Moving on the the early 1800's, examples wanted, Dawn? Caitlin?

kiwipaul

Hi all

Next installment of the series I'm doing for P-G News covers 1800 to 1850. Known as the Regency to early Victorian period in UK, and also referred to as the Romantic Period.

I'd love to feature some members examples. Any contributions or suggestions are welcome. Post them here or PM me.

Looking for items like finely woven seed pearl pieces, more mourning/memorial pieces, cannetille work with pearls, pocket watches set with pearls, etc.

A while back in this post: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5958
Caitlin posted the following pic, but reading the post the necklace may have belonged to Dawn?
That's a lovely example and with permission would be great to use, can Caitlin and/or Dawn advise if using the image is OK, and if so how it should be attributed?

attachment.php

Yes, I believe that is Dawn's photo. Thanks for your articles, kiwi Paul. You are helping us turn into Pearl University Online!!!!

And thanks to the brilliant Blaire Beavers for midwifing this university of articles into existence. Love you GemGeek! Keep it up! Your work is stunning

and

I want everyone here to get used to checking the Pearl Guide News, first thing!!!

Thanks, Caitlin! I am trying to put something new every Friday night or Saturday morning. :)

Yes, I'm really enjoying the news as well. Good job keeping us all so well informed! Also, thanks Paul, I'm really enjoying the pearl history!

I'm loving everything about the new website too ... fantastic work on everyone's part ... Thank You all!

Exquisite is the perfect word. Gorgeous piece and beautiful condition. I am in love with the graduated five pearl ring.

Very interesting look at the back of the brooch. I love seeing how everything is put together. What is it strung on? It looks like some sort of nylon, so I am assuming it was restrung recently.

Wow! What beautiful pix to help illustrate this article!.
I think the stringing material could be cat gut if nylon was not around. That is what they used for stringed instruments, so it is not too much a stretch to make that guess--but maybe Paul knows what they were really strung with.

Helen, those pieces are stunning ... thanks ever so much for sharing!

Thank you for posting these, Helen. I keep coming back to look at the gorgeous rings in their original boxes… just amazing!

Thank you Helen for posting the wonderful pictures for us to enjoy.

Glad you enjoyed them...

Very interesting look at the back of the brooch. I love seeing how everything is put together. What is it strung on? It looks like some sort of nylon, so I am assuming it was restrung recently.

The back is messy, I think it's been repaired.....there's an awful lot of glue in there too!! I just googled 'catgut'...it's quite a process...and animal lovers, rest easy...there don't seem to be any cats involved!

The flower rings all have apertures at the back for a locket, which sadly are missing in all three :-(

Hi Helen, lovely examples, thanks so much.

1) The necklace is interesting and I'd say late Georgian / Regency. Are they diamonds or pastes?

2) I'd say the brooch is same period. It would've originally been threaded with horse hair and looks like someone has replaced the horse hair with fishing line nylon. It looks like pearls are all there, and of course looks good from the front just as it is. It would be a labour of love to remove the glue and re-do it a bit more sympathetically - a project for a week of winter's evenings with strong magnifying glasses required.

3) And a great group of rings too!

A Georgian Love Token 18k Gold, Pearl and Turquoise Locket and Chain

A Georgian Love Token 18k Gold, Pearl and Turquoise Locket and Chain

When the recent article on Romantic Era pearl jewelry went live I was still looking for that "killer piece" featuring pearls to illustrate the period.

It's strange how wishful thinking sometimes bears fruit, because the following week I found the perfect piece.

Once a year the Vintage Textile Fair comes to town. It's a one day celebration of costume and accessories, with stall holders and attendees dressed up from Little Bo-Peep to Art Deco vamps.

A few dealers come out of retirement just for this show and sell some treasured items to pay the bills for another year. One of these vintage dealers sold me this necklace from her personal collection.

I knew it was good when I saw it, and moved fast to close the deal before someone else swooped from the feeding frenzy around her stall. What I didn't realize was how good it really was.

Later in the caf? I looked at it under a loupe, and saw the Georgian hallmarks hiding among the rich repousee decoration.

Genuine English Georgian period (1714 to 1830) jewelry is RARE. A locket and chain like this could only be owned by a wealthy family. In late 1700's England there were only about 40,000 families (about 3% of the population ) earning more than ₤200 per annum. So the number of their jewelry items that survive 200 years later is relatively small.

We'll update the 1800-1850 Romantic Era article to include this locket, and decipher the symbolism of its lovers' message in the next couple of days, check it out here.

Until then if anyone wants to try and work out the symbolism, I welcome suggestions.

GeorgianLoveTokenLocket.jpg

Last edited:
Back