's too bad. So sorry Linda. I was hoping you could be our insider's eye. I would have loved to go but am starting a job on June 4th.

I would have loved to go but my passport is expired & I have to get it renewed. Sad that it's cancelled.

Back