How old is this pearl ? Play again !

Natural pearls became very hard to find about the time cultured pearls came on the scene. The whole natural pearl industry shrank to almost nothing.

Costume jewelry became huge at that time as well.

Congratulations,

Though renewel in costume jewelry re-appeared as soon as 1900, mass production in jewelry and taste for very big pieces of jewelry, brought costume J. at its highest level in the 50'.
Mainly strass and pearls were in fashion.

This one is made by ROGER Jean-Pierre in 1960 for Christian Dior.
Cut glass, golden metal and faux pearls
This jewel and the previous ones can be seen at the Gallery of jewellery in Paris which exhibits jewellery fom Middle ages to today, some others photos taken at the Pearl exhibition in Paris beginning of this year.

"Haute couture" liked very much costume jewelry and requested great artists to produce many.
Coco Chanel was very found of it, as well as Christian Dior, Balenciaga and so many more today.
Coco Chanel declared (free translation :D) :
"Nothing looks so close to a fake jewel like a very beautiful true jewel. So what ; being hypnotized by a beautiful stone ? You better wear a cheque around your neck !"

And what's your opinion, does this apply to pearls :p ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Anna,

as there are so many beautiful real freshwater pearls to be had I don?t think that our members would prefer fake pearls - that would perhaps be the case if they want to give the impression of having large, withe SS pearls but yes, what Coco Chanel said is very true in my opinion! With larger pearls generally people do assume them to be fakes - we know better though!
BTW have you seen Mrs Rice on the news? Hers are probably real SS-pearls!:D

I agree with you, I was joking of course :D
With the arrival of FW pearls in the 90', fake pearls are no longer in the mood, close to the ridiculous, should I say.

Here is a link to Mrs C. Rice, everyone can see,
I noticed she has a spectacular black pearl necklace as well

http://www.interet-general.info/IMG/Condoleezza-Rice-3-2.jpg

What a change in such a short period of time !
We are entering in the "pearl for everyone era"
Beautiful is no longer expensive, should it be a way of conclusion ?

What about this one ?
Which pearls can be seen ?

Enjoy and play again ;)

But when and how will this thread go to the end ? :confused:
I have something very special for you all overthere, keep on connecting:p

Attachments

• pearl-story59.jpg
    pearl-story59.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 33
Hummm, Looks like those fw toothpick pearls, with a variety of fw, tahitian, ss, maybe a platinum wire choker, or white gold----also looks like some tiny keishi stations?? A very intriguing piece, somehow informal, yet glamorous----------

A very intriguing piece, somehow informal, yet glamorous
It looks very modern
So it seems that everyone won today :D
It has been made by - IMO - the greatest jeweler designer of XX century : Jean Vendome in Paris .

This piece was exhibited in the 2007 pearl exhibition in Paris
It had been made around 1970, at time were only perfect round akoya pearls were accepted most of the time.
That's what makes this piece so interesting, this great artist came through the codes of traditional jewellery and "paid" a tribute to pearls from all over the world : Biwa, South sea, China, baroques, keishis, sticks and so, set in an audacious setting with a white gold wire choker.

Oh I really love it , hope you enjoy it :):)

Wonderful! I love how he "bucked" tradition with that piece! Would love to see it in person also----

It looks like this is the end of a 5000 years' story :(
At least the end of photos I have collected myself to share with you (60 pict.).
This story is far from complete and focused only on pictures available.

Thanks for your participation and understanding about the english (I tried my best but... :eek:)

The end really :rolleyes: ? to morrow something very special... ;)

I love this thread! Thank you so much for sharing all your hard work with us! And the way you made it a game, a really fun game with a very creative twist that draws us in and keeps our attention.

:eek:Coming to the end?!?!?! Oh! What will we do now?!?!:eek:

Thank you so much! This has been so entertaining and educational. I'm sure we'll all miss it. ...and your english is excellent--far better than my french!:D

Marc

Cliclasp - I have loved this thread - I'm a bit of a maths/science freak, so my history knowledge is pretty limited, but I have enjoyed the discussions so very much. Thank you for your continued enthusiasm, and I agree with Marc - your English is so so better than our French!

Okay I propose we keep this thread ongoing it is way too much fun of a game to let it go away now..... I have a few pictures I have taken. I would be happy to share if anyone is game. and anyone can be next if they wish...

Here is the first piece...

I apologize some are fuzzy these were the first ones I took with the camera I have now... was still learning how to use it on this trip.

What timeframe and region do you think this is from.

When I travel next to London, I can also resume the story ;) in the meantime, like Ash does,
Let's share the fun :D

Meanwhile, as I promised, here is a way of a final :
How long have you been searching for famous pearls pictures, so scarcely shown wit copyrights and so?
What is the Hope, a pearl or a blue diamond brought back by JB Tavernier from Indian trip for Louis XIV, or both ?
And the Pellegrina and Peregrina what's difference ?
It is not so easy to find pictures of .

So last but not least here are 3 famous "big" pearls in the world I have taken pict. of myself, and kept for "the final" to share them here.

It's up to you to give the answer of :
- What's their name
- How big they are
- and as many info as you like to

Enjoy again ;)

Attachments

• pearl-story63.jpg
    pearl-story63.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 36
  • pearl-story61.jpg
    pearl-story61.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 32