New Fashion & Style Forum

Hello,
I've just discovered this forum and haven't posted until now - too busy reading all the great info. on here.
Anyway, what I'm after is some kind of clasp / clip thingy to wear on a long rope of pearls, at the front, to grab the two sides together.
It would make an attractive alternative to knotting the necklace when wearing at a shorter length, and ring the changes.
Sort of a brooch, but, instead of a pin on the back, it would have a hinged, curved bar that locks into place around / between the pearls.
I don't suppose I've made any sense, but hello to everyone, anyway.

Hi Sueki
I think those are called pearl shorteners. I have a few, but no photos and I am in too big a hurry right now to take a photo. If someone else does not come along, I'll get back to it later.

Hello Sueki

Sueki said:
Hello,
I've just discovered this forum and haven't posted until now - too busy reading all the great info. on here.
Anyway, what I'm after is some kind of clasp / clip thingy to wear on a long rope of pearls, at the front, to grab the two sides together.
It would make an attractive alternative to knotting the necklace when wearing at a shorter length, and ring the changes.
Sort of a brooch, but, instead of a pin on the back, it would have a hinged, curved bar that locks into place around / between the pearls.
I don't suppose I've made any sense, but hello to everyone, anyway.

Why not to try having 2 necklaces that can be worn both short when individally closed by their clasp and joined together by their clasps when worn as a rope ? see pic in a sotheby's catalogue.
hope it helps! good luck.

Attachments

• S-C-2-chokers-1rope.jpg
    S-C-2-chokers-1rope.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 53
Hello Caitlin,
Wow ! You were both quick off the mark !
Thanks, Cliclasp - I have looked at your clasps and they and the web-site are great.
The two necklaces joined together is a lovely idea and one to remember.
But not what I had in mind. I like to change the look of the 36" rope by knotting it, wearing loose, doubled up etc.
And I sometimes use a split ring to just clinch it together above the bust-line and have a loop hanging below.
I then fix a brooch to the front.
But it would be good to have a custom-made thing to do the job instead of my pathetic home-made attempt.
Thanks for your replies, and have a great weekend.

Hi Sueki,

In some of the jewelry catalogs awhile back I noticed "pearl shorteners" which are rather like a gold safety pin, but not sharp, of course. The size you would need would depend on the size of your pearls on the strand. I don't think it would be too hard to even have one custom made in 18k - 22k, not sure if you are thinking plain or decorative. Probably you want to be careful not to scratch the pearls. Just a thought---

Pattye
So many pearls, so little time

Just found a pearl shortener on ebay, comes with a necklace of course, but shows the construction very well in the photos if one scrolls down item 320083828390

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Pattye,
Thank you !
That is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.
Now I just need to find one similar for sale without the pearls.
Nothing against the pearls, but I already have the necklaces...
Thanks again - at least I now know what to search for.
Susan.

Hi Sueki,

Donno where you are, but have you tried a Google search? I can sometimes find some resources that way. Also if you have a relationship with a jeweler locally, they might be able to special order something for you.

Good luck and let us know what you find. I love my pearl ropes and the versatility of them!

Pattye

So many pearls, so little time

Hello Pattye,
Thanks for the tip - am googling as I type.
I do have a relationship with a working jeweller, so will ask him next time I see him.
I'm in London, U.K. by the way. You'd think it would be easy to find what I'm looking for here...

Hello Caitlin,
Many thanks - I've saved a few and hopefully will be buying a couple.
Clever you - I hadn't known about google images.
Thanks to all of you from a real techno idiot.

Fall 2007 Fashion

Fall 2007 Fashion

Hi all,

Although I've been a member of this forum for a few years, it's fairly recent that I started posting (though I feel like I know so many of you "regulars" from reading all that you've written). I love the idea of the whole Fashion and Style section of this forum, and I think so much information and many interesting ideas can be exchanged here.

That being said, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. Like many women, it's with a bit of an obsession that I keep up with new and upcoming fashion trends. In doing so, I've noticed a lot of 1940s influence for Fall 2007 designs (along with medieval, 1970s, punk, masculine, and futurism :confused: :eek: ). I'm trying to get a handle on what types of jewelry people were wearing in the 1940s and having a hard time with it. All I'm finding is flower lapel pins and some lucite pieces on ebay. Is anyone able to describe the materials being used or post images of jewelry from the 1940s?

Thanks!

Ann:)

In the 40s "semi precious" gems were in, citine amethyst aquamarine, emerald cuts. I'm pretty sure it's because diamonds were being used in machinery during the war. Big and bold designs were popular. Lots of cocktail rings. I've noticed many of the wedding photos I've seen from that era the women are wearing suits instead of dresses.

The 1940s saw the rise of rose gold as platinum (very popular in the 20s & 30s) and it's less pricey alternative white-gold became scarce as they or their components went into the war effort (platinum is in catalytic convertors, which is why they are so darn expensive to replace, and if you read this a minute ago it said carborators, which was wrong). Cocktail rings with large, semi-precous stones became the thing to have. Very often the metal work is hollow to use as little of it as possible in a conservation effort.

In costume jewelry, which also saw a rise since the depression put a cramp in gem buying and then the war, was often made up of base metals and leftover faux stones from generations past (Rhinestones were made in Europe so they had to use what was left around. Often 40s jewelry was called "retro" for this reason because it was forced to draw on the past.

It was also IMO, the last decade before pre-fab ruined a lot of the old artistry.

Last edited:
Check out these pearl styles: Priceless Imperfection

Check out these pearl styles: Priceless Imperfection

Found this site looking for current-looking pearls; I don't know Zara Scoville, but really like her work.

http://www.pricelessimperfection.com/

Difficult to find pearl jewellery that is well made but not formal. What do you think of this?

hey Kathleen,

Very organic bohemian looking jewelry, its definitely not suited for mass consumption but very interesting pieces. I think I would need to see the pieces on a model to make up mind though.

"The 1940s saw the rise of rose gold as platinum (very popular in the 20s & 30s) and it's less pricey alternative white-gold became scarce as they or their components went into the war effort"

"Cocktail rings with large, semi-precous stones became the thing to have."

Thanks for the great information. Where did you find all that? I'm starting to see where the 40s influence comes in with what we'll be seeing for fall. Hammered metals, pink gold, pave diamonds, chalcedony and crystals are supposed to be big this fall. And bold semi-precious stones.

Hi Kathleen,

The piece that is featured on the home page is really pretty and looks like it would be very versatile. It looks like some of the one-of-a-kind pieces I've sold in the past. I think it would look a bit less chunky (bohemian?) with some rose or cherry quartz or other gemstones and/or some clear faceted swarovski crystals. Very nice though, and it would probably look beautiful on.

Kathleen Conway said:
Difficult to find pearl jewellery that is well made but not formal.

Right that :eek:

I am not sure the pieces (or just the images?) on the website are as very exciting as the concept behind them. But with no hope to see any up-close... what ca I say... The wire work on some (e.g, the Ni'hau necklace) reminds me of old fashioned barbed wire: do you think it is supposed to? That would really be a statement... of something... but of what ? Afraid to take that idea further. ;)

This could also be a matter of personal style and preference: ifor example, it so happens that my favorite pearl composition in the style (i.e. leisurely, 'irreverent' mix, with a story and an idea behind to enjoy along with the pearls) is not too far: THIS. A designer to watch too, IMO. [To whom it may concern: sorry to speaking my mind a tad too loud]

More established ones? Paola Ferro and Donatella Pellini have some very exciting pearls... There should be many, many more, with such a versatile material.

PS. Now that I am thinking... Guild.COM may hold a couple of useful addresses for casual pearls.

Kathleen Conway said:
Difficult to find pearl jewellery that is well made but not formal. What do you think of this?

I also wanted to add that in my experience, the combination of sterling silver with baroques, stick pearls, coin pearls, rice pearls, etc., while inviting in price, can sometimes result in a low-end looking piece. The materials used are as important as how well a piece is put together (i.e. the wiring, etc).

Does this appeal to anyone? It's a carved pearl with an embedded diamond.

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Back