Um Kulthum's natural pearls up for sale

S

Slraep

Attachments

• 4pear.jpg
    4pear.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder to whom this beauty will go....

"The significance of the Um Kulthum sale centres around her as “one of the most famous Arab women in history”, Michael Jeha, Managing Director Christie’s Middle East, told Emirates Business. Christie’s expects a lot of interest in the pearl necklace, conservatively estimated at $80,000 to $120,000."

“We expect it to exceed its estimate. The provenance of the piece can affect its value, people love to buy provenance, they love to buy into history. It adds to the piece and increases its value.”

http://www.business24-7.ae/cs/article_show_mainh1_story.aspx?HeadlineID=3245

It exceeded Christie's estimation by a large margin! There are two conflicting reports online. The low winning bid reported by Gulf News was $1.2 million and the high winning bid reported by Modern Jeweler was $1.4 million. I don't know which report is correct, but either way that is a large sum for the necklace!

jshepherd said:
It exceeded Christie's estimation by a large margin! There are two conflicting reports online. The low winning bid reported by Gulf News was $1.2 million and the high winning bid reported by Modern Jeweler was $1.4 million. I don't know which report is correct, but either way that is a large sum for the necklace!

Not surprising in the least! The estimation given of her necklace before auction was a bit of a head scratcher seeing as how very loved she was and still is by her listening public. Um Kulthum's voice and interpretation of Arabic song was legendary and amazing. The buyer of the necklace not only bought some cool strands of natural pearls, he/she bought a piece of history. A history that is obviously verifiable.

Slraep

Back