Imelda and her pearls

cyndayco

Everyone knows Imelda Marcos and her collection of shoes. Not many know her real crime is spending government funds and ill-gotten dividends on outrageous jewelry and Impressionist art. Aside from diamond tiaras and sapphire bibs, she wore these.

12779280_1036205703118189_2446177898617838897_o.jpg12909449_1037315269673899_819041556592665347_o.jpg

Photos courtesy of the Presidential Commission on Good Government, which confiscated these and are still fighting (30 years later!) to reclaim our nation's wealth from the Marcoses.

It's really staggering how much Imelda spent on shoes and jewelry and art, and they still had millions in cash left over. I had no idea there was that much money in that country to steal.

Last edited:
What is even crazier is that she was voted back into a Governmental Role...Pearls/Jewelry/Shoes aside :confused:

Since you put it that way...it isn't like we have stellar politicians here. But the pearls in DC are outstanding LOL.
I can't criticize. Here, a former president impeached for corruption is now a senator.

Thanks for commiserating with me. On a related note, those lilies of the valley settings are gorgeous. Oh, what conflicted emotions.

Thanks for commiserating with me. On a related note, those lilies of the valley settings are gorgeous. Oh, what conflicted emotions.

Yes, they are. The fact that they were purchased with illegal money doesn't remove the merit of the designers and skilled craftsmen. The taint is on the Marcos, not them. If I were a potential buyer, I would see the sales as returning money to the people, not as a memorial to the regime.

Currently, the daughter of Imelda is a Congressman in their hometown and the son is a senator running for the Vice Presidential race this coming May 2016 elections. He is very strong in the surveys.

Back