Pearl Paradise The Internet's Largest Collection of Fine Pearls - Shop Now! 80% Off Retail. Free Returns. Free Shipping. A+ Rating on BBB.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History of Mussel Harvest on the Mississippi River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Mussel Harvest on the Mississippi River

I have been looking for pictures of mussel shell MoP beads and found this article:
    http://www.fws.gov/midwest/mussel/harvest.html

The picture of nuclei isn't big enough but the story is a nice bit of American pearl history.

Look here are all the topics you can get to from this link

Species, Photos and Identification • Threatened and Endangered Mussels • Life History • Ecology
    Mussel Harvest on the River • Current Threats • Mussel Conservation Activities
    Ongoing Studies and Projects • Multimedia • Teacher Resources • Frequently Asked Questions
    Glossary • References • Links to Other Mussel Sites • About this site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Department of the Interior • U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service • U.S. Geological Survey
    Last edited by Caitlin; 04-18-2006, 10:24 PM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Great link! I just printed out the "Billie Button" story for light reading on my next 12 hour flight
    Last edited by jshepherd; 04-19-2006, 02:27 AM.
    Jeremy Shepherd
    President and Founder
    PearlParadise.com, Inc.
    The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
    PearlParadise.com on Flickr
    PearlParadise.com on Facebook
    Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

I started reading it and got roped in. Now I have to do 13 different downloads to get it!

Have a great trip...heh, heh, heh!
      Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

I remember that when I was a child, my mother collected buttons. She had this tin canaster just full of them. After looking at the button display they have pictured from the Muscatine Art Center I realise that there are a lot of those same buttons in that tin.

I know she stilll has them - she never threw away anything.

Comment

Great Stuff!

Hi Caitlin,

Great information. I never realized how many species of mussels there were. Thanks as I enjoyed the reading!

Comment

Good information!

I will really save time to read the articles.

thanks for Caitlin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearls_by_Angela_Carol
              ...my mother collected buttons. She had this tin canaster .....I realise that there are a lot of those same buttons in that tin...
              I am likely your mother's age. here is one section of my button box. Doesn't everyone have one?

I love the one on the lower left. Wouldn't it be great to have some beads made out of that?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Caitlin; 04-19-2006, 01:40 PM.
              Caitlin

Comment

Beads out of buttons....

Yes those would make wonderful beads!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Caitlin Williams
                  I am likely your mother's age. here is one section of my button box. Doesn't everyone have one?

I love the one on the lower left. Wouldn't it be great to have some beads made out of that?
                  Actually you are younger than my mother - but we will not go there

The next time that I visit with her, I will see if she will dig them out for me so that I can take some photos. It would be worth it just for historical purposes because I know that a lot of them came from clothing from when she was a child.

Personally I like the Abalone one that is lower right. But then again, I have always liked that look on other things. I always preferred multi colors marbles over cats-eye marbles and I like Damascus steel.

Comment

Yes, abalone is my first seashell love, but that MoP is especially pretty- make good beads. I wonder if nuclei look like that. I am still trying to get some pix of nuclei.
                    Caitlin

Comment

Pearl culturing nuclei

Hi Caitlin,

Here's a link to a nucleus seller for pearl culturing. http://shenfu.en.alibaba.com/group/5...i_Nucleus.html

Zeide

Comment

Working...
                      X