Freshwater rope necklace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I love ropes, Unfortunately I recently lost mine after one of our events! I had 1 72" white and 3-54-58", in Black, Pink and Gold FWP... I love how wonderfully diverse the strands can be!! Miss Mine and hope to replace them soon! Wear my ropes with everything, from my garb to church, and to the movies with a simple sweater and Jeans! Love them!

Caitlyn,
    I love your pics! those are very reminiscent of Tudor and Elizabethan Styles!!! Great Job!!!!!

Cheers
    Ash

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Canning
    replied
    someone had mentioned that they didn't like the white gold ball clasp that I used for this strand, I'm curious to hear what style of clasp would be an improvement?

Leave a comment:

• Caitlin
    replied
    Hi Perlas
    Yes I did mention that. Yes I do have some, but they aren't ropes so whatever thin excuse I had for posting pix of my low quality ropes won't hold for those. I'll start a new thread, I've kidnapped this one far enough.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Caitlin,

If I'm not mistaken, you wrote earlier in this forum that you also alternate some semi-precious stones like rose quartz and amethyst in pearls. Do you have a picture of those? I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Caitlin
    replied
    Thank you Karen!

Actually I love that style of alternating big pearl, little pearl (or other stone). It has a rhythm to it, and with the oddness of the roundish shapes, it adds sub-rhythms, like a syncopation of a visual kind.

I have been experimenting with alternating pearls with many different things for over a year. It is a design idea capable of infinite variation. Another of my favorite variations on this idea is alternating 9mm high luster button pearls and 9mm peridot faceted roundels. Maybe if we start another section for costume and commercial grade pearl jewelry made by the poster, I'd really have a place to describe and put pictures up..... I think that is unlikely.....

Here is a swag style necklace: from England.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/STUNNING-PEARL-V...QQcmdZViewItem
    This one illustrates the idea of swags, with dropped loops of pearls off the collier. While I do not like this particular one, as essembled, it has several Edwardian ideas I do like, the swags, the drop pearl in the center, the idea of a dog collar style . This one is on chains of some sort. I think the chains need to be more delicate. I would prefer a different approach in the collier itself as well.

I just had to add, that I think the Edwardian style or borrowed elements of it, is very appropriate for weddings, for romance, honeymoons, summer evenings. While the full on Edwardian style is very formal, borrowing an element such as the delicacy of the platinum diamond and pearl jewelry and the use of swags makes it a perennial favorite for inspiration.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 06-18-2006, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Caitlin
    replied
    I just have to add that the other pearls you can see in the picture are also ropes. They are the collection of pearls that friends gave to me when they heard of my pearl mania. In every case, they are faux and the owner thought they were "cultured"! I sent them back ropes of bead quality CFWP ropes.

Here is a closeup of the necklaces. These are not the pearls you'd get from any seller here! I happen to like potato-y pearls with rough skins and a rope like this is very inexpensive compared to AAA or even AA pearls.

Hey if you let me show my styles here, what's next, aypearl? (that's an "in" joke for the other moderators)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Caitlin; 06-18-2006, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Caitlin
    replied
    Hi All
    Sorry if I came off as whiny or preachy. My old age just gets my finger shaking every now and then. As I said before, the seller who thought ropes of pearls were "old fashioned" doesn't post any more, but I had no idea who was who back then. As you see, I stuck around for other reasons.....

I think necklaces with swags are going to be the next big thing; I've seen a lot of swags on chain style necklaces lately. Swags with little delicately carved flowers, birds or other small objects, bugs, frogs.... By the time you claim it is "old fashioned", it is already avant guarde.

As far as "lowly beader" goes, here is a picture to prove it. Unlike you fine jewelry folks, my ropes are made of low class pearls! Actually, the "A" pearls aren't that bad, but thery really don't make the grade for most sellers here.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I fully support Bogus.
    Originally posted by Bogus
    I think clasps on all pearl necklaces should be either invisible or be beautiful little pieces of jewelry unto themselves...

Bogus
    so one could play with it, change places or hide it.

I do not like the one on the photo, it disturbs the continuity.
    Last edited by Nora; 06-17-2006, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jshepherd
    replied
    Nobody here considers you a lowly beader, Caitlin. You are one of the most humble (yet opionated ) pearl experts on this forum. Yes, and you do deserve the title!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Would you show us a photo Caitlin?

Thanks, Karen

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Canning
    replied
    well first off no member here should ever reserve their posts because they think one member might disagree. This is a big community and it is impossible for all of us to agree on any one point and useless to try.

And for your opinions Caitlin - keep em coming! Since I've put ropes back on my radar I have been seeing them everywhere, which is what prompted me to start carrying them online.

I have plans to carry a 54" and I'm making a 97" that I will probably carry also, any other lengths I should be thinking of?

Leave a comment:

• Caitlin
    replied
    Hi
    I have been selling 40" ropes like crazy for over 6 months. I call the style I make, the "Guruji" because it looks like one Sri Sri Ravi Shankar wears- his looks like alternating pearls and rubies- It may be plastic beads though. (hohoho).

And so many of his followers wear 36-40" beads that I decided to make some up right before Xmas and they have been very remarked on and sought after by all who see and feel them (They have heft). I have only 3 left. One in size 8 silver CFW grade A+ pearls alternating with crystal quartz nuggets and 2 in 10-11mm black dyed CFWP B+, alternating with 5mm black dyed CFW nuggets. $120- per......

Now don't try to buy from me! I am just telling you what I charged. I will take a picture if anyone wants though......I do sell one to one locally, at wholesale prices. I charge stores the same as people. I put 35 strands in a store in Sedona and they sold them for double or triple my price!! (They put them up at triple, then gave 33% off- I dislike that, personally, but they were no longer mine to dictate)

If I thought you sellers were interested in my opinion, I could have told you how hot these were months ago, but I am just a lowly beader ....... and in my very first post here- a seller- no longer here -told me my quest for ropes was out of style and too Old Fashioned, so that shut me up properly you can bet. I am just a customer saying what I want and I get told I ask amiss!

So sellers, be careful you do not criticise the opinions you solicit here!
    Last edited by Caitlin; 06-17-2006, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Canning
    replied
    definitely rope necklaces are on their way back, in fact I'm starting a 97" rope this morning for a customer. So I will be carrying this length of rope in the near future but I think I might also carry something close to the 100" mark also.

I do like the look of the infinity type strands, but on a shorter rope I think the clasp is essential if you want to wrap the necklace multiple times.

A 72" rope of Tahitians, now that is pure luxury - I sure hope we can see a picture of that strand when it is finished?

Leave a comment:

• jshepherd
    replied
    Mastaloni had a rope of Tahitians on display at JCK last week. I thought it was the most amazing strands I had seen and immediately decided to start making them after our next large influx of loose.

The strand was 11-13mm, and I think 72 inches. The center was knotted. They were asking $75,000 wholesale. The pearls had some light blemishing, but very good color.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    HI:

Ah, ropes of pearls are quite "au current", I recently saw two strands in these lengths--one pink and one white. Could have had both! Notwithstanding it is a recurrent style; as my sister had had a 60 inch strand of Akoya's for 25 years......and of course there is Coco Chanel's style for reference.....

Moreover, the strands I saw did not have a clasp of any sort; however its utility is entirely debatable.

The one drawback I see with increasing lengths of this type of pearls is their weight--they were rather "heavy".

cheers--Sharon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X