Chanel and Vogue Spring 2014 - Do or Don't?

AMc

McA
Browsing around today and found the new front pages of Vogue Italia, Harper's Bazaar UK and Vogue Australia- it seems like this might be the new thing for Spring 2014 by Chanel. What do you think of this humongous pearl look- would you wear it?
http://fashionista.com/2014/01/chanel-giant-pearls/
Giant Chanel Pearls.jpg

Here's another with Miley Cyrus at the Bambi Awards (she is a noted Chanel fanatic)

Miley Cyrus.jpg

Generally I like my pearls a bit edgy, but is this edging out over the abyss? :rolleyes: Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hate it! It's reminds me too much of the 80s and brings up those terrible power suits with big fat shoulder pads. I think it's an awful look.

Hate it! It's reminds me too much of the 80s and brings up those terrible power suits with big fat shoulder pads. I think it's an awful look.

it definitely has that 80's look, but these days the 80's are vintage and cool again. Obviously I prefer real pearls but anything "pearl" is good in my books.

Ugh ...vulgar ostentation. Bigger isn't necessarily better when it's so big. This reminds me of the pearls in 2 Broke Girls on CBS. I am so disappointed in Karl. :)

I saw some huge white imitation pearls at T J Maxx last week (not quite that large but still over the top.) Wilma Flintstone pearls!

Not for me, no.

I do love big pearls, but I hate this "look". No, thank you. I'll stick to souffles if I want big.

Lol, Octavia! :) Me neither, really. While I hope the trends this year are for bigger pearls are better, I don't think we need gargantuan pearls like this lol. Otoh, it certainly is intriguing...

This is definitely NOT a good look. I do like the design of Miley's necklace, but it would look soooooo much better on a smaller scale and with real pearls!

I don't quite want it, but I like the principle behind it somehow. It's stark and exaggerated, taking the pearls which are so definitive to Chanel and doing something new and loud with them. Especially in the case of the large and the smaller pearl together, looking like a little solar system diorama. I am entertained.

I think this little girl got the look right! But then I'm a sucker for cute little girls in oversized pearls- it just looks too cute ;)

Little Girl Huge Chanel pearls.jpg

And then I saw Emma Watson at the Golden Globes with her Asymmetrical Pearl Studs and thought- Wow. That's actually kinda cool...

Emma.jpg
Emma Watson.jpg

I really like Emma's Mise en Dior tribal earrings. There are some DIY instructions showing how to create the same look using plastic or resin pearls. The big pearls have drill holes large enough that one can glue rubber earring backs into the holes. Then the smaller pearls' posts are pushed through the ears and into the rubber earring backs.
http://apairandasparediy.com/2013/11/diy-dior-inspired-double-pearl-earrings.html
http://eclechick.com/diy-mise-en-dior-pearl-tribal-earrings/
http://hellowhimsy.blogspot.com/2013/11/tutorial-diy-mise-en-dior-stud-earrings.html

I feel that using this method is not very secure if you have genuine pearls just in case the larger pearls fall off. You can achieve almost the same effect having the larger pearls on chain and using the smaller pearls as earring jackets. Shorten the chain to make it closer to your ear lobes instead of letting it dangle. This works if the chain is not too long and the larger pearls are approx 12mm or larger.

Another option is to have the larger pearls on large eye pin. This gives you the flexibility of using the hoop earrings when you want to have them dangling and pushing the smaller pearls through the ears and the large eye pins if you want similar Dior's tribal look. Pictures from Pearl Paradise' pages. http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-346-eye-pin-large-14k-gold.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-313-huggie-diamond-pave-earrings-18k-white-gold.aspx

Attachments

• WSS dangles.jpg
    WSS dangles.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thank you for the links. Somehow, I'm not grooving to the look, personally.

I'd hate to lose a real pearl - good idea. :) I had a sweet pair of earrings on snap hoops just like the PP ones you linked to above. I had Jeremy put big white-gold eye pins on my last two loot pearls to wear on the hoops and somehow I lost one earring while traveling. I never replaced them because I would have to buy a new pair of earrings and a new set of pearls. They were incredibly beautiful. The good thing is the other four pearls were made into two sets of earrings for friends and they managed to keep theirs -- and -- I still have the bracelet with one bi-colored loot pearl on the dangle.

Maybe I am just less aware, because this has only been in the last five years that I have lost earrings. I allow myself one self-purchase each year I go to Tucson and the last three years, all earrings, I have lost one out of each set and they don't look good mismatched, unfortunately. And I lost a very fancy ring in an airport. I washed my hands and it came off with the paper towel - the first and only time I had that happen. I didn't dare take it off because I didn't want to lose it - HA! It had raised "wings", which would account for it pulling off, but I didn't even feel it go.

Okay, I didn't mean for this to be a tale of woe. I have so many beautiful pieces of jewelry that I can't be unhappy about missing a few, right? Maybe I need to do a project, utilizing the cast-offs? :)

I am very sorry to read this. Jewelry is so important to those of us on the forum and it is very painful to lose pieces. My children, when they were very young, flushed a glorious bracelet given to me by my mother for my wedding, given to her by her mother, down the toilet. Absolutely irreplaceable.

One negative about owning cherished pieces is the worry about loss and theft...

Yikes, that's awful. I would have immediately called the plumber...it is amazing what they can rescue. Jewelry is, well let's just say a lot heavier than other items that get flushed. Often it will sit in the lowest point of your waste line. I once dropped my wedding ring into the kitchen sink and it fell right inside the disposal unit. Had to have a plumber come out and take the thing apart. There was a very narrow opening at the top of the unit, and the ring had to fall perfectly horizontal to make that drop. If I had tried to do it, I couldn't....but dumb luck, oops and down it went. I told my husband I had the plumber come do "maintenance" on the garbage disposal unit.

Back