Do real men wear pearls?

KAC

Guys, This Pearl Jewelry Is for You

OB-QR094_pearl0_G_20111121022525.jpg

Simon Greatwich, Anton del Rosario and Emilio Caligdong, who play for Philippines soccer team the Azkals, model Jewelmer necklaces.

Do real men wear pearls?

Jewelmer International, a French-Filipino jewelry company, hopes to convince consumers that the answer is yes. The rare golden Palawan South Sea pearls it sells are plenty cool for tough guys ? and it launched a new men?s line last year to prove it, employing actor Piolo Pascual for the ad campaign.

?It is true today that the majority of pearl-wearers are women,? says Mia Macapagal, Jewelmer?s marketing manager. But when worn the right way, she adds, ?men can also use pearls to add a subtle touch of elegance.?

In the past, men sought pearls for their symbolic power and value. Whether to wear them now has stirred up some debate among Filipino men. For the fans ? and there are some ? design, rather than power, is the selling point.
OB-QR096_pearl0_G_20111121022925.jpg

?The stereotypical image that people think of when you mention pearls is that long necklace that goes perfectly with a woman?s flowing white dress,? says Vincent Golangco, a local TV personality and editor in chief of WheninManila.com. ?In today?s new age though, the designs and styles of the pearls are very different and unique. I have a single pearl type of necklace that looks great with my jeans and T-shirt.?

He also likes what pearls represent, he says. ?It?s something organic, made by Mother Nature herself. Wearing a pearl shows my support for our oceans and that I want to find ways to protect and save them.?

T.J. Manotoc, an anchor at local network ANC News, says he, too, thinks guys can wear pearls. ?It is interesting because we are known as the Pearl of the Orient and it is one of our major export products. It would be a nice touch for men to be open to wearing pearls.?

?It is just a matter of how it is designed,? he adds. ?If it carries a statement that I am a Filipino, and I am wearing one of our natural resources that we are proud of, why not??

Presidential spokesman Ricky Carandang thinks otherwise. ?I?m conservative,? he says. ?I?ve never worn them myself. Whoever wants to wear them, that?s great. Traditionally, wearing pearls for men is being viewed as feminine, but I understand men are beginning to do that. That?s good for them.?

For all the guys who are willing to go pearl, Jewelmer offers single pearls on leather necklaces that retail for about $2,500, as well as single-pearl stud earrings, pearl cufflinks and pearl tie pins. Recently, it even enlisted the Philippines national football team to promote wearing golden pearls. Emilio ?Chiefy? Caligdong, Anton del Rosario and Simon Greatwich posed in Jewelmer necklaces.

?At first they were a bit hesitant about it,? Ms. Macapagal says, ?but now that they have it, they don?t seem to want to take it off.?

So what about the bottom line: Are customers responding? Ms. Macapagal demurs. ?It is still a modest portion of our sales, but sales have been very steady,? she says.

Old news for us here on PG, I've personally been wearing pearls for years.

as well as single-pearl stud earrings,
Now this I don't see catching on, but who knows....

I wish. I hate bling on a man but a pearl or two. oh yes.
The trouble is that here in the UK if you suggest that to most men they go white and run from the room!

Solitaire pendants, mabe rings, cuff links and tie clips are typically male appropriate.

I don't wear rings or pendants, mainly for safety reasons or fear of them going "over the side".

Folk's guy's wear pearls, full stop.
"Real men" as a macho term associated with soccer is pretty odd-ball.
When you have a game in which the Men trip over and cry in the hope of a penalty, leave the macho terms out, please.
Soccers a good game, but lets keep it in perspective.
I wear pearls. Now that I'm very happyly married to a beautiful woman, I don't care what "type" of man I'm perseived to be.
So all you butch-o dudes, remember to wash your pearl when you take it off.

Rusty

I think it's important to start teaching "real men" to wear pearls when they are REALLY CUTE LITTLE BOYS!

Attachments

• Cleveland, out of focus, but too sleepy-cute to resist!
    Cleveland, out of focus, but too sleepy-cute to resist!
    42.5 KB · Views: 46
Awe.. Sarah that Photo is really adorable!! The pearl and those curls!! I second the [Like] from Caitlin's post!!!

Men and Pearls can be very sexy. IMHO

Cheers

Ash

oh my gosh sarah! hes ADORABLE! i never thought of giving pearls to my friend's sons! (no kids of my own - i LOOOOOVE my best friend's kids!)

well i bought a carved tahitian off of sarah a few weeks back for my boyfriend! i still have to get him a black cord so he can wear it - we'll see if he goes through with it...... he's one of these "phobia" types about jewelry! oh sarah, forgot to say, the carving is just exquisite on it! the detail is lovely!

-j-
Deep in the outback100 0643100 0648

Mauskateer,

Your carving is so beautiful! I am sure your man will wear this beauty!

Cheers

Ash

Mauskateer,

Your carving is so beautiful! I am sure your man will wear this beauty!

Cheers

Ash

I second that, if he doesn't want it I'm sure you can find a good home for it here ;)

Found a short video done by WSJ MarketWatch that goes with the story.
Click For Video

They have made a great job in arguing. Changing mind is a long way.
As of pearl for men, I prefer wearing some as bracelet, just got some of mine in french newspaper ...

I noticed men prefer (not blondes, but) baroque, circled pearls and not round and smooth, rather considered as "feminine" .

Attachments

• 100 0658
    100 0658
    35.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 100 0661
    100 0661
    37.5 KB · Views: 46
hmmmm - interesting - i prefer baroque and circled pearls myself (and i'm a real tomboy - even have a motorcycle!) i find perfect, smooth spheres to be kinda boring sometimes (although i can appreciate the rarity and the work involved to get them that way!)

- jodie -

As I am used to say with baroque pearls, we find " beauty beyond perfection"

i find perfect, smooth spheres to be kinda boring sometimes

I bet that's because you haven't seen round, multicolour Kamoka pearls :) I am sure round Cortez pearls are anything but boring in real life too...

- Karin

Who can see a pearl when there is a fish like that on the end of a stick!!!!!!

Holy moley!

I LOVE the perfect pearls, but the off round, baroques etc are the most interesting to wear and look at.

Back