Queen Mary’s pearl jewelry

multichrome

I enjoy reading about all her jewels, but her pearls were extra extra! She could wear so many pieces at once and still not look like they were wearing her. (A long neck and being 5’6” helped.) I found these images today. I’d been really wanting to see a color image of her in her jewelry. The postcard is contemporary, and not necessarily accurate, but my imagination is happy with it.

Apparently court jewelry fans call her “The Magpie.” This is not derogatory! However, they are dragging the Duchess of Gloucester, who now owns the 11 strand choker, for loosening the bottom strands. “I don’t like droopy pearls,” said one.

Anyway, I hope y’all enjoy a little fun history plus pearl eye candy.

9621F38B-220F-48D5-A85C-3D26D25F59A9.jpg

B861147B-72F5-4A35-A678-3DBBF53CBC1B.jpeg

The droopy pearl quote might be mine. At some point the lower strands were lengthened, and they were lengthened too much, and the choker no longer has integrity.

I agree with you and the poster if it was you. I wish they’d found a better solution if the Duchess found the necklace too tight.

EDIT: I looked and that was indeed you. Good call.

The droopy pearl quote might be mine. At some point the lower strands were lengthened, and they were lengthened too much, and the choker no longer has integrity.

Last edited:
I do prefer the way Queen Mary layered on her jewels compared to Queen Alexandra. Queen A just piled them on. Queen Mary had an eye for balance and style.

Yes, I prefer Queen Mary's style too. She is allowing the pearls to express...and when you "cover/layer" yourself with ropes it is just as if screaming "I´m just too wealthy and powerful!" but the pearls don´t express themselves...they are just piled up!
Reminds me of the Rajs and Ranas of India with all their strands upon strands.

Queen Mary had excellent taste. Her mother Princess Mary Adelaide, the Duchess of Teck, did too. Mary Adelaide’s enjoyment of jewels far outstripped her budget, but when Mary married George, money was no longer a concern. Someone said of QM, “She regarded royalty as a profession,” and I think her jewels were part of her uniform, so to speak. I have read and enjoyed a biography of QM by Anne Edwards, “Matriarch.” It’s somewhat dated, but it’s well-written and moves along well. Mary’s granddaughter Elizabeth II has all the jewelry in the world, but she is usually wearing something meaningful; symbolic of the occasion, or something gifted to her by family. I think her taste is also excellent. OK, I am rambling, I should go look at royal jewelry blogs or something.

Oops, I meant to post QM’s conch pearl pendant/brooch that I spotted the other day. Oh myyyyyyy

116ABA4F-0E87-4B1A-96F2-8E962F00B04D.jpeg

Oh wow! That Conch pearl pendant/brooch is out of the ordinary and yet, simplistic. Nice of you to post the photo with the item being worn and the piece in color :)

You’re right, Douglas! They let those pearls speak for themselves, didn’t they? though the setting is luxurious. I love jewels in context. I snagged the pic from the website I was reading, so I should credit them, but they do not credit anyone—the site is conchpearls.com.

Oh wow! That Conch pearl pendant/brooch is out of the ordinary and yet, simplistic. Nice of you to post the photo with the item being worn and the piece in color :)

Back