New Fashion & Style Forum

knotty panda said:
Does this appeal to anyone? It's a carved pearl with an embedded diamond.

Hi Knotty,

it is very sophisticated and yes, I do like it very much!

While the carving in the pearl is well done I really think pearls aren't meant to be carved like that. I mean, if they do do such a carving I can't imagine them doing it on a pearl that had exceptional luster or anything really remarkable about it. The attraction is definitely made for the diamond in the center.

Mandy said:
While the carving in the pearl ...The attraction is definitely made for the diamond in the center.

Yeah... could only imagine a version meant to flatter the pearl instead, with the carved or faceted base out of a rock of befitting color.

Even in that picture, I wouldn't have guessed the base was a carved pearl unless told. You could tell me it is lapis or low grade sapphire just the same. And that could accomodate a small pearl with a story. Perhaps one like THIS, perhaps.

Now, the idea is not new, I just can't say to have seen allot of great examples, especially some using pearls worthy of being showcased on their own. ;)

E.G - THIS ONE: nice idea and example of modern jade carving, but measly pearl :eek:

carv_pen1.jpg

And an attempt to go one better along this line (IMO), from Freeform:

k06.jpg

Do you know of other of the like ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mandy said:
While the carving in the pearl is well done I really think pearls aren't meant to be carved like that. I mean, if they do do such a carving I can't imagine them doing it on a pearl that had exceptional luster or anything really remarkable about it. The attraction is definitely made for the diamond in the center.

Hello
I just get a carved pearl
It is called marquisian pearl, coming from Tahiti where it is made according to a traditional pattern
A perfectly round pearl is necessary, but not an exceptional luster is required due to carving purpose.

Attachments

• marquis_450.jpg
    marquis_450.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 67
  • marquisian-pearl.jpg
    marquisian-pearl.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 46
  • P1020390.JPG
    P1020390.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 48
I think this is the carved shell,
But the other picture looked like a pearl cut in half.

I cut a few freshwater pearls in half because I wanted to see how they looked like inside when they were dyed, if the dye went all the way through, if they had beads inside and so forth.
Most dyed freshwater pearls look like the carved pearl with a diamond inside, but once you cut it in half, all the layers become brittle and the whole thing falls apart layer after layer...

So I just came across these pieces on www.jewellerynetasia.com on a thread titled "Multi-functional Jewellery: a New Day Twist". I love when a piece is multifunctional and these are some beautiful examples of multifunctional jewelry. What do you think?
NewJH6.jpg
[/IMG]
NewJH5.jpg
[/IMG]

This must have been such a time consuming piece to create You have to appriciate that attention to detail. (The creator is J?rg Heinz)

NewJH2.jpg

NewJH1.jpg

http://www.jewellerynetasia.com/en/IndustryNews/4509/Multi_functional_Jewellery_a_New_Day_Twist.html

I saw these clasps in person at our Jewellers' Association of Australia fair last year - they are very very striking... I loved them, bit out of my price league though either for personal use or to incorporate in my range.

FYI Mr.Tasaki (founder of Tasaki Pearl) has passed away from what I understand. May he rest in peace.

Too funny, Nora! ;););)

Can't believe I didn't see that myself...

- Karin

Bad Girls, Bad Girls,
Watcha gonna do
When pearly giggles
go naughty on you? :confused::confused: ! :eek: ! :eek:;);):)

Last edited:
I said tell me what you think....Not tell me what you really think.... j/k but yea hmmm:confused:

I said tell me what you think....Not tell me what you really think.... j/k but yea hmmm:confused:
If I told you what I really, really think, they would never let me post on this forum again;)

Nora, You are so funny!!!

Good catch Pattye. You sort of saved it for me, once I get over the shock of looking at it through Nora's eyes. ;)

Personally, I would rather get a simple clasp or Cliclasp and put the $$$ saved into higher quality pearls, or more pearls.

I think the baroque clasps are a cute idea. I'd like to see a multicolored gold clasp to go with a strand of souffle pearls.

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the rose gold in them. I swear, I think I see pink gold coming back to stay....

Last edited:
I saw these on Etsy (sorry, I'll have to find the vendor, just saved the photos). I really like this look myself. She's using waxed linen. Not crazy about the pearls, but think it would look nice if executed a bit differently (a different variety of pearls, no wires etc.)
linen and pearls2.jpglinen and pearls1.jpg

I LOVE the pearls!

This was a fabulous thread to resurrect; love zara scoville section all over again!

Back