cashmere sweater

analilia

Not really pearl relative but just had to share this gorgeous cashmere/mink sweater from the 50's. It's so beautiful but i really don't think the pearls are real. They should have put freshwater pearls though for the price of the rest of the sweater! Were freshwater pearls very expensive in the 50's

0831141641d[1].jpg0831141641[1].jpg

Is the lining silk? I think my MIL had one similar, in black. Fake pearl buttons, rhinestone glitz and glam. What fun clothes...

I'll be happy to share a picture :) My daughter Isabelle will model it.

I'm not sure about the lining. It doesn't feel like silk but it is exquisite. Lined with a layer of lace as well.

I absolutely adore the style.

i found another sweater too, that is also beautiful, as well as 4 plain turtle neck sweaters. I'm such a lucky girl! :)

0831141851a~3[1].jpg0831141850d~2~2.jpg

0831141935a.jpg0831141937.jpg0831141827a~2.jpg0831141828b.jpg

wow those are huge pictures!

Thanks! That was fun!
what a beautiful child - they're all kinda gorgeous, aren't they?

Thanks! That was fun!
what a beautiful child - they're all kinda gorgeous, aren't they?

Thank you!!! Of course I think so :) The new (old) pearls would look great with the mink sweater. I will start planning the rest of the outfit, too, for the next special occasion.

Adorable. It's so nice that these belongings go on to be enjoyed. She would have liked that, I think. :)

Thank you for those pictures-- what a treat to see! Your daughter looks lovely in the sweaters. And I agree with GemGeek, I bet Kay (Kay?) would be pleased to know these special items are being enjoyed.

I love vintage cardigans like that - have had several :) I think freshwater pearls are more resent. I remember the first rice crispies i. The 80'ies. I don't think round FW made an apperance until the last decade or so (lucky us).

- Karin

Wow, I love those sweaters...the first with mink trim speaks Lauren Bacall...can't you just see her wearing that while sipping martinis with Bogie? It is so old hollywood glamorously fantastic. And your daughter is a superb model! The second sweater reminds me more of a Nancy Reagan (as first lady, not as movie star)...classy and elegant (even though I don't agree with her politics.)

I've been toying with the idea of embroidering a few (inexpensive) real freshwater pearls onto clothing, along with some silk ribbon embroidery ... hmmm ...

Y'all are the best! who would wander out of the virtual world when you could be right here in this one! would that all people were so sweet as this group!

Jersey pearl, i think you nailed it!!

What fun photos - I miss vintage treasure shopping so much, the finds are always surprising!! That first sweater is TOO CUTE. <3 :eek:

i want this sweater.........

i want this sweater.........

I want to make this with real FWP!

sweater.JPG

Hi Leda, are you going to replace the pearls, or knit a cashmere sweater like that one, and put pearls on it? Maybe 2yrs ago two posters here were doing such things, adidaem and Heidi.

(sorry :-s)

Last edited:
Hi Leda, are you going to replace the pearls, or knit a cashmere sweater like the one you're wearing and put pearls on it? Maybe 2yrs ago two posters here were doing such things, AdidaM and Heidi.
this is NOT me sorry forgot the photo credit (from Dylan and lex site) ...I just took the picture from pinterest... I was thinking of finding a vintage sweater that can be modified!!! It's been an idea....

Back