Freshwater rope necklace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater rope necklace

So I've just finished a 54" - 7-8mm AAA freshwater rope(picture below) and I'm curious to hear member's opinions. I'd like to hear if members prefer this type of necklace with a clasp or do you prefer the infinity style, also what lengths of ropes you would like to see?

Any input on what you like or don't like about ropes would be great to hear.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Freshwater Pearl Rope

Kevin,

I do like this necklace very much indeed! Most preferrably I would have either basket clasps for versatility or Mystery clasps, anyway there should be some kind of clasp, not infinity for me, as a clasp is much more elegant and usuable, even with a rope-length!

For myself I would like a length of 55" or perhaps up to 60". It is lovely!

Inge Jernberg

Comment

Well, different opinion here.

I like the infinity look, especally on ropes.

Actually, in a perfect world, I think clasps on all pearl necklaces should be either invisible or be beautiful little pieces of jewelry unto themselves...

Bogus

Comment

Kevin,
        I like it very much. I love ropes; the ability to change lengths is fun and makes for a versatile piece. Anywhere from 51" - 60" is great. A clasp of some sort would make it much more practical, especially when creating a triple strand. Having different clasp design choices would also be nice.

youngster

Comment

HI:

Ah, ropes of pearls are quite "au current", I recently saw two strands in these lengths--one pink and one white. Could have had both! Notwithstanding it is a recurrent style; as my sister had had a 60 inch strand of Akoya's for 25 years......and of course there is Coco Chanel's style for reference.....

Moreover, the strands I saw did not have a clasp of any sort; however its utility is entirely debatable.

The one drawback I see with increasing lengths of this type of pearls is their weight--they were rather "heavy".

cheers--Sharon

Comment

Mastaloni had a rope of Tahitians on display at JCK last week. I thought it was the most amazing strands I had seen and immediately decided to start making them after our next large influx of loose.

The strand was 11-13mm, and I think 72 inches. The center was knotted. They were asking $75,000 wholesale. The pearls had some light blemishing, but very good color.
            Jeremy Shepherd
            President and Founder
            PearlParadise.com, Inc.
            The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
            PearlParadise.com on Flickr
            PearlParadise.com on Facebook
            Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

definitely rope necklaces are on their way back, in fact I'm starting a 97" rope this morning for a customer. So I will be carrying this length of rope in the near future but I think I might also carry something close to the 100" mark also.

I do like the look of the infinity type strands, but on a shorter rope I think the clasp is essential if you want to wrap the necklace multiple times.

A 72" rope of Tahitians, now that is pure luxury - I sure hope we can see a picture of that strand when it is finished?
              Kevin Canning
              Pearls Of Joy
              www.PearlsOfJoy.com
              Read My Blog
              FaceBook Fan Page
              1-800-451-1411

Comment

Hi
                I have been selling 40" ropes like crazy for over 6 months. I call the style I make, the "Guruji" because it looks like one Sri Sri Ravi Shankar wears- his looks like alternating pearls and rubies- It may be plastic beads though. (hohoho).

And so many of his followers wear 36-40" beads that I decided to make some up right before Xmas and they have been very remarked on and sought after by all who see and feel them (They have heft). I have only 3 left. One in size 8 silver CFW grade A+ pearls alternating with crystal quartz nuggets and 2 in 10-11mm black dyed CFWP B+, alternating with 5mm black dyed CFW nuggets. $120- per......

Now don't try to buy from me! I am just telling you what I charged. I will take a picture if anyone wants though......I do sell one to one locally, at wholesale prices. I charge stores the same as people. I put 35 strands in a store in Sedona and they sold them for double or triple my price!! (They put them up at triple, then gave 33% off- I dislike that, personally, but they were no longer mine to dictate)

If I thought you sellers were interested in my opinion, I could have told you how hot these were months ago, but I am just a lowly beader ....... and in my very first post here- a seller- no longer here -told me my quest for ropes was out of style and too Old Fashioned, so that shut me up properly you can bet. I am just a customer saying what I want and I get told I ask amiss!

So sellers, be careful you do not criticise the opinions you solicit here!
                Last edited by Caitlin; 06-17-2006, 02:47 PM.
                Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

well first off no member here should ever reserve their posts because they think one member might disagree. This is a big community and it is impossible for all of us to agree on any one point and useless to try.

And for your opinions Caitlin - keep em coming! Since I've put ropes back on my radar I have been seeing them everywhere, which is what prompted me to start carrying them online.

I have plans to carry a 54" and I'm making a 97" that I will probably carry also, any other lengths I should be thinking of?
                  Kevin Canning
                  Pearls Of Joy
                  www.PearlsOfJoy.com
                  Read My Blog
                  FaceBook Fan Page
                  1-800-451-1411

Comment

Would you show us a photo Caitlin?

Thanks, Karen

Comment

Nobody here considers you a lowly beader, Caitlin. You are one of the most humble (yet opionated ) pearl experts on this forum. Yes, and you do deserve the title!
                      Jeremy Shepherd
                      President and Founder
                      PearlParadise.com, Inc.
                      The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
                      PearlParadise.com on Flickr
                      PearlParadise.com on Facebook
                      Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

I fully support Bogus.
                        Originally posted by Bogus
                        I think clasps on all pearl necklaces should be either invisible or be beautiful little pieces of jewelry unto themselves...

Bogus
                        so one could play with it, change places or hide it.

I do not like the one on the photo, it disturbs the continuity.
                        Last edited by Nora; 06-17-2006, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Hi All
                          Sorry if I came off as whiny or preachy. My old age just gets my finger shaking every now and then. As I said before, the seller who thought ropes of pearls were "old fashioned" doesn't post any more, but I had no idea who was who back then. As you see, I stuck around for other reasons.....

I think necklaces with swags are going to be the next big thing; I've seen a lot of swags on chain style necklaces lately. Swags with little delicately carved flowers, birds or other small objects, bugs, frogs.... By the time you claim it is "old fashioned", it is already avant guarde.

As far as "lowly beader" goes, here is a picture to prove it. Unlike you fine jewelry folks, my ropes are made of low class pearls! Actually, the "A" pearls aren't that bad, but thery really don't make the grade for most sellers here.
                          Attached Files
                          Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Comment

I just have to add that the other pearls you can see in the picture are also ropes. They are the collection of pearls that friends gave to me when they heard of my pearl mania. In every case, they are faux and the owner thought they were "cultured"! I sent them back ropes of bead quality CFWP ropes.

Here is a closeup of the necklaces. These are not the pearls you'd get from any seller here! I happen to like potato-y pearls with rough skins and a rope like this is very inexpensive compared to AAA or even AA pearls.

Hey if you let me show my styles here, what's next, aypearl? (that's an "in" joke for the other moderators)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Caitlin; 06-18-2006, 03:59 PM.
                            Caitlin

Comment

Thank you Karen!

Actually I love that style of alternating big pearl, little pearl (or other stone). It has a rhythm to it, and with the oddness of the roundish shapes, it adds sub-rhythms, like a syncopation of a visual kind.

I have been experimenting with alternating pearls with many different things for over a year. It is a design idea capable of infinite variation. Another of my favorite variations on this idea is alternating 9mm high luster button pearls and 9mm peridot faceted roundels. Maybe if we start another section for costume and commercial grade pearl jewelry made by the poster, I'd really have a place to describe and put pictures up..... I think that is unlikely.....

Here is a swag style necklace: from England.
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/STUNNING-PEARL-V...QQcmdZViewItem
                              This one illustrates the idea of swags, with dropped loops of pearls off the collier. While I do not like this particular one, as essembled, it has several Edwardian ideas I do like, the swags, the drop pearl in the center, the idea of a dog collar style . This one is on chains of some sort. I think the chains need to be more delicate. I would prefer a different approach in the collier itself as well.

I just had to add, that I think the Edwardian style or borrowed elements of it, is very appropriate for weddings, for romance, honeymoons, summer evenings. While the full on Edwardian style is very formal, borrowing an element such as the delicacy of the platinum diamond and pearl jewelry and the use of swags makes it a perennial favorite for inspiration.
                              Last edited by Caitlin; 06-18-2006, 04:43 PM.
                              Caitlin

Comment

Working...
                              X