What will they think of next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will they think of next?

Well, we've all seen the stilletoes, the bikinis, the handbags and the dresses....all adorned with pearls.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen previous winners of the Tahitian Pearl Trophy but I was looking in some archives today and found a mobile phone, but this isn't any old mobile phone....

http://www.splendor.hu/html/Tahitive...004aloldal.htm

Sorry, it's in Hungarian but I'm sure the pictures speak for themselves.

Thought this might be a good thread to start about the weird and wonderful things you can do with pearls

Anyone have any additions?

That is a great idea. I would like to see a couple of different executions of the idea though- that one is a bit too clunky, but I love the idea of holding a little clam or oyster shaped phone in my hand....
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

And with mother of pearl buttons, don't forget about those.

Comment

I'd like to see an abalone shell version
        Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spanish-Colonial...QQcmdZViewItem
          This looks to be a highly unusual item.
          Caitlin

Comment

Hi Caitlin,

Nice, but who wants to have a baby Jesus cell phone? Particularly one made for an Inca (that would be Atahualpa) and having prior use as a Christmas tree ornament in a convent. Anyway, I don't think Atahualpa was known for his cell phone use or baby Jesus ornaments. If I am not mistaken, he was primarily known for having been deposed and killed and the Inca monarchy being destroyed by conquistadors during his reign.

Zeide

Comment

cam said:
              Thought this might be a good thread to start about the weird and wonderful things you can do with pearls

Anyone have any additions?
              But hey, maybe this is the baby Jesus anti-phone: as an old friend from the family dog once made into his logo, "May the baby Jesus shut my mouth and open my mind"
              Caitlin

Comment

Sorry Pearltime, that site is blocked in the UAE, but the address doesn't leave much to the imagination!

Zeide...I'm not sure the idea was to have a baby Jesus cell phone, or for this thread to be of different cell phones, in different shapes, made of pearls. The idea was simply to post interesting things that have been made of pearls.

Comment

Hi Camille,

In case you are not familiar with the practice, I was lampooning alleged nuns selling church property on eBay with questionable stories.

Zeide

Comment

Thanks for the description Karen!

Comment

This isn't bad.

Comment

Hi Pearltime,

The bracelet is just in time for the showing of Pirates of the Carribean, Dead Man's Chest.

I'll only wear it on holloween.

Comment

I like that bracelet, I'd wear it - although the color of those pearls is not my favorite.
                          Kevin Canning
                          Pearls Of Joy
                          www.PearlsOfJoy.com
                          Read My Blog
                          FaceBook Fan Page
                          1-800-451-1411

Comment

Hi Kevin
                            I think that bracelet would look great on you. I see you wearing it on a boat......

Though the pearls are not my favorite color either, I can see some men who are on the edge of wearing pearls, feeling a little more comfortable with that color. There seem to be a lot of pearls that shape and color hitting the market right now.
                            Here is a retail source and since I am advertising for them a sample picture:
                            http://www.dragon.org/getstuff/BigPearlsPromoGallery/
                            This store has some very edgy pearls.
                            Attached Files
                            Caitlin

Comment

Hi Caitlin,

It appears that at least one company is tuned particularly to my sensibilities: http://www.artisanduchocolat.com/Art...ookie%5Ftest=1

If they were to add champagne delivered with it, I'd be rather tempted to order, weather permitting.

Zeide
                              Last edited by Zeide Erskine; 07-31-2006, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X