Pearls and skulls?

Hi Cam and Karen
That is way too highpriced. But it basically rooks like yet another run at getting ridd of the tons and tons of fat oblong pearls. this year, it's brown- a misplaced color on pearls, I think.

This is a good necklace (except for the color!) to wear to the Spiral Dance in SF, or during the Day of the Dead in Tucson. People around here wear skulls on everything and anything can turn into a skeleton or skull- even candy- during that time of year in this neighborhood.

If it were black, I could see a Goth type - a very rich one- wearing it.

Besides the price, I'm not a huge fan of skulls or anything that symbolizes death. I feel pearls are a symbol of life so it's definitely an interesting mix.

It's kind of disturbing actually.

Actually, even in black it would not be appropriate Goth. Goth is an evolution of punk and most of the gothic subculture consider it and artistic expression. Without getting to deep into the ideals of the Goth subculture, their dress/fashion is usually based on lace and frills, leather, PVC, fishnet and chains with influences from Medieval, Renaissance, Scottish, Edwardian, Victorian and Celtic.

I just can not see a market for this one...

You are right about your description of goth style-
There are so many subvarients- which is why I said "type"
Regardless, none of whom would ever go for brown...... I was reallly reaching for an audience for the skull strand, wasn't I?......

My daughter has a gothy streak, but goes outside those boundaries a lot- no attempt to be a purist, just to be unique and outre'. She is admired in her circles for her endless creativity with her clothes.

She has been requesting a dog collar in black cfwp- 5 strands of 5mm like those ones being offered by Jeremy et al online Xmas of 2004- made in China- but those were white pearls on memory wire........

Know of any in black?

This is my second request for this color and style on this forum. Anyone in China reading this forum?

Last edited:
Caitlin,

Just remind someone the next time they are headed to Zhuji to pick one up for you. There are low-end pieces of that style all over Shanxiahu - in both white and black. It may be difficult to find them in a nice quality. We used to have them custom made with the quality we wanted. I stopped doing that quite a while ago, however.

Thanks Jeremy-
I figured they would be low end, but they are so low end, no one here even sells them-that I have found so far, anyway.
I would make one with a clasp. I think it would have more beads on lower strands to fit the neck properly, but I haven't yet found a pattern, so a personal fitting is the other option.

Hi All !

Skulls and pearls occupy very important place in the history of painting as still life, representing vanity.
"VANITAS VANITATUM OMNIA VANITAS"

As to those mixed necklaces, why not? I'm sure there is a place for them too.......

Hi nlerner.
Thanks for that tidbit. It was great.

It seems there is more skull jewelry around this year, maybe it is the movie.

Good research, Karen

Hey! The bottom two specifically claim to be Gothic......the third one down has a skull with chains dripping from its eyesockets..........how gothy is that?

And yes, do not forget the Tibetan thing with skulls. They seem more serious than the Mexicans in the way they use skull images.

Thanks for pointing me this way, for Day of the Dead decorations.......look on eBay.

Hi Caitlyn,

Yes it does look like someone is trying to cash in on "THAT" Movie I personally think its all tacky and U-G-L-Y from the colors to the wannabe theme! IMO

I know someone who made a skull bone Rosary.. (without the pearls)...

The last two necklaces on the list Goth????? Ewe..... When I went through that phase.. Oh wait nevermind....;)

I don't mind the skull and pearl mix at all, on the right person its a good edgy look. I don't think it has anything to do with Pirates of the Caribbean though, as skulls have been back in fashion for a number of years now and in some circles they never left.

amazing what we "see" or "think we see" when movies are insanely popular...

Ash

It's true that skulls have been around for a while...

However...

It certainly doesn't hurt when a bunch of the attendee's of the highly publicized movie premier show up wearing skull jewelry...

...and then there's Mischa Barton (...little brat!)

-Peter Ciulla

The mikimoto store in NY has a line of about 5-6 pieces all with a combination of skulls, tahitian and south sea pearls - I almost bought a pendant myself until I saw the price tag :confused:

Just wondering if Queen Elizabeth I, woudl have ever worn pearl and skills in her jewelry. Bothe wereimensely popular. Incidentally, when we did our Dempo for that famoud now franchise of pirate movies.. I did wear my Glow in the dark skull bandanna with my pearl jewelry... noone noticed... I need to stop wering pearls for a while... LOL....

I think she might have... with skulls fairly popular in anything including (memento mori) jewelry. Examples of Elizabethan jewelry with skulls are somewhat available - some famous, like the Tor Abbey Jewel... Any with important pearls would be a feat though, because of the pearl recycling. Maybe in a painting?

I know there existed some skill roraries, rings, pendants and a coffin with a full skeleton in it.. I think teh Cheapside hoard find may have even had a few pieces in it..but that was "middle/lower" class jewelry...

Back