Pearling in Europe

• Thread starter Satine De La Courcel
  • Start date
S

Satine De La Courcel

Good day everybody,

My real name Is Ashby McKenney, I am a Historical Re-enactor with a fascination and deep love of Pearls. I go by Satine De La Courcel in the re-enactment group. group. Pearls are my chosen area of research. Since my persona varied from 1450-1600 and that was a time when pearls were awash in the courts of europe... I seek to make my perona as accurate as possible. I am also very iterested in learning as much about pearls from history and current goings on, as I can. I find it fascinating.

I am desperately seeking resources on pearling in Europe, Specifically Scotland, Denmark, Russia (and any other countried from 1000-1600 that were active in the european pearl trade of the day, I have the Book of Pearls by George Frederick Kunz, 3rd ed 2001 and The book of Pearls by Joan Younger Dickinson, They are wonderful resources however I am seeking for more resources to continue my research. any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very Much in advance for your consideration to my request.
sincerely
Ashby McKenney

Hello Ashby,

After reading your post I looked through my library of pearl books to determine which had the best historical information of pearls. After taking a look at the different 'history' chapters of each book I really feel that George Frederick Kunz's book as the most in depth information. Chapter 2 covers that era in such great detail. I think this is because the book was actually published in 1908 before pearl farming took hold. Newer books focus so much more on Mikimoto and Japanese pearl divers.

I have a few more books at home and I will look over those later. If there are any others I will let you know.

One other book you may be interested in is "Pearling in the Arabian Gulf" by Saif Marzooq al-Shamlan. Most pearls came from this area during the era you are re-enacting, although the book covers a time-line post 1700.

Here are a few notable things during that period. There are of course many more, but we could write a book with all the information.

1294 - Marco Polo writes about the Ceylon Pearl Beds

1498 - Christopher Columbus returns from his third trip to the Americas with pearls from the Venezuelan coast.

1560 - The famous 'La Peregrina' is found off Pearl Island in Panama.

1558-1603 - England's Queen Elizabeth I popularizes natural pearls by wearing 7 ropes of pearls daily, and owning more than 3000 pearl-embroidered dresses, and 80 pearl-decorated wigs.

1742 - Swedish naturalist 'Linneaus' is the first to experiment with culturing pearls by drilling holes into freshwater mussels and inserting limestone beads as nuclei.

Thank you Mr. Shepherd,

Thank you for your help. I do have the Kunz book 2001 printing. I love it! You gave me some dates I have not been able to nail down for my reasearch. Thank you again! I am looking into the Pearling in The Persian Gulf, book you recomended. One can never have too many books on pearls.

Thank you again

Ashby

Pearl history research....

Pearl history research....

Dear Mr Shepherd,

Again thank you for the Leads. it is a sloe provess to get to what I am looknig for but it is coming along! I am very grateful to people like you for your help and Guidance. I have a question for you about a couple books I am looking into Purchasing... What do you know about the Books The Pearl by Sylvia Malaguzzi and The History of the Pearl by, Landman and Mikkeson(sp) This is the one that came out to go with the traveling parl exhibit in 2001(I think) Have you read these books are they good for reference materials or not so much... Also do you know anything about a book called Pearling and PEealing life by Edwin Streeter, Published in London 1886????

Thank you for your time, Guidance and Suggestions to my requests

Ashby

The only book I know about is Pearling and Pearling Life, but this is a very hard book to get. It is not in print so not a lot of places sell them.
If you are tossing around the idea of purchasing those books, and you have a way of purchasing them, I will buy them all from you when you are finished if you do.
Let me know!

Pearl books

Pearl books

My Mama Gets the books once I am finished with them. Sorry

However.... I am possibly able to get the natural History of Pearls book through Barnes and Noble or Chapters.ca and a friend of mine is hunting down the Pearls and Pearling life book. as well as The Pearls book By Sylvia Malaguzzi..... Of course the two most elusive ones......are the ones I really need for my renaissance reserch.... such is life... Should I find any of them elsewhere in my online travels I will be sure to pass on the Info.

Ashby

You may actually be in luck with Pearls and Pearling Life by E.W. Streeter soon! Hesperian press is currently preparing a reprint. I am not sure when it will be released, but I imagine it won't take long.
Also...
There was an original at the Bernice P. Bishop Museum of Natural and Cultural History, but the condition was reportedly so poor it was crumbling. I guess there are not a lot of originals that have survived.
There was a replica created at the Etherington Conservation Center. You can reach them by email at ecc@icibinding.com. They may be able to help you get your hands on a copy.

Pearl Books..

Pearl Books..

Thank you so much for the information! I am soo Excited to hear about the re-print! Yes you are right there are very few copies left and teh one I ws hoping ot get my hands on has already been sold. You gave me such great News! I am Very! excited ! I will be looking for that book to add to my collection! I told my mama about it asn she has asked me to get her her own copy! LOL~!!!!!!

Thanks again!
Ashby

pearls and pearling life

pearls and pearling life

Hello everybody, Just found this forum. I have a first edition copy of "Pearls and pearling life" by EW Streeter. in very good condition. It is to be auctioned at Sotheby's in London in June.

Book Find!

Book Find!

Hi everyone,
I am really excited! for many reasons but the one the brings me here is two fold and two more books I have ordered on pearls... I did order the Book Pearls Beyond Price...

While "surfing late one night I found on Alibris Rare and Used books The Scottish Pearl in its world Context... about Scotland it is history with its Freshwater Pearls... Both books are said to contain pearl history... I am really excited about this! My intended series of pearls in the middle ages through reniassance can advance a little further...
I am still looking for books that reference pre 1600 ad stuff about pearls, and Pearl Fishing as well as how they were used in this time.. Ie.. adornment on clothing, medicinal pruposes, jewelry.. etc....

Thank you to everyone for your guidance and Advice! By little collection of Pearl books is slowly growing.. I also recently did get my hands on Sylvia Malaguzzi's The Pearl and Pearls a Natural History the book that accompanies teh traceling Pearl exhibit that is in Wisconsin right now.... Off to try other avenues for more books...

Thanks again

Ashby

Ashby,

Donkin's book has a chapter on Europe as well as does Kunz. You can buy the Dover reprint edition of Kunz & Stevenson's Book of The Pearl for about 15 bucks. With those two you have a comprehensive overview of the world.

Richard W.Wise

Andy,

Is there a gem book collector in the house? Got any more particulars on the Streeter book or a link to the sale website?

Anyone else on the forum that is interested in books? Have a 1st edition of Kunz & Stevenson's Book of The Pearl for sale. Have two! This is one of the most beautiful gem books ever printed foli size with a beautiful art nouveau design on the cover and certainly one of the most comprehensive books on pearls ever written.

Kunz Book

Kunz Book

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info however I already Have the Kunz book its a 3rd ed reprint... and It does not go into as much detail as I am looking for. I am waiting to receive my "Beyond Price" Book...

If anyone has any more Ideas for Books that may contain Pearl history in Europe, The Far East and The Middle East from the Years 600-1600 please let me know... Thanks..

Ashby

pearls and pearling life

pearls and pearling life

Sorry not to reply earlier. The book is up for auction at sothebys london. see www.sothebys.com jewelry sale L05052 lot number 6 on 13 june.

About Australian Pearling History

About Australian Pearling History

Hi Satine,

You might find this link interesting, has some information on the Australian Pearling History (http://www.gem.org.au/pearl.htm) including a note about Mr. Streeter himself (the book Mr. Shepherd wrote about). Another great resource for Australian pearls is the work of William Saville-Kent and the articles written by C. Denis George.

I guess that it is very difficult to find Medieval writtings about the pearl. In those ages most people were not literate and most of the writting was done by monks...I guess monks didn't care much about pearls. Still, if someone finds this kind of information, please share it with the rest of the group.

The oldest information I have come upon is mainly of German & French origin, going as far back as the 1800's...not very old.

Hope this information is interesting.

Diego Moreno

How did you do at Sothebe's auction, how much did the Streeter book go for?

pearls and pearling life

pearls and pearling life

the book sold, not sure who to. £2000 so quite pleased.

Leads....

Leads....

Hi Diego,

Thanks for teh Lead I will check out the site, I must admit I am very behind on my e-mails.... Busy Life these days Summer is the "busy Season" for re-enactors.. its Par for the course.... Anyway thanks I will check out the site ASAP!!!!!

Ashby/Satine

Back