Shell Gorget, circa 1200 AD

I

ISKR5

I am a collector of Native American Art and ask for your assistance. I am considering the purchase of a shell gorget, circa 1200AD, Mississippian period [pre-contact period]. gorgets, as a point of explanation, were worn by almost all males in the period of cultural development. The artifact in question is approximately 3 inches in diameter, circular and engraved with a design of that period.

My question is in reference to where the material could have been obtained. While Native Americans traded a variety of materials over large areas, the utilization of mother of pearl is rather unusual. The design on the gorget is of the area that now constitutes Central Tennessee.

Does any of this make sense?

Ay assistance would be very much appreciated.

This is a notable archeological find, but does actually fit within the time parameters, and may not be as unusual as you presume.
I assume the gorget is engraved with iconography of the Tennessee Indians' religious beliefs. It is most likely Cherokee I believe.
The Tennessee Indians during that era did make a lot of shell gorgets which were more ceremonial in nature which explains the small size and lack of protection a traditional gorget would afford.
The Native Americans of the time used the wall sections of marine conch shells to produce these gorgets. Presumably the conch shell was obtained from the Gulf of Mexico.
The Tennessee Indians also used this same shell to carve ceremonial masks.

Shell gorget

Shell gorget

Thanks for the email or posting. The item in question preceeds the Cherokee by about 1000 years, but granted these people, along with others , eventually became Cherokee, Seminole, Creek, etc. The question actually deals with the use of Mother of Pearl in cultural artifacts of that period. Most gorgets, as you note, were made of shell. This example is out of the norm, and as such poses a question as to authenticity. I have seen hundreds of gorgets, either actual examples or in ethnographic publications. All, without exception, were of shell. none were of Mother-Of-Pearl. But, such things can happen.....any thoughts. I.S.K.Reeves V

But there are artifacts found from the region that date back as early as 1400AD that are Cherokee...These are published museum pieces...so 1200AD is very close.
I am not sure what you mean by 'shell' vs 'mother-of-pearl'. Shell actually is 'mother-of-pearl'. Mother of pearl is (more or less) a fancy name for shell...

Many of the artifacts on the above mentioned page have the gleam of mother of pearl. Can anyone tell what kind of shell(s) were used for the objects on this page?

This site also has a page on beads. The Mississippian culture collected and highly valued freshwater pearls among other stones, metals, mica, and beads. Some mounds had buckets of fw pearls stashed.

BTW This culture's importance is vastly underappreciated in anthropological, archeological, and historical circles, yet it was part of the largest major culture area of the US. I have alweays been struck by the many similarities of the architecture and artifacts of these cultures with those of central Mexico.

http://www.mississippian-artifacts.com/ choose "beads" from the menu on right.

Back