How old is this pearl ? Play again !

It' s a Carolingian setting over a Ist c. aquamarine intaglio signed Evodos
dated IX c. in gold sapphires and pearls

Could you believe this pearl is already 500 years old ?
But who is portrayed here ?

Attachments

• P1260997-anna tabakhova cliclasp pearl  paris.jpg
    P1260997-anna tabakhova cliclasp pearl paris.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 48
I'll guess it is Queen Elizabeth the First. Stunning piece!

Sorry not,
not her dressing, not her :) :)

I never guess on this thread (too intimidated) but I think I recognize her profile. Catherine, Medici?

Well, since it is "attributed" but not quite sure, I will tell you.
Did you know about that french expression :" I give my tongue to the cat " ? it means," I give up searching, tell me now" :)
It is said to be Marie Stuart, an agate/ onyx cameo on enameled gold, circa 1550-1560, but it's true it resembles to her according to other portraits.
The setting and the shape of the frame are nice, and what a pearl !

Mmmmm..

LOL! I can't believe I was going to say this "But the upper lip is too short, and the chin is so round and prominent, and she doesn't look Scots enough!" Then I brought myself up short - for Gods sake, it's a Cameo!

How could I argue the length of an upper lip in a cameo, as if it were a portrait?!?! The feat of a cameo of this brilliant execution is enough!

(and I suppose the style of dress better matches Mary Queen of Scotland. I'm no scholar, sigh)

Anna, as usual, this is an incredibly fun thread. Thank you!

Last edited:
I want a job where I can wear a tiara like this every day!

Personally, I would prefer not , I don't see so many princesses looking happy and realizing their dreams and living outstanding adventures … think twice

Mmmmm..

LOL! I can't believe I was going to say this "But the upper lip is too short, and the chin is so round and prominent, and she doesn't look Scots enough!" Then I brought myself up short - for Gods sake, it's a Cameo!

How could I argue the length of an upper lip in a cameo, as if it were a portrait?!?! The feat of a cameo of this brilliant execution is enough!

(and I suppose the style of dress better matches Mary Queen of Scotland. I'm no scholar, sigh)

Anna, as usual, this is an incredibly fun thread. Thank you!

I love how "she doesn't look Scott enough"! We expect a Mary Queen of Scott to look scottish, don't we? But she has a lot more English and French blood than scottish.

On a tangent, royalty very rarely looks like their nationality. Catherine of Aragon, usually shown as dark haired and olive skinned in pop culture, was a fair skinned blonde, for example.

Catherine of Aragon.jpg

If we look at most royal families, they are marrying outside their country, for political alliances, most of the time. So, if we consider the first of a dynasty as 100% national (an iffy supposition but bear with me for the numbers), the son will be 50% (100% father, 0% mother), the grandson 25% (50% father, 0% mother) and so on. Of course, the mother will probably not be 0% nationality either, since there is a good chance that her ancestors were also marrying outside the country. But, in the end, royalty of different countries were a lot more closely related with each other than with their subjects.

Don't you love Holbein??? I love his work as much as Vermeer!

Anna, can't wait for what's next!

Back