Pearl Guide Article: This is Not a Pearl

This thing happening in the Philippines is laughable....people started to claim “clam pearls” because there was a chemist from a supposedly respected public university and some government “experts” who does destructive tests and they were featured in a popular television show (who didn’t even care to go to a reputable Gem Lab in Hongkong or Bangkok who will have more sophisticated testing equipment) with a conclusion that what was found was a “pearl” using XRF as if XRF will determine whether the material is a pearl or a shell. They didn’t even use an x-ray!
Btw, they arrived at the conclusion because of the chemical composition of the sample being so high in calcium. :rolleyes:
It’s in the local language but you’ll see how they arrived at the conclusion. So many people started claiming they have clam pearls and probably the reason you are bombarded with emails to buy. The “gemologist” in the tv show even said the pearls and very valuable and could be cut in jewelry and the show gave an estimate of almost US$3000 in the black market.

https://youtu.be/QJ-5McYGLN8

Last edited:
That explains why it has been so fierce lately. I put a separate thread to lure sellers into reading the article, although it may not do much good. One guy argued with me that the chemist said it was a pearl, so I know you must be right! :) Thank you.

Back